What Carts for Crows??

Whatmuff

Hi

I have been shooting on a bit of land with a mate and the farmer has asked to keep the crows down as he has started drilling and there are hundreds. Been out today with Gamebore 32g 6s and 30g 6s and they just bounce off them! Unless the crows are in around the 30-40 yrd Mark they just don't kill them! I'm using an FAC Winchester SX3 Semi. Any hints or ideas what I can use? 

Thanks 

Do you also shoot pigeon? Is it at all possible that as they're larger than pigeon you're confusing the range and they're further away than you think? I only shoot them on the spring and winter drillings - so warm and wet just now that the barley had sprouted so fast they never had a chance and I had no shooting - and fall into that trap on the fist time out.

35 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Rc sipe no5 . (Which is actually an english 4.5 ) 

Crows dont like to decoy is so easy and then long shots are taken with reduced success. 

Tighten the choke..increase the shot size or get em closer. 

Never had any problems decoying black’uns, five or six dead birds on sticks and they decoy easy.

1 hour ago, Whatmuff said:

Hi

I have been shooting on a bit of land with a mate and the farmer has asked to keep the crows down as he has started drilling and there are hundreds. Been out today with Gamebore 32g 6s and 30g 6s and they just bounce off them! Unless the crows are in around the 30-40 yrd Mark they just don't kill them! I'm using an FAC Winchester SX3 Semi. Any hints or ideas what I can use? 

Thanks 

Crows, rooks and to an extent jackdaws have two approaches - multiple small strikes designed to take out nervous system and vertebrae/wings or large pellets to punch through breast plate for heart/lungs.

My preference is for the former and my favourite cartridge is white gold 28g 7.5  choked 1/4 or light mod rather than go with the alternative 32g to 36g no 5 and stepping up the choke to 3/4 or full.

1 hour ago, Ajarrett said:

Hmm! 

I shot 82 Saturday and 121 today - all shot with 32g 6s Fiocchi. Clear pigeon just as good. Decoying; wide of the decoys; high overhead - all the same. Average over the two trips 1.61:1

I also use 32g 6s Fiocchi and perform well . The key to success is get em in as close as possible and smoke them :shoot:

yesterday morning dropped to carion crows that thought they were high enough to be out of range. I used 32g 5 Jocker carts

through Half choke, never seen them before but I am a big fan of them now. Going to buy as many as i can afford for the upcoming season.

Edited by Mr gen

NSI Sipe cartridges with 32 gr of #5 for me if I'm 'out on the black stuff'. Not many fly away from that :) I use the same shell in #6 for pigeon but they don't seem to have the clout of the #5's when it comes to rooks, crows and maggies.

One perm owner just treated me to a slab of Pigeon Extreme ( 34gr #5) last weekend and I'll be seeing how they deal with the black stuff after work today :)

Edited by Longstrider

20 hours ago, Mr gen said:

yesterday morning dropped to carion crows that thought they were high enough to be out of range. I used 32g 5 Jocker carts

through Half choke, never seen them before but I am a big fan of them now. Going to buy as many as i can afford for the upcoming season.

What gun are you using? 

I found them quite punchy through my A303. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

What gun are you using? 

I found them quite punchy through my A303. 

I was useing my Browning 525 both barrels half choke. they are quite a punchy cartridge but being a bit of a lump myself i tend to soak up alot of recoil. The crows didnt argue with them both stone dead which is good going for a bird like that at good altitude. 

5 hours ago, Mr gen said:

I was useing my Browning 525 both barrels half choke. they are quite a punchy cartridge but being a bit of a lump myself i tend to soak up alot of recoil. The crows didnt argue with them both stone dead which is good going for a bird like that at good altitude. 

Thanks for the reply, I don't think I'd dare put them through my 686s 😂 

I did mention it to my rfd once and he said the 24g clay carts they make aren't much better, something to do with how cheap they are. 

• 3 months later...