Fitbit type recommendations

clumber

There are some good articles on line, the market is huge and really depends on what you do, I'm looking at the you move as its meant to be really good for swimming, you can wear it on your wrist or leg, but you get no display on it, it gives you data through the app.

For swimming there are no very good ones unless your open water swimming. The best one for swimming is the Apple i watch all others can get confused ive been looking for over a year for one.

If your looking for just general excersise any fitbit will be good, some good reveiws online.

So much depends on your budget, what you actually want it for (general activity tracking, specific sports use, etc), that it's impossible to actually answer the question.

You can buy a cheapo one for £20 or less, or spend £500+ on a top-end Garmin or Suunto.

Personally, I've got a Garmin 235. It was about £200, and it does background HR and recovery monitoring, along with GPS / elevation / HR for all my running (up to marathon distance), cycling, turbo training (indoor cycling interval sessions). Battery lasts at least a week between charges.

My mum, on the other hand, has a Garmin Vivofit. It tracks steps, tells the time ... and that's it. It cost about £40. Battery lasts 18 months before needing to be changed.

Edited by robbiep

not having a mobile telephone i find all of this stuff very strange..........................am i missing out on something....will it make me a better person...will i at last find  peace.........?

are bitfits good for you

Edited by ditchman

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

not having a mobile telephone i find all of this stuff very strange..........................am i missing out on something....will it make me a better person...will i at last find  peace.........?

are bitfits good for you

I was looking at the different fitness bands available and there are lots, as robbiep says depending on your budget and what you do, one that's available gives you a shock if your not active enough!! That's the one my missus wants me to have 😣 

What do you want it to do? If you just want it to count steps and monitor your heart beat over 24 hours, you can get a cheap Chinese one for a few quid on E-Bay. I've had mine 2 years and it still works fine - if I ever use it. And that's the thing. Once the novelty has worn off and you know that a day's work will involve X number of steps etc ,etc,  and that your normal exercise bike routine pushes your heart rate up to 115, it all becomes a bit pointless. No doubt there are excellent devices out there that will do everything bar bring you tea in the morning, but I don't mind betting that 90% have a short working life before finishing up in the back of a drawer.

Thanks all for replying. 

I've recently had a heart attack and I'm waiting for results of scans as I've got a blocked artery still in there!

At the mo, trying to do something without being told to slow down is wearing a bit thin, got a nagging for working on the landy! Family mean well and it's nice to know they care but I'm getting bored!

Im after something that will give a general overview of the days activity so if I feel rough I can see what I've done, heart rate, distance etc.

I'd like to be able to set a daily target then increase this as I get stronger without the guesswork of being, say, out with the dogs for an hour and not knowing how far I've been.

Not interested in swimming but have a old bike in the shed so that may get a dust off.

Thanks again,  C.