Brit shot dead in hunting accident, France

chrisjpainter

It always amazes me how people meet their end, this poor fellow has gone all through life with every twist and turn life threw at him just to be going 3mph too slow at that point in his life when he got hit...very sad.  I often fish in Devon and Cornwall for trout in small streams in  remote areas and sometimes hear a "crack" and wonder bet he doesn't know I'm here.

MM

We are pretty lucky here in the UK although I have seen/witnessed a few dangerous shots in my time.    This unfortunate person just happened to ride through a line of guns and was shot by a young man reported as 22yrs old.  He is very likely spending a few years in a French prison as he has been charged with aggravated manslaughter.

Very sad, and something I've always thought about when out shooting, especially taking long shots at night. 

A few years ago near me someone was fishing on the Dove with his son, 1 bullet impacts yards from both of them, they move pretty quick out of the wy behind a bank, then another shot. They ring the police and as they where reporting it another shot. 

The lad that was shooting had just got his 1st C.F. 22.250, he was practicing on his usual range that he used for his 22rf and had no idea what the problem was. He kept his rifle after an investigation but lost it some time later after he shot the roof of a car numerous times that was parked in a car park behind a large bank. ( not quite high enough to shield the car) There's  few local to me tht my of heard about it.

Edited by Dougy
Bloomin predictive text.

My uncle once shot at a rabbit as it bolted into a hedge and peppered a courting couple who were lying canoodling on the other side. It was on his own land and miles from anywhere, so he had no reason at all to suspect that it might be a risky shot. But it just shows that you can never be too careful. 'All the pheasants ever bred...', etc ,etc as the rhyme goes.

16 minutes ago, al4x said:

It’s tragic and one reason I like a thermal spotter even more at night as people can’t hide in the background as they stand out very clearly even when partially obscured by hedges etc

If the shooter was shooting into a wood the chances of hitting someone passing through are remote. The chances of hitting them fatally are even more remote. If he did not see him when he fired how did he know he hit him? I was thinking he maybe aimed at him mistaking him for quarry in which case thermal may not help. 

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

There is a suggestion now this was not a stray bullet but he was actually targeted by the hunter thinking it was an animal!?

It was apparently getting dark and it may have been mistaken identity, or just the media trying to make a story!?

This sounds more likely to me. 

I’m down here for a few days sorting the house out- pesky sanglier have made their way through the reinforced fencing yet again.

Best I don’t cycle down to the builders merchant then! Every year someone gets injured at the Chasse- one offender was a drunk policeman with a ND 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

If the shooter was shooting into a wood the chances of hitting someone passing through are remote. The chances of hitting them fatally are even more remote. If he did not see him when he fired how did he know he hit him? I was thinking he maybe aimed at him mistaking him for quarry in which case thermal may not help. 

This sounds more likely to me. 

The Times had it that he mistook a chap on a bike for a wild boar. I'm not altogether sure how you can confuse the two, but there you go. Would thermal imaging not give a clearer outline of the target though? I don't really know much about it, but I'd have thought you'd be able to pick up a heat pattern enough to tell a tall, thin shape compared to a short fat shape.

31 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

The Times had it that he mistook a chap on a bike for a wild boar. I'm not altogether sure how you can confuse the two, but there you go. Would thermal imaging not give a clearer outline of the target though? I don't really know much about it, but I'd have thought you'd be able to pick up a heat pattern enough to tell a tall, thin shape compared to a short fat shape.

Maybe he was on his bike at the time.

You should be able to clearly identify the target in any the case, whatever method you are shooting. I would not be surprised to hear that he was actually using themal to shoot.  One thing with thermal is you often see just a part of the target which can make it look like something else. Also depending on conditions it can be very hard to see the distance as the landscape may not be visible (if it were all the same temperature) so you would only see a heat mass in the scope with limited context.

You are not allowed to use thermal for badgers on UK licence due to id issues although with some of the new thermal this may change.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

If he was on his bike maybe his shape was confusing? If it was a straight shot then the shooter has no excuse.