I love October

motty

After a  successful morning flight for ducks (three teal and a mallard shot), Jules and I headed for an old wheat stubble where Jules had spied several pigeons over the past few days. We started with no decoys, so had to shoot a few for the magnet etc.

It wasn't long before we had a convincing spread of dead birds out.  The gusty wind was making shooting tricky, but I think we did quite well.  I thought that a nice 50+ bag was on the cards, but I didn't expect the pigeons to keep coming like they did. We were getting through cartridges at a fair rate, so I knew we were on for a good score.

Gerard joined us in the afternoon to take advantage of the glut of birds. He was soon into the thick of the action.

It really was an unexpectedly good day. When we thought the birds were drying up, another wave would start. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised, as I have had many of my biggest bags in the month of October.

The pick up took a while, but the 5 dogs helped make the job a lot easier.

The final bag was 288 pigeons, 3 crows and a jackdaw.

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Love it super day on the pigeon, beats the pheasant challenge any day. :good::good::good: 

in my time i have spent a huge amount on game shooting..........even now i wince at the money spent...............the trouble is ..looking back over some of the days when the drives have been a bit sparce....................i can only truly remember the bloody pigeons i have shot on those game days...and that ercks me even now ..:lol:

Now that is a lot of pigeons! And to start with none makes it even more impressive, of the seven I shot yesterday one was full of beans one full of hawthorn berries and one full of really dirty barley, but I’ve not seen any significant numbers round here, good work on the duck too! 

1 hour ago, aga man said:

Certainly a good time of year to shoot a big bag, plenty of gangs of young woodies about and no flies to bother things!

The bird on the far left of the picture looks a bit pillow cased! :lol:

Well shot gents.

Yep, plenty of young birds about, but a good amount of adults, too. Unfortunately the flies are still around!

1 hour ago, muncher said:

That was one eaten by one of the young dogs, has one for himself Everytime! Then Carry's on retrieving as normal afterwards.

I'm sure you can spare him one out of that lot!😊

3 minutes ago, motty said:

Yep, plenty of young birds about, but a good amount of adults, too. Unfortunately the flies are still around!

Surprised at that motty they seem to have disappeared here, I shot 70 odd last weekend and never saw a single fly.

It was windy though so perhaps that kept them away.👍