Dutch Oven

Jonty

Thanks for the advice, I'll get it seasoned.  I have a fire pit that I cook on in the garden so it will get plenty of use.  When we moved into the house (it's got plenty of space and a beck at the bottom of the garden) my wife pointed out that I'd dug/built the firepit before I'd got around to assembling the kids' beds!

53 minutes ago, figgy said:

Go on then Ditchy whats an apple pie ?

apple pie is when you fold the sheet up...making the inside of the bed half the length,........................oh what jolly japes we used to play.............

getting ready for the real world when you hold her head under the duvet...after a saturday night in the targ mahal resturant...with 1/2 a doz lagers toboot.........

whats a dutch oven in your context ?............anything like snatching mullet !

Edited by ditchman

First time I ate from a dutch oven was up in The Rockies. The young lass cooking for us turned out some superb food.  She set the fire in shallow holes dug in the ground and then covered the 'ovens' with hot ashes as well.  She did some sponge cakes which she split and layered with jam and cream, awesome.  This was in a tented outcamp 2hrs horse ride from the nearest 4X4 vehicle access and up around 7000ft.  Long and slow brisket to die for.  Amazing what you can do with one of those pots.

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

First time I ate from a dutch oven was up in The Rockies. The young lass cooking for us turned out some superb food.  She set the fire in shallow holes dug in the ground and then covered the 'ovens' with hot ashes as well.  She did some sponge cakes which she split and layered with jam and cream, awesome.  This was in a tented outcamp 2hrs horse ride from the nearest 4X4 vehicle access and up around 7000ft.  Long and slow brisket to die for.  Amazing what you can do with one of those pots.

Brisket, that's got my juices flowing - thanks.... I'll do some research

They call them potjie pots in South Africa, and they're magnificent things to cook in. If you Google 'potjiekos recipes', it'll throw up lots of ideas for you. Enjoy! The possibilities are pretty well infinite. The only thing I"d say is if your pot is cast (which it should be) take time to break it in properly.