Anyone ever seen this happen on a gun?

WinchesterDave

What I would do is wait till the gun is fully dried then take the stock off and treat the internal wood using something like wet rot treatment which is a very thin acetone based liquid and totally waterproof. It dries in minutes, leaves no residue or stickiness and won't soak very far into sound wood. Just don't let it get on the oil finished wood.

This problem was quite common on the first batch of Beretta 692s to arrive. It didn't even need rain, just being in our winter climate was enough.

Its a well known problem on them. Beretta were taking them back to begin with but too many were being returned so they has the locals take the wood down a little so it don't happen anymore.

I am sure there is a post on here somewhere about it, since the update i cant find anything i search for.

On 14/10/2018 at 17:42, Scully said:

Shouldn’t happen on a gun of quality. Wood should be seasoned and properly finished. 

Agree it "should'nt happen " . Problem is that the wood was most certainly "kiln" dried to speed up the seasoning process . Thats all part of the modern manufacturing , cost cutting ,high speed production . No modern mass producer wants to have wood standing for 3 years to season naturally as that all adds to cost .

Usually  this it is dried out to fast and to much so that it becomes sponge like and will soak up water and swell .Great for machining and finishing with a lacquer that most have.these day as they are not oiled which water proofs and seals .

I have seem many like this and they need to be dried out in a warm environment [ airing cupboard is good  .When dry any standing wood is best cleaned down and refinished . I used to rub Bee's wax around the inlets before putting a stock back on to seal and help waterproof as it has no detrimental effect on wood .