Car scrappage scheme

Lloyd90

My GF needs a new car and we’re having a look. Her current car is quite old and going to give up the ghost soon. It’s 2006 petrol Nissan micro. 

Just looking at options and whether there are any scrappage schemes running - considering whether that would be an option for a scrappage and get as much as she can for a new car - or whether to just look to buy one 2nd hand. 

Just bear in mind with VAT at 20%

A new car is very costly,  almost new is much cheaper. A 14 year old car is not really worth anything (a part ex is just a mind game discount). Even scrap prices are poor just now.  Scappage schemes are good if you are planning on spending quite a bit of money.

Three or Four grand buys a mint small  car with sensible milage at the moment. There are no unreliable or rusty cars anymore.

It really is a buyers market, just stay away from Dealers. 

PS Modern Micra's are Chinese built, 3 cylinder engines and no where near as good as the old UK ones.

Good Luck.

Ford are doing some incredibly good deals at the moment, no deposit and 0% finance, it works out cheaper than buying second hand if you take a long term view over say ten years. Scrappage schemes are only an enhanced trade in/discount. There is no official scrappage deal going on at the moment.

Don't appear to be too keen, tell them you really want  to talk to Kia before you make a commitment. That will get their back up, hover, blow hot and cold.  These guys have quotas to meet and their jobs are on the line. Make them sweat, and they will come back to you with a better deal.

It really is a buyers market at the moment I was offered £5 grand straight off the top for a Ford Kuga last week and I wasn't really that interested, I was just there to see what was on offer. 

Edited by Vince Green

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Ford are doing some incredibly good deals at the moment, no deposit and 0% finance, it works out cheaper than buying second hand if you take a long term view over say ten years. Scrappage schemes are only an enhanced trade in/discount. There is no official scrappage deal going on at the moment.

Don't appear to be too keen, tell them you really want  to talk to Kia before you make a commitment. That will get their back up, hover, blow hot and cold.  These guys have quotas to meet and their jobs are on the line. Make them sweat, and they will come back to you with a better deal.

It really is a buyers market at the moment I was offered £5 grand straight off the top for a Ford Kuga last week and I wasn't really that interested, I was just there to see what was on offer. 

Yes my last car worked out only a few hundred quid more to buy brand new than it cost to have one a few years old due to the cheap finance offered. 

Will have to take her for a look around. 

11 hours ago, mickyh said:

A new car is very costly,  almost new is much cheaper. A 14 year old car is not really worth anything (a part ex is just a mind game discount). Even scrap prices are poor just now.  Scappage schemes are good if you are planning on spending quite a bit of money.

Three or Four grand buys a mint small  car with sensible milage at the moment. There are no unreliable or rusty cars anymore.

PS Modern Micra's are Chinese built, 3 cylinder engines and no where near as good as the old UK ones.

Good Luck.

Thanks Micky, we did try and have a look around got approved used and see what we could find! 

I just bought a 2nd hand fabia estate and got a "good" trade in on a 10 YO octavia scout and a reasonable price on the new car, I was happy and so was the salesman. The new car was 3 year old (surprise) and was approx 1/2 the price of the PCP brand new one, so it was a Billy Bargain for me. I could have faffed about waiting for tyre kickers to come round and all that but this was a lot easier.

I had not been aware though of the new things they are pushing, GAP insurance @ 4 times the online price, £60 worth of auto glym polishes etc for £399 !!!!! and also a dashcam for £250 all of which got punted.

12 hours ago, mickyh said:

Good Luck.

What I have found most of the modern cars made today are not near as well built as they used to be prime example is the VW golf 

my "new" car is four years old and probably a third of the new cost maybe less, with extras i wouldn't have paid for.

the misses was looking at what she would get if looking and a basic golf around same age 4 years was dearer than mine, a lot depends on what badge is on the front.

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

All cars lose money and the more you spend the more money your'e going to lose. At least in my experience, that's just how it seems to work.

Best to take a long term view, my van is now ten years old  and has depreciated ten thousand pounds. That's only a grand a year, at the moment I can see no reason why it shouldn't last another ten years. That's virtually ten years free motoring to look forward to. OK its going to need some repairs probably but I can live with that.

Total agree don’t buy with your heart use your head, I lost a fortune over the years buying a newish car every few years but no more. Do your homework pick the right car & drive it into the ground. I was reading the other day a guy had a quote to px his 11 month old Range Rover to exactly the same brand new car £25k now that’s what you call depreciation, but if you can afford a new Range Rover you don’t worry about money.

Edited by blackbird

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

What I have found most of the modern cars made today are not near as well built as they used to be prime example is the VW golf 

That is certainly true of Mercedes. I can't see the present ones built in Eastern Europe being good for a half a million miles like the old Stuttgart built Mercedes.

23 hours ago, mickyh said:

Good Luck.

Actually main agents are probably offering the best deals at the present time. Buying privately has never been more risky with all the scammers running amok on ebay and autotrader at the moment.

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Best to take a long term view, my van is now ten years old  and has depreciated ten thousand pounds. That's only a grand a year, at the moment I can see no reason why it shouldn't last another ten years. That's virtually ten years free motoring to look forward to. OK its going to need some repairs probably but I can live with that.

Mine's also 10 years old and I've no intention of changing it either. Although to be honest the mad idea did cross my mind a while ago that now the missus and kids are  no longer here, I could sell the SUV and buy a Camaro or a Mustang - or even a Challenger come to that They're cheap enough second hand in Dubai - it's about a 10 hour drive away -  and I'll never have the chance to own that kind of car again. But then common sense kicked in ...

I got £3,500 scrappage on an old diesel (X Trail '03 plate, 140k worth £500) against a new Smart car. The car in question was a fairly silly over-spec'd showroom car which we would never have paid £16k for but with £1,500 from the dealer and the scrappage it was a good buy. More importantly wife loves all the goodies: heated leather seats, auto (+ paddle change!) voice activation, sat nav etc. Dealer 'allegedly' chucked in £1,000 of unnecessary insurances ie paint, tyres/alloys, GAP etc. 

8 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Mine's also 10 years old and I've no intention of changing it either. Although to be honest the mad idea did cross my mind a while ago that now the missus and kids are  no longer here, I could sell the SUV and buy a Camaro or a Mustang - or even a Challenger come to that They're cheap enough second hand in Dubai - it's about a 10 hour drive away -  and I'll never have the chance to own that kind of car again. But then common sense kicked in ...

Definitely the Challenger.

She ended up buying a second hand fiesta with 20k miles on the clock. 

They offered us finance options - after the specified time it added another 30% onto the price of the car. 

Luckily we have been saving and she’s been working hard so can afford to buy it out right. 

Glad not to be getting into debt :) 

• 1 month later...

My Range Rover has gone up in value - been offered £2k more than I paid for her - 14 years old but drives like new and the nicest car I have ever driven - bought an X Type Jag for £750 that now is worth well over a grand and a Ferrari replica that I bought for £4k about 4 years ago sold for the same money earlier this year - not all motors lose money, Oh, also sold my Ducati 996 for more than I paid for her.

have had new vehicles in the past depreciation is not worth it  older vehicles have less electrical problems that anybody can fix some really low mileage offers based on older vanity plate no body wants just bought the missus 52 plate Peugeot 206 1.4 petrol with 48k on the clock with service history tidy vehicle runs sweet £450.00 she did not want a newer car as carpark shopping centre damage from trolleys etc fed up trying to look after a decent motor  now a decent motor means on lease and not owned don't care will get a new one soon so  quality older vehicles are sought after and any mechanic can work on them without your guts being ripped out by main dealers that cant  fix the  numerous electrical problems though mechanically sound

Edited by Saltings

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:23, Lloyd90 said:

She ended up buying a second hand fiesta with 20k miles on the clock. 

They offered us finance options - after the specified time it added another 30% onto the price of the car. 

That's when the 0% finance deals on new cars can actually work out cheaper than buying secondhand

On 25/11/2018 at 08:45, bruno22rf said:

My Range Rover has gone up in value - been offered £2k more than I paid for her - 14 years old but drives like new and the nicest car I have ever driven - bought an X Type Jag for £750 that now is worth well over a grand and a Ferrari replica that I bought for £4k about 4 years ago sold for the same money earlier this year - not all motors lose money, Oh, also sold my Ducati 996 for more than I paid for her.

Can you then advise on what 4x4 shooting vehicle that’s handy to run and will hold value? Lol 

On 27/11/2018 at 08:34, Vince Green said:

That's when the 0% finance deals on new cars can actually work out cheaper than buying secondhand

Yes I remember going to Trade Centre Wales when looking for my first car, similar car a 5 years old Fiesta they wanted £6k if I recall, after the repayments it worked out over £12k ish. 

I was just starting out in my first ‘real job’ so didn’t have any savings but had an ok income. 

I went to VW in the end and bought a brand new VW polo as my first self bought car, think it was £11k so cheaper than a 5 year old second hander on finance.