What Carts for Crows??

Whatmuff

On 17/10/2018 at 17:51, Whatmuff said:

Hi

I have been shooting on a bit of land with a mate and the farmer has asked to keep the crows down as he has started drilling and there are hundreds. Been out today with Gamebore 32g 6s and 30g 6s and they just bounce off them! Unless the crows are in around the 30-40 yrd Mark they just don't kill them! I'm using an FAC Winchester SX3 Semi. Any hints or ideas what I can use? 

Thanks 

On 17/10/2018 at 17:51, Whatmuff said:

Hi

I have been shooting on a bit of land with a mate and the farmer has asked to keep the crows down as he has started drilling and there are hundreds. Been out today with Gamebore 32g 6s and 30g 6s and they just bounce off them! Unless the crows are in around the 30-40 yrd Mark they just don't kill them! I'm using an FAC Winchester SX3 Semi. Any hints or ideas what I can use? 

Thanks 

I  use the Gamebore 35 gr  no 5 fibre wad through my SX3  for crows.

They do the job very well but not cheap !!!!!  but a step up from 32gr  no 6 which is my normal pigeon cartridge.

My best was 100 in 60 mins witnessed and all with my 16 Gauge 3/4 choke Remy 1100 shooting #6s. Put them in the pattern.  I also these days flatten a fair few with 18.7g of #6s out of my Hushy Mossy 500 410.  If they are spooky on plastic decoys then use the real thing. Just one or two real ones are worth a dozen plastic sometimes.  Keep out of sight in a good hide and let them come in as I know they spook much easier than pigeons..  That point when they set their wings and start to glide in gets the pulse racing.

I would be very wealthy if I had a fiver for every crow I have shot with the old 12 gauge Eley Grand Prix #5s with my grandfathers BSA Box lock side by side, both flighting into the wood and over a single decoy.

Edited by Walker570

I've been shooting a 410 hushpower with fiocchi f410 19g 6s for a lot of rooks/ jackdaws pigeons and I find them the best killing cartridges I've used on birds 30 yards with a nice clean shot most of them fall stone dead you get the odd one or 2 obviously, but I find using subsonics, they can't be heard after 250 yards in a gentle breeze, but they seem to cost loads more than 12 g cartridges but don't kill no where near as good as fiocchis but are no louder than an air gun pros and cons to everything,  sorry I'm ranting on again

Edited by Shotguneddy

I find crows difficult to shoot and have to go through a mindset to ensure that I don't point at them and give them enough lead. They decoy well and also you can call them close. Position the hide so they  do not come at you in the hide but pass you to the decoys into  wind. I remember a discussion with JDog when I quoted a situation when the wind was so strong that the birds were passing me and when they went into a glide for the decoys they actually went backwards and I had to shoot behind slightly otherwise I was missing in front.

Crows are one of the most intelligent birds so what chance have I got!!!!!!

A guy I’ve done a bit of shooting with swears by 32g 5’s and uses a primos crow caller to bring them in to a comfortable range, if you’re not using a caller it could be something to consider (they take some practice, I tried and sound like a dying duck 😂)  just to get them that bit closer 

• 1 month later...

Seems a good few of you guys are using some heafty cartridges for the blacks, maybe that's one reason I have little luck on the beggars. Also I shoot mainly pigeons and wear contact lenses, so they can appear closer than they really are. The last time I was on them I got so frustrated, I gave up and came home 😵 I may get some on my main perm shortly as barley is about to be sewn, so will try your suggestions of tighter choke, heavier loads and maybe no lenses. 

31 minutes ago, JDog said:

I had to pass up several chances at Crows this week. They were no more than 30m away but I just couldn’t find the 34gram no.4s at the bottom of my bag in time. 

At that range you need at least 36g of BB through a full choke gun. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's be honest, a crow takes no more killing than a woodpigeon.  I tend to use a moderated Mossy 410 and my own load 18.7g of 7s these days and if I do my job then that will fold crows no problem out to 35yrds. As pigeon controller pointed out crows tend to 'float', so don't hesitate, I normally almost shoot them instinctively and if I hesitate inevitably miss....BUT

doesn't that apply to most shotgun shooting?

Rule 1.   Put 'em in the middle of the pattern.

Rule 2.   Put 'em in the middle of the pattern

etc etc:good: