Hunter Wellies

Aled

Hello All

Right then: 14 years ago I bought my wife a pair of Hunter Wellies as a Christmas present (her choice) they have been well used, but the heel is staring to wear away, and there is small leak. Still 14 years of regular use is good going. So I'm looking to buy her a new pair....and hear lies the problem. Rumour has it that the more recent Hunter Wellies do not last as well since the factory has moved to China. Does anybody out there know if there is any truth in this? Or is it...a Chinese Whisper...(OK a bad joke but...)

Thanks in Advance

Aled

Not sure where they are made now but quality has fallen dramatically ,my mrs has had a couple of pairs over the last few years and never again 

After a year or so the rubber perishes ,fades and cracks .total rubbish and not what you would expect from an expensive product

The Memsahib's Hunters last less than a season - cracked sole and rapid wear! (The dear lady does have a rather peculiar gait post elevenses as she likes to play bar person (being PC) with the sloe gin.

Has anyone hear the rumour that Kleenex are stopping calling their paper handkerchiefs "Man Sized" after a complaint? When will it end?

Always brought Hunter Wellies until the quality went down hill and had the problems mentioned above, for the last three years have been wearing The Braemar Wellington from Hoggs of Fife, they are my everyday boot, they look very similar to Hunters but much better quality and they seem to-be wearing well, prices from £40-£50 a pair...https://www.cherrytreecountryclothing.com/hoggs-of-fife-braemar-wellington-boot-review/

I share your pain. My 10 year old hunter balmoral's died last year, although I still wear them if it's just mud I'm dealing with. For my feet and ankles they were by far the best fitting and I did try all the wellies in the shop. Those were the first wellie I've owned that I could go miles off path on the open hill without hurting my feet or wishing I was in boots.

Great boot, but sadly it seems their likes will never be here again; as I've yet to find a comparable fit and feel replacement. 

I bought my Aigles about ten years ago. Since then, my parents went through five or six pairs of Hunters each, but the Aigles are still going strong. Having said that I bought my partner a pair and they lasted a year. But I'd never look at Hunters again. My parents are now Aigle converts and have loved them.

ive always bought hunter soveriegn...with studs as i did a bit of trout fishing as well and they didnt slip so much..........when the sole and studs got worn i used to send them off....first place was somewhere in Brum and then latterly in newcastle on tyne....for restuding.....they came back everytime with new sole and studs ........and various other repairs......always surprised how cheap it was less than £20 quid and that included posting

same thing with Barbour jackets....send them off for a torn side and pocket....they come back with a whole new panel and pocket...£15 quid and no postage ....and that aint that long ago either......................

LOL behave yourself all...talking about heels whilst discussing wellies ......really!!   

However it is difficult if you have strange feet/legs........I snapped my Achilles tendon back in 2001, (rugby surprise surprise) and I've struggled with footwear ever since!

Thanks for your comments.

Aled

On 18/10/2018 at 12:48, chrisp said:

Not sure where they are made now but quality has fallen dramatically ,my mrs has had a couple of pairs over the last few years and never again 

After a year or so the rubber perishes ,fades and cracks .total rubbish and not what you would expect from an expensive product

Take a guess where Gates shifted production to, when the Dumfries factory closed...

The quality is absoloute rubbish now.

On 18/10/2018 at 20:02, Mice! said:

I've bought a pair of solognac from Decathlon, look and feel pretty good but we will see.

Lasted me about a year before splitting along the side where they flex

My last pair of hunters lasted less than a year. Just bought a pair of Musto from John Norris, currently half price. Let’s see how they go but with the musto name I expect them to be good.