Where have they all gone ?

Old Boggy

It was a little disappointing to note that my usual maize field had been devoid of pigeons practically all day and every day for almost a week. Well that was the apparent view from my house as I looked out during the previous days for my intended next session out which was to be yesterday. From experience, I had learnt that over the last few weeks, they had been feeding later and later in the day. I therefore planned to go out about 1pm. However, watching from the field gate yesterday, there was no activity whatsoever. 

There was nothing for it but to have a look round a couple of other local farms. It was hardly a 'Pigeon Controller' exercise of driving many miles to find some pigeons as all my shooting is within a ten mile radius of home. A newly drilled field of wheat had but one or two feeding and another large maize stubble undersown with wheat attracted nothing but a few corvids.

In my travels I had seen no more than half a dozen pigeons. Stourboy was due to accompany me but a phone call to him had to advise a non event.

Despondantly, I drove back home and sat again in the entrance to my usual maize field, now with the wheat covering most of the remaining maize cobs to have a final look and a cup of coffee. The time was now 2.15pm. I noted that there were now one or two pigeons on a flightline running adjacent to my usual hide position, so decided to give it a go for an hour or so before returning home even if to get a bit of fresh air and exercise and possibly the odd shot.

The wind had changed from the previous South Westerly and was now North Westerly which meant that any birds coming into the decoys would be left to right, my favoured shot being a leftie. With the rotary set to my right and my usual bunch of flocked shell decoys out it was not long before the first pigeons arrived. What I thought might just give me a few shots, turned into quite a busy two hours. With twenty already on the clicker after an hour and the likelihood of quite a few more, a phone call was necessary to ensure that any over and above those for home consumption would be taken OK. My usual and local small gamedealer had previously advised that he was overloaded with pigeons as were other larger dealers in the area so I had to ensure a ready market for any excesses. This was soon confirmed by a local farm shop who had taken pigeons from me in the past and were willing to take about twenty.

Shooting resumed accordingly.

However, I thought that the presence of a tractor coming into the field just behind me might bring a halt to the proceedings but they took no notice whatsoever. Even when the driver, who I know well, stopped at the back of my hide position to see how I was getting on. While we stood there chatting, they still came in, taking no notice whatsoever. He had come to roll the field after drilling and unfortunately didn't notice one that I'd dropped on his field, so that one got rolled in.

Anyway, the next hour produced similar activity and I ended the short session with 42 picked, two lost (hit hard and both dropped a quarter of a mile away) and one rolled !

So after what I thought was going to be a blank day, turned out a great little session. I had to apologise to my pal Stourboy for putting him off in the first instance and so missing out on a good few hours shooting and our usual banter. Perhaps next time.

OB 

Excellent report on what turned out a very good short session of top quality sport .

Your Maize stubble have been very productive and no doubt a godsend at this time of the year , I have all but given up hope in shooting any off the fields I had , today I had a look mid afternoon and all I saw was a few Rooks , a large covey of French Partridges and a few Pheasants , the wheat that was drilled is now above ground and it look like the next time pigeons give it a look will be next Summer :no:

3 hours ago, Wilksy II said:

Great report and result OB thanks for posting, not seeing big numbers around us but today I noticed small groups on the acorns. Beautiful weather at moment for pigeon shooting!

Having checked the crops of about half of the bag, half a dozen or so had acorns, a couple had newly sown wheat, only one funnily enough had maize and the remaining crops were empty. Perhaps the next reconnaissance should be looking at the oak trees. The empty crops probably explained their willingness to decoy later in the day and 'fill up' prior to going to roost.

OB

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

Excellent report on what turned out a very good short session of top quality sport .

Your Maize stubble have been very productive and no doubt a godsend at this time of the year , I have all but given up hope in shooting any off the fields I had , today I had a look mid afternoon and all I saw was a few Rooks , a large covey of French Partridges and a few Pheasants , the wheat that was drilled is now above ground and it look like the next time pigeons give it a look will be next Summer 

You're quite right MM, that's why I've made the most of that one field and have been surprised that it has continued to provide such excellent shooting, but think that it's coming to an end and agree that until the pigeons start on the rape, things will slow up regarding shooting. Just calculated that the one field and more especially the one permanent hide has provided a total bag between my weekend shooting pal,  Stourboy and myself in the week of over 350 pigeons over the last few weeks. It looks like it'll shortly be back to struggling to achieve double figures but for me and my short sessions, it's getting out that counts.

OB