Anyone ever seen this happen on a gun?

WinchesterDave

Hi guys, 

First driven day for me yesterday. Good start to the season apart from getting soaked!!! 

My gun was fine all day, however when I got home I noticed that when closing the gun the top lever wouldn't re-centre! It was stuck in the open position.. 

Never seen this before and it has never happened on any of my guns before after getting wet.  

Any suggestions? 

I was able to close the gun and then manually realign the top lever and then open it again but it was rubbing the wood. 

20181013-161519.jpg

Thanks guys,  

Dave 

Its a Beretta 690 Field iii by the way. 

Dave, please believe me when I say I speak with good intent. Twice in the passed couple of weeks it appears that you have either not spotted them or have chosen to ignore the warning signs. Are you going to get away with it the third time? Just like the car, there's something obviously - and possibly seriously-  wrong with the gun - get it to a 'smith.

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Dave, please believe me when I say I speak with good intent. Twice in the passed couple of weeks it appears that you have either not spotted them or have chosen to ignore the warning signs. Are you going to get away with it the third time? Just like the car, there's something obviously - and possibly seriously-  wrong with the gun - get it to a 'smith.

Cheers for getting back to me mate!

I don't understand why this has happened? The gun has been faultless and has been wet before. I regularly oil the wood after a shoot. 

It was bought new in 2016 and hasn't been used extensively by any stretch of the imagination. 

Edited by WinchesterDave

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

I had exactly the same with my S pigeon. I had to use another gun. All sorted when it was dried out for a few days. 

A reassuring comment to read! Thanks oowee.  It really did get wet yesterday... more so than it has before! I've tried the gun again today and although it's still rubbing it is better than yesterday. 

Once dried thoroughly I will put some wood oil on it :good:

Dave 

Yes, looks to me like the wood has swelled enough to prevent the top lever closing.   Be patient and let it dry slowly, then wood oil if it is as I expect an oilded finish.  Just shows how close the fitting was originally.  Also just check there is not a very small bit of gunge in the action somewhere. I assume you have taken it apart etc etc and cleaned it.  Guns, even very moderate priced ones these days are machined to very tight tolerances ...cnc ....  and even a small particle can foul up and action. 

29 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Let it dry long and slowly.

Do NOT take the woodwork from the metal, it will almost certainly move.

Noted. Thanks. 

I wouldn't attempt that. 

Cheers for the reply:)

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, looks to me like the wood has swelled enough to prevent the top lever closing.   Be patient and let it dry slowly, then wood oil if it is as I expect an oilded finish.  Just shows how close the fitting was originally.  Also just check there is not a very small bit of gunge in the action somewhere. I assume you have taken it apart etc etc and cleaned it.  Guns, even very moderate priced ones these days are machined to very tight tolerances ...cnc ....  and even a small particle can foul up and action. 

Thanks for the reply walker. 

It's got a while before another shoot so it will be let to dry slowly. 

Oil finsihed, yes. Will apply oil once top lever isn't catching. 

In terms of taking it apart; barrels, hand guard and reciever/stock for basic maintainance. I haven't and wont remove any wood from metal. 

Dave :good:

43 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Take the forend off, remove the barrels and dry any excess wetness.

Then put the forend back on to the barrels but off of the action.

Stand both parts in freely moving dry air and face it all downwards. 

Good luck.

Thanks TC :good:

20 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It can only be a wood issue.....metal doesn't swell!

Indeed ha! Cheers. 

I was not suggesting taking the action apart just removing the barrels as normal to clean.  My 410 O/U would not close the top lever last week during a drive and I feared the worst, however a quick look revealed a small bit of leaf trapped between action and barrel....removed that and it closed no problem. Just shows how close tolerances are with this modern CNC stuff.