Loads of Wasps

TIGHTCHOKE

On 16/10/2018 at 21:17, davewh100 said:

one of my mates was stung last week he's a builder his hand came up like a balloon, i didn't know there was different types of wasps 

Funny, I always remember the old Alexie Sayle skit (not a comedian I normally like actually) about wasps. He started off talking about bees, and how as a kid you're always told not to annoy them and they won't annoy you.They can be a bit worrying but they're basically harmless 'bumbling around like a big drunk uncle at a party'. And then he goes on to wasps . "But wasps are different. You don't have to annoy wasps.They're the skinheads of the insect world and they'll sting you for no reason at all!'

Yes, it's that time when workers start to die off and new queens start to look for sleeping quarters for winter. My Pro vermin killer tells me it has been a bonus year on nest destruction.

We have been getting two or three dead ones in our attic area for about two months now and although I have checked the whole roof with binos cannot see a nest anywhere.  Had one queen come down the chimney into the log burner yesterday, which startled my wife when she opened the doors. 

The danger is they are dopey and it is easy not to notice them and put a hand or bare foot on them, resulting in a sting.

Its always a bad time of year for them.

Havent been stung for more years than i can remember till 2 mornings ago,in bed.Missus came up with a cup of coffee first thing and i sat up and pushed myself up with my arm when i got a stinging pain,yelped and on looking saw a wasp attached to my forearm.Swiped him away and was left with the sting still on.

Hate the little hoors and it doesnt take much to get their stings up the now.

Yup all the walls are filled with them, I've had to tape up the air bricks to stops the **** coming in. I'm surrounded by fruit trees which doesn't help either. Also I shoot on the airfield and there is a European Hornets nest near one of the drives. They only appear at night and attack the car lights. I had 4 in the car and around 20 just hanging on to the car. These are massive and very aggressive, I don't think 32g 6s would take them out either!!

Bloody wasps ! On one of my perms I have a regular 'siiting out spot' for Charlie in a hay barn. There's one missing slat in the barn siding and by stacking the bales properly I can sit there all evening with the caller out in the field in front of me and whack any Charlies that happen along. Perfect on a drizzly night as I'm in the dry and out of sight, sat comfy on a straw bale ....

Until a couple of weeks back when I started to re-arrange the bales to make a nice seat at the right height and uncovered a wasp nest between the bales. Working in the gloom I didn't realise what I'd done until the damned things were all over me. Several stings on my arms, a couple on my legs, and one on my eye-lid led to a VERY hasty evacuation of the barn. Leaving my bag, my jacket and my rifle behind meant I had to wait outside sheltering from the drizzle under a tree for a good half an hour while I waited for them the settle a bit so I could retrieve my gear. All that time I could see them coming out of the barn and 'sweeping the area' for intruders, several of which even made it to me standing about 100yds away.

Apart from the stings and a spoiled evenings shooting the most annoying thing is that due to them being in the hay barn I can't give them a treatment of unleaded and a match like I normally would, and nor can I poison them as this would affect the hay which is needed for feed.

Don't like 'em. Never liked 'em, and never will like 'em.