Any thing to do/see in Durham

team tractor

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

The weather may dictate, but a morning walk round the Cathedral, a riverside walk and a pint at Elvet bridge for lunch.  Bradford Stalker gun shop (DH2 1BB) just 12 miles north, on your way to Beamish or Tanfield Steam railway.

RS

if you're after something specific then it's probably worth calling them in advance but if not it'll kill a bit of time, there's not much else near Bradford Stalker but the Angel of the North isn't far away and Newcastle isn't much further up the road (I'm not really a fan of Durham and would really struggle to waste more than an hour there).

Plenty of charity shops if you like a good rummage! If you go on a Saturday or Sunday then hill island brewery in fowlers yard will most likely be open! Pop in and try a few ales brewed there, or if driving pick up a few bottles instead, loads of places for lunch! Lovely walks in pretty much all directions from the market square. Old elvet bridge is a nice photo opportunity from the river bank, there is a sight seeing cruise on the river too. Plenty pubs, as mentioned the indoor market is worth a look too. Chinese all you can eat there for around £8 on the riverbank. Couple of antique shops too! Take a walk up to look at the cathedral too it's rather spectacular I love the place! It's a shame you couldn't see it when the lumiere festival is on. 

38 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Plenty of charity shops if you like a good rummage! If you go on a Saturday or Sunday then hill island brewery in fowlers yard will most likely be open! Pop in and try a few ales brewed there, or if driving pick up a few bottles instead, loads of places for lunch! Lovely walks in pretty much all directions from the market square. Old elvet bridge is a nice photo opportunity from the river bank, there is a sight seeing cruise on the river too. Plenty pubs, as mentioned the indoor market is worth a look too. Chinese all you can eat there for around £8 on the riverbank. Couple of antique shops too! Take a walk up to look at the cathedral too it's rather spectacular I love the place! It's a shame you couldn't see it when the lumiere festival is on. 

+1 I used to love Durham (I can go back to the heady days of "The big meetin") is matched pairs still on old elvet? The loss of the DLI Museum is sad do you know where Wakenshaw,s gun went to,there is a stained glass window memorial  in St Nicholas Newgate street  to the event.