Brit shot dead in hunting accident, France

chrisjpainter

34 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

On thermal I think the Shape would not resemble any wild animal. Would be a very odd shape. 

On themal anything can look like anything. I have seen hot ash look like a pheasant, a squirrel look like a roe deer. 🙂

Edited by oowee

19 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

But spot in thermal. Dont you?? 

yep spot with thermal shoot with night vision. when you look through them you will see the logic. great for identifying heat sources but id will never be good enough for me or the man here. that is why clear id is made with nv. it seems a bit daft but until you use this stuff it makes sense. i have heard of some not good things about thermal rifle scopes. but we dont need anymore bad press for  shooting 

26 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

yep spot with thermal shoot with night vision. when you look through them you will see the logic. great for identifying heat sources but id will never be good enough for me or the man here. that is why clear id is made with nv. it seems a bit daft but until you use this stuff it makes sense. i have heard of some not good things about thermal rifle scopes. but we dont need anymore bad press for  shooting 

Oh i dont disagree, I use thermal in devon for spotting but unless I see the whole animal, only done that once woth a roe buck id never rely on it for a scope to shoot at something. 

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

France, is a bit like US has 'unregulated' hunting where people can just wander round freely where they like. In Upstate New York people in rural areas used to send the family to stay elsewhere and bring the horses and cattle into the barn during deer season. People died every year

Well, it is and it isn't, unregulated is a little to wide, there are regulations. There are lots of local groups and clubs that do shoot over all sorts of land, but the French still have exams to sit if you want to wonder and shoot freely yourself!  It still isn't that simple, but without doubt there is a relatively lax attitude to firearms/shotguns and hunting in France compared to the UK.

Loads of post here talking about shapes etc, *** that is no excuse, you don't shoot at anything until you have it identified, and you certainly don't shoot at shapes, unless you are in France of course!!

Around 20 hunting fatalities annually in France, which is nearly 20 more than in the UK!

21 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Loads of post here talking about shapes etc, *** that is no excuse, you don't shoot at anything until you have it identified, and you certainly don't shoot at shapes, unless you are in France of course!!

Around 20 hunting fatalities annually in France, which is nearly 20 more than in the UK!

*** no one is disagreeing with that.

12 hours ago, Dekers said:

Well, it is and it isn't, unregulated is a little to wide, there are regulations. There are lots of local groups and clubs that do shoot over all sorts of land, but the French still have exams to sit if you want to wonder and shoot freely yourself!  It still isn't that simple, but without doubt there is a relatively lax attitude to firearms/shotguns and hunting in France compared to the UK.

Shapes or heat sources, you can spot anything living with a thermal and very easily in the dark. Depending on the quality depends on the I’d, I spot with mine and shoot with nv, but the thermal is what will spot someone 500 yards away in a hedge behind the fox you are about to shoot

On 14/10/2018 at 18:53, Dougy said:

Very sad, and something I've always thought about when out shooting, especially taking long shots at night. 

A few years ago near me someone was fishing on the Dove with his son, 1 bullet impacts yards from both of them, they move pretty quick out of the wy behind a bank, then another shot. They ring the police and as they where reporting it another shot. 

The lad that was shooting had just got his 1st C.F. 22.250, he was practicing on his usual range that he used for his 22rf and had no idea what the problem was. He kept his rifle after an investigation but lost it some time later after he shot the roof of a car numerous times that was parked in a car park behind a large bank. ( not quite high enough to shield the car) There's  few local to me tht my of heard about it.

Roof of the car about chest or even shoulder / neck height for some. 

Head for a child! 

Jesus - shocked they didn’t take that idiots licence the first time! I’m actually amazed that they didn’t! 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Roof of the car about chest or even shoulder / neck height for some. 

Head for a child! 

Jesus - shocked they didn’t take that idiots licence the first time! I’m actually amazed that they didn’t! 

The car was a right off. The rifle owner is a right hole, 1st time was just unbelievable i could not understand why he was not done for that.

Daughter and son in law know  the young chap who was shot .Seems he was a really nice guy.I was unable to offer them any logical explanation as to how he came to be shot .He was a keen cyclist and at this time of the year the slopes are open for a limited time to mountain bikers .Wearing bright cycling gear it seems incredible he was shot.

20 hours ago, Tollerman said:

Daughter and son in law know  the young chap who was shot .Seems he was a really nice guy.I was unable to offer them any logical explanation as to how he came to be shot .He was a keen cyclist and at this time of the year the slopes are open for a limited time to mountain bikers .Wearing bright cycling gear it seems incredible he was shot.

Now don`t shoot me down in flames until you have read the newspaper for yourself but his Sister Katie of South Wales says she is "glad he is dead" "and his Mother said "my only regret is he died so quickly" as reported in the Sun because he allegedly repeatedly raped and beat his sister so perhaps not such a nice guy.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

Now don`t shoot me down in flames until you have read the newspaper for yourself but his Sister Katie of South Wales says she is "glad he is dead" "and his Mother said "my only regret is he died so quickly" as reported in the Sun because he allegedly repeatedly raped and beat his sister so perhaps not such a nice guy.

Have also seen this. Reports that at aged 11 he attempted to stab a school mate, and other things that are less that nice. But still the circumstances of his death are sad, not only has he lost his life, the 22yr old hunter now has to live knowing that he has shot someone when it was never his intention. 

28 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Have also seen this. Reports that at aged 11 he attempted to stab a school mate, and other things that are less that nice. But still the circumstances of his death are sad, not only has he lost his life, the 22yr old hunter now has to live knowing that he has shot someone when it was never his intention. 

I don't think we have the facts of the shooting. It could be the case that he hit the target he was aiming at, even if it was not his intention to shoot a cyclist. Unless it was a complete accident the shooter should feel the full force of the law which if found to be reckless should include prison. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

I don't think we have the facts of the shooting. It could be the case that he hit the target he was aiming at, even if it was not his intention to shoot a cyclist. Unless it was a complete accident the shooter should feel the full force of the law which if found to be reckless should include prison. 

I dont think any hunter would go out intending to kill someone, Is what im sayin, and now what ever the circumstances that 22yr old has to live with it for the rest of his life..