Thousands visit BASC website to help challenge ban on shooting in Wales

Debbie BASC

Thousands visit BASC website to help challenge ban on shooting in Wales

More than 8,000 people have visited a dedicated webpage set up by BASC to help challenge a ban on shooting imposed by Natural Resources Wales (NRW).

The page (https://basc.org.uk/nrw/) was published following the decision by NRW to ban pheasant shooting on all public land following intervention from environment minister Hannah Blythyn AM.

More than 2,700 people have visited a page which allows them to email the office of the environment minister direct and more than 2,500 people have visited a page which allows them to email their Assembly Member.

Almost 700 people have visited a page which allows them to email NRW direct and a page hosting an open letter by BASC Council member Ian Coghill to Hannah Blythyn has been visited more than 2,600 times (https://basc.org.uk/blog/nrw/an-open-letter-to-hannah-blythyn/).

BASC Wales director Steve Griffiths said: "These figures are fantastic. We are delighted that people have let Hannah Blythyn, Natural Resources Wales and Assembly Members know the strength of feeling on this issue.  

"If you have taken the time to visit our site and lobby your AM, Hannah Blythyn or NRW then thank you. If you haven't yet done so, please put aside a couple of minutes of your time to do so.  

"There is still work to be done and people need to continue getting the message across that shooting must be protected."

ENDS

4 hours ago, Scully said:

It is indeed good news if those visits have been converted into responses, but there is a difference between ‘visiting’ and responding. For example I have visited at least three of the pages mentioned but I haven’t responded. 

Now's the time Scully.

Edited by browning123

4 hours ago, old'un said:

The LACS managed 12,500 signatures calling for the ban.

This petition against the ban is still live and as managed 5,509 what does that tell you about the future of shooting in the UK…https://www.change.org/p/natural-resources-wales-uphold-game-shooting-on-nrw-land

Tells you that shooters in England and Scotland are not fussed by the issue in Wales. In the most blunt way of putting it. Very much a case of its not affecting me, i dont shoot in wales, which is the worst way of looking at it. 

If basc have 150,00 members, 8k is a pathetic hit rate on the website, sorry Debbie if this is a negative reply but im sorry its true, 8,000 hits on the website when there are 150,00 members, and will be more than 8000 welsh shooters too. 

I have responded, I dont shoot in wales and live just over the bridge in Somerset so one day I might want to, so that is the reason for me responding. But everyone should be responding, no matter where you shoot or dont shoot, if it goes ahead in wales it will happen else where. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

I,m a BASC member who lives in Wales andthis is the first I,ve heard of it which would suggst that as ever BASC are being lazy. Why have they not e mailed all members? Maybe if they had not blocked me on twitter a couple of years ago for being a bit rude to them I might have found out about it. I have already signed the CA petition and through them contacted my AM and the minister. 

45 minutes ago, Twymyn said:

I,m a BASC member who lives in Wales andthis is the first I,ve heard of it which would suggst that as ever BASC are being lazy. Why have they not e mailed all members? Maybe if they had not blocked me on twitter a couple of years ago for being a bit rude to them I might have found out about it. I have already signed the CA petition and through them contacted my AM and the minister. 

You need to update your email address with BASC then, as I got an email from them regarding this week's ago. 

42 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

You need to update your email address with BASC then, as I got an email from them regarding this week's ago. 

Same as the above.  Also, if you're getting yourself blocked on twitter for "being a bit rude". that's your fault, not theirs.

12 hours ago, Twymyn said:

Yes I did and its not relevant to this thread. I mentioned it as a possible explanation of why I was unaware of the BASC campaign

And by the way my BASC e mail is up to date and I had already contacted my AM and the minister as explained in my original post

So you are just moaning for the sake of it? BASC have emailed this out to all members, check junk box or your settings maybe? Its been all over social media and this forum. And Debbie has put three posts up from BASC about this. 

I've said this before on other forums, and I'm still awaiting comment from Debbie, so I'll raise it on here

Why arent basc pursuing a judicial review on the decison? A public body have made this decision and I've a strong feeling that if the basis upon which it was made was subject to judicial scrutiny it wouldn't stand up.

So basc, or any of the other shooting organisations, have you taken legal advice on the prospects of the judicial review succeeding and if not, why not? 

Novice

57 minutes ago, Novice said:

I've said this before on other forums, and I'm still awaiting comment from Debbie, so I'll raise it on here

Why arent basc pursuing a judicial review on the decison? A public body have made this decision and I've a strong feeling that if the basis upon which it was made was subject to judicial scrutiny it wouldn't stand up.

So basc, or any of the other shooting organisations, have you taken legal advice on the prospects of the judicial review succeeding and if not, why not? 

Novice

They are taking advice

https://basc.org.uk/blog/key-issues/media-key-issues/basc-seeks-advice-on-legal-challenge-to-nrw/

1 hour ago, oowee said:

That's excellent news. From what I see I think there's a cracking opportunity to call them out and force an about turn in their decision. The antis do it often enough, it would be great for shooting to be the beneficiary for once.

Novice

Contacted my AM who is in full support of NRW and the assembly decision to stop shooting on land controlled by NRW.What is worrying is that he is also in the running to be elected first minister.As NRW have also mentioned wildfowling in their letters to the environment minister it seems that there is a duel attack on shooting in Wales.We must not let apathy be our downfall.All shooting men and women in Wales must contact their AM and let their feelings be known.BASC must also at this time step up to the mark and fight our corner with vigour.

2 hours ago, greylag said:

Contacted my AM who is in full support of NRW and the assembly decision to stop shooting on land controlled by NRW.What is worrying is that he is also in the running to be elected first minister.As NRW have also mentioned wildfowling in their letters to the environment minister it seems that there is a duel attack on shooting in Wales.We must not let apathy be our downfall.All shooting men and women in Wales must contact their AM and let their feelings be known.BASC must also at this time step up to the mark and fight our corner with vigour.

What was their reason for backing the NRW? Personaly anti opinion or do they have evidence that its bad or un economical for it to be a good thing? Id push them.. 

I have attempted to get a reasonable reply why he supports the ban but as he has always voted against country sports I doubt he would give a positive answer.I do intend to turn up to his surgery and attempt to have a face to face chat.I fear if he is successful in being voted first minister we may have an uphill struggle to win over the Welsh Labour party.