Intack Farm, Southwaite

Scully

Visited this ground for the first time last weekend for an ES 100 comp', and really enjoyed it. Met up with a mate and we did the rounds. There were a few folk I knew and many I didn't, and made a couple of new friends along the way, including a young lass who totally out shot me on the high tower! 😀 Just couldn't find them at all...high pheasants and pigeons seem much easier! There was also a very long crosser which frustrated me also as I didn't expect to struggle on it at all, which I only managed to get to grips with a couple of times, and some really interesting birds, including one which seemed to just summon enough lift to appear over a hedge before dropping towards you, giving you just enough time to kill it before it broke on the ground, and another very slow bolting bunny which could more accurately be described as a crippled rabbit which literally dropped from a very slow turning trap and then trickled down a slope, which was very easy to miss if you mounted your gun before hand ( the wait was eons! ) followed by a deceptive right to left quartering bird coming in low and fast from behind. Very interesting.

The owners have obviously put a lot of time and money into this shoot and it's one I intend to visit more frequently. I could really get back into clays, I really could. Cracking day. 

Right. 

Prices are £15.00 per 50 clays. Entries are from 11am - 2pm

Dates for remainder of year:

11th Nov-100 bird comp

9th Dec comp

30th Dec Christmas comp

Intack Farm. Southwaite. CA4 0LH

For more info contact Matthew on 

Cumbria Clay Shooting for those on FB. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been over to shoot at this ground and it was a well organised shoot.

Some of the regulars who shoot there also come across to Marne Clay Shoot at Catterick and I am hopeful that we will be able to arrange a few friendly competition between the two Grounds next year as they normally hold their events on opposing weekend to Marne.

Well worth the visit, nice targets and a nice friendly crowd.   

Good day here today in a 100 Comp.

Started with a well attended minutes silence in the rain followed by some intriguing targets which included a nippy little pink low crosser and a zipping yellow one which I never got to grips with. 

There were some very good shots there ( excluding myself ) and some very nice and expensive guns also. I love to see what other people are using, and got to handle a really nice Browning ‘Sportrap’; I love a plain unadorned action whether it be silver or black. 

Anyhow, mate and me did the rounds, him with his Winchester Grey and me with my Perazzi. We had a bite to eat then went round again, this time him with his Browning 525 20 bore and me with my Winchester 8500 trap. I see much more rib than I’m used to with this gun but after trying it on a pattern plate up at the farm I now know exactly where it prints, and straighted the first stand. Choked at full and extra full it literally turns clays to dust when you hit them centre pattern and despite the clouds now having parted which meant having to shoot through the sun on most stands, ans this being the first time I’d used this gun in over three years I went on to shoot just four less than I had with the Perazzi.

I’m just an average clay shooter but was chuffed with this. Mate improved on his score with the 20 over the 12.

Could really really get back into this sport and thoroughly enjoyed the day. There are targets for everyone; those lads who shoot into the 90’s wouldn’t be disappointed with the layout and those who are comparative beginners would find something on which to build confidence. Those in attendance ranged from good old boys who are obvious veterans with  all the gear and plenty of idea, to a family with kids in attendance learning the ropes and all of us in between. Cracking day. 

Edited to add: I forgot to mention a ‘squirrel’ target which trickled out of a hedge and across the path at about two miles an hour after a wait of what seemed like minutes; believe it or not I missed two of these through extra full choke! 😀

Next time we’re taking the autos. 👍

Edited by Scully

3 minutes ago, matone said:

Yes,a very good layout today! One of those pesky hedgehogs escaped me too despite shot being all around it ......

😀 Yes, I know what you mean. A mate missed it twice also....it just seemed to trundle through the pattern! We all looked on in disbelief.