V.A.T

walshie

I ordered a picatinny rail for my CZ from the U.S. It was quite a bit cheaper than buying one from the U.K. Postage was dear though at $26 odd, but overall still cheaper than buying one here. Imagine my joy to find the postman has posted a card saying they couldn't deliver it because it had duty to pay on it. Plus an £8 handling charge for not delivering it. 

My understanding is that no duty was payable under £135, so this must be VAT as it was around 20%, a bit more actually.

So now it would have been cheaper to buy said item from the U.K and had it delivered next day instead of over a week. That'll teach me. 

Does everyone get fleeced like this or was I just unlucky? 

Edited by walshie

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I ordered a picatinny rail for my CZ from the U.S. It was quite a bit cheaper than buying one from the U.K. Postage was dear though at $26 odd, but overall still cheaper than buying one here. Imagine my joy to find the postman has posted a card saying they couldn't deliver it because it had duty to pay on it. Plus an £8 handling charge for not delivering it. 

My understanding is that no duty was payable under £135, so this must be VAT as it was around 20%, a bit more actually.

So now it would have been cheaper to buy said item from the U.K and had it delivered next day instead of over a week. That'll teach me. 

Does everyone get fleeced like this or was I just unlucky? 

I get this on a regular basis! The Post Office will not deliver to door, as postman cannot take cash or card payment for any VAT or duty owed. So you have to make the journey to the sorting office (20 mile round trip!) and then pay the taxes, plus a ruddy handling charge, which you would not have had to pay if the postman had delivered!  My advice? If buying anything from the States (or anywhere else), then get seller to  email dimensions and weight of package, contact Parcel Broker here in UK, (brilliant small company!) and book a courier collection in the USA...............on anything bigger than a shoebox, it works out cheaper! Tracked, insured and delivered to your door, faster than USPS mail and tracked all the way!