20 Bore recomendations for Game

JRDS

Going to buy one for Game Shooting but am in 2 minds what to get, have given up on the idea of a Crown on the value for money front.  I have a 12 Bore 32inch 692 I use for Clays and Pigeons so will probably stick with that length, it is just too heavy to cart round Game Shooting and we do a lot of walking.

The shortlist is :

Miroku MK60 GRD5 High pheasant to get the higher stock than standard and have it bored out.

Beretta 686 or 690 M/C

Browning UK Hunter M/C.

I have a concern with the Miroku in that they are marked for Lead Shot only, if I have it bored out to 1/2 & 1/2 or 1/4 & 1/2 would that negate that issue.

Any thoughts welcome before I take the plunge, thanks.

I have recently bought a new Franchi elegant . The shotgun is very comfortable swings through brilliantly and with it being a Berreta owned company now with some of there 

specs intergrated into the design etc comes up very good .£925 with ABS case trigger locks chokes etc very good value for money.

19 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Get a SBS 12! Lighter and more comfortable to carry than an O/U.

I have just sold one to finance this that I used last season, lovely gun but after years shooting single trigger guns struggled with the double trigger.

Edited by JRDS

Have you looked at the Beretta Superlight 12g? Will be roughly the same fit as your 692, but a faction of the weight. 

Its what I used before I went to 20g and the weight difference is neglible. My mate nagged me to sell it to him )and he still has it some 10 years later) and that was the push for me to change to 20. 

If I were to shoot 12 game again it’s what I would get without hesitation. 

i would go either Beretta 687 as they really do handle well or a Ceasar Guerini another very nice 20 bore. 

The other cheap and very nice gun i would look at would be the new crop of ATA guns they are designed as a Beretta 687/686 and have some stunning wood and nice engraving for not a lot of money.

I've just purchased a Browning 525 m/c 20 bore for my game shooting, And i also have a 525 12g which I've been using on game for the last few seasons. I practised and shot well with the 20 on clays and if I shoot as good with it on game this season - I will sell the 12 g.

The reason for buying the 20 is less weight as I'm 71 years of age, bad back and I want to continue my shooting for a few more years.

Recently bought a used 20 bore Heritage, 30" m/c barrels. I would stick with 30"barrels rather than the 32", unless you are planning to use it for ultra high birds, but then I would use a 12 bore.  The Heritage weighs in a shade over 7lbs. and is very well balanced, making it feel a pound lighter.  I have used it with a varied mixture of cartridges, but have settled with Cheddite 7 1/2's for clays and Hull 24 gram 6's for game. Both barrels are 1/4 cokes. If I have any issues at all, it is the manual safety. I am well versed in the use of both auto and manual safety catches, but usually both in their intended environments.  I never use the safety on my clay guns and they are off all of the time, however when I use the Heritage for game, I find that I am constantly thumbing back the safety catch, even though it is on. I am used to my S x S for game, which has an auto safe, which I push off as I am mounting the gun to cheek and shoulder. I have shot with the S x S for some 40 years and old habits die hard  !  My previous 20, which I traded in was a Beretta 30" fixed choke 1/4 & 1/2, both guns do what I would have expected, but I think the Heritage has the edge for handling. 

Oh, and RC 25 gram 6's shoot very well too ! 

Edited by Westley

I shook a 687 SP V beretta with fixed 1/4 and 1/2 and 28” barrels. With an ounce of 6’s anything inside of 40 yards that doesn’t come down is my fault. The gun is a shade over 6lb and swings and points beautifully. I will never sell it. 

The only 20’s that have tempted me to add to it would be a 30” multi choke version of the same (just for a little more versatility) or a Rizzini round body with the same specs because they are beautiful and feel amazing in a shop (have shot one yet). 

Thanks

rick

1 hour ago, snow white said:

28 gram all day in my lincoln 20 bore with 28 inch barrels.

If i am on really high birds 32/34 black gold do the job just fine

34 gram through a 20 Bore seems excessive, anything more than a 30 gram id be picking up a 12 bore.

How do the 34 gram pattern and what shot size.

Thay pattern very good shot 5 or 4 i have shot a 20 bore for more years than i can remember.

I dont see any reason to use a 12 if i can fetch birds down with a 20 and as for using 30/32 inch barrels thats a no go for me if i was using that size barrel then i would the 12 out but i will stick with my 20.

Thinking outside the Browning, Beretta, Miroku box, how about a S/H 20g Macnab Highlander. 29 inch barrels, POW stock, solid top rib.

What`s not to like. Made by Battista Rizzini (the better of the Rizzini clan). 

There`s a few on Guntrader. Well worth a look.

Just a thought.

OB

Well have bought a 20 bore 30 inch UK Hunter today, first impressions are very good.  It has lovely ergonomics and handles very nicely.  A bit more flexible than the Miroku being fully compatible with steel and flexible with the MC, the only thing I don't like is the gold trigger why do they do that!! :)  Can't see how a Crown is 3k more looking at it in the flesh.

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

Well have bought a 20 bore 30 inch UK Hunter today, first impressions are very good.  It has lovely ergonomics and handles very nicely.  A bit more flexible than the Miroku being fully compatible with steel and flexible with the MC, the only thing I don't like is the gold trigger why do they do that!! :) Can't see how a Crown is 3k more looking at it in the flesh.

Should you be looking for any additional chokes, I bought a Briley flush choke in I/C for £24 from Chris Potter Guns, for my Browning.