Not walking on lead

yod dropper

I've now had my border terrier a month and she's 15 weeks old. I'd say she's shown some caution but not timidity, is active and inquisitive. She seems to be receptive to training and I've some decent recall with her. Usually, she will follow me about the garden. She trusts me and wears a collar with no problems and will move about with a lead attached. She's not frightened of people, traffic, other dogs or bikes. I've had her on a lead on the road outside the house and she happily followed another dog and also ran up the road to meet a family member.  However, most of the time she sits, sometimes stands and refuses to walk.  With some effort I can occasionally get her to take a few steps. Nearly all of the online advice is about dogs pulling rather than not moving. Before this gets too ingrained, PW, any ideas?

Edited by yod dropper

my BT wont walk in any form of harness or jacket, just sits or refuses to move, can you encourage her with treats and get her to move a little at a time? im having the complete opposite atm where i cant get mine off the lead.. recalls great but as soon as he want to go his ears stop working and i have to chase him for miles😭

1 hour ago, yod dropper said:

I've now had my border terrier a month and she's 15 weeks old. I'd say she's shown some caution but not timidity, is active and inquisitive. She seems to be receptive to training and I've some decent recall with her. Usually, she will follow me about the garden. She trusts me and wears a collar with no problems and will move about with a lead attached. She's not frightened of people, traffic, other dogs or bikes. I've had her on a lead on the road outside the house and she happily followed another dog and also ran up the road to meet a family member.  However, most of the time she sits, sometimes stands and refuses to walk.  With some effort I can occasionally get her to take a few steps. Nearly all of the online advice is about dogs pulling rather than not moving. Before this gets too ingrained, PW, any ideas?

It would appear you are not possibly the pack leader and as such she wants to stay rather than go with you.

You need to make the walks with you the highlight of the day and fun. 

I'm not a dog expert at all but when my cocker was about 3 months old he was pretty much the same. I tried to encourage him with treats and making the walk as fun as possible...It didn't work all the times 😂.

Then little by little he started enjoying the walks and after 5-6 weeks he was absolutely ok. Now he's 11 months and when I get the lead he goes crazy...👍

I'd say it is just a matter of time. Be patient.

Again no expert.....

What kind of lead are you using? If she values you as a leader you could use an extendable lead so as you walk off a distance she may feel the need to follow...

Is there any 'high value' treat she cant resist that would get her moving? (sausage/chicken/toy?)

Is there another dog you can walk with to show her theres nothing to worry about and what she is expected to do?

Well, 48 hrs later I've broken it. The garden, what's in it and what I do in it are more interesting than what's normally on the road. As treats weren't enough incentive, she had to go on a lead to her meals, she quite forgot herself. I then chose when the schoolchildren were going past and luckily some dogs so that was more interesting than out the back.  Had her up and down the road twice now though she still sits down when she either isn't sure or really wants to see something so I'm exercising patience with her for now rather than forcing it. Now working on getting her moving on command both off and on the lead. My brother's BT is here for a few days soon so I'll expect some decent progress then.

• 2 weeks later...

Just mind at 15 weeks it doesn't need much, 5-10 mins be plenty.

I'd just be playing with it slip lead on continue to play with it, fed it  lead on etc so the lead is no big thing.

even just doing 1min round garden walking with lead on a few times.

Try changing ur treats, to higher value treats say chicken smoked suasage etc just intially to get it going then back to low value treats and save high value treats for other important things like recall

At that age its all just play conditioning/training and nothing too long time wise as short attention spans