Muntjac died after getting caught in fence.

ian1337

trying to rub velvet i expect. a lot of bucks fall fatal to this. shot a buck about ten years ago with its head covered in fencing wire. the base of antlers were covered in maggots. my mate asked me if he could have the head and boiled it out with all wire still attached. made a interesting mount to show what happened

29 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

trying to rub velvet i expect. a lot of bucks fall fatal to this. shot a buck about ten years ago with its head covered in fencing wire. the base of antlers were covered in maggots. my mate asked me if he could have the head and boiled it out with all wire still attached. made a interesting mount to show what happened

Never thought about that.

I can't say how many I have found but it has to be dozens, roe, fallow but not red (no munties here). I shot a fallow buck with a load of bailer twine woven into his antlers, another found dead tangled in a fence by the antlers, lots of dead roe buck the same and quite a few bucks and does caught by the legs as above.

Smaller and palmated antlers are easier to rub on fence wire, but stags need good thick scrub due to their antler shape, so willow, gorse and over grown heather is the choice for stags where I stalk

Very common around my part of East Sussex , I get called out to despatch several a year .Mainly fallow , they jump the fence but the back leg goes between the top two strands and twists the foot between the two . Stock fence with two strands of barb wire is the worse , especially when the wire is pulled really tight , if they left the lower strand with a bit  of slack it would help enormously. On a couple of the estates I manage the deer I’ve put deer leaps in the well used crossing points which has all but cured the problem . 

8 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Seen a few roe that have died trapped in stock fencing, but its usually their back leg that get hung up. And usually caused by being chased by dogs. Shame tho

I watched a dog chase a group of deer , I was in a highseat , and flat out running the deer cleared the fence by several feet there timing was perfect , yet from the same seat I’ve witnessed two deer getting caught as the just hop over from a standing start while under no pressure . Both managed to free themselves before I intervened as the wire was old and had some slack in it . Just an observation.