Is it an offence for one dog to bite another dog

gemini52

Can we have the full script before being asked to comment further.

Has the man been convicted of any offence? The FEO can't say he has actually committed an offence, without him going through the legal process.

Was the dog with him, on a lead or had it escaped from his property?

On the basis of the initial post, I would take it with a pinch of salt.

43 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Can we have the full script before being asked to comment further.

Has the man been convicted of any offence? The FEO can't say he has actually committed an offence, without him going through the legal process.

Was the dog with him, on a lead or had it escaped from his property?

On the basis of the initial post, I would take it with a pinch of salt.

This is true,my brother is taking two of his shotguns,according to the feo its happend before the dog has bit other dogs in the past,the owner of the other dog is a serving police officer,apparantly he has taken time on the sick with stress,he has been given three weeks to sort out his guns or they are going for scrap,the dog was in the yard with the gate open,the guy was walking past with his dog,so i presume the incident happend on the pavement,as said any excuse to take guns off decent people.

6 minutes ago, gemini52 said:

This is true,my brother is taking two of his shotguns,according to the feo its happend before the dog has bit other dogs in the past,the owner of the other dog is a serving police officer,apparantly he has taken time on the sick with stress,he has been given three weeks to sort out his guns or they are going for scrap,the dog was in the yard with the gate open,the guy was walking past with his dog,so i presume the incident happend on the pavement,as said any excuse to take guns off decent people.

If (big if) I’ve followed this correctly, said dog has bitten other dogs before, and on this occasion was not secured in the property/garden, got out and bitten another dog? 

One of my neighbours got in trouble in very similar circumstances (albeit it was people his dog liked a taste of), ultimately got only a warning from the court but was charged with the offence. The big factor is my neighbour knew his dog was disposed to this sort of behaviour and was deemed to not have taken necessary steps to prevent it. On the first occasion despite police involvement there were no charges, apparently. 

This being the sole reason someone has guns taken from them, I would find very surprising to say the least. 

17 minutes ago, gemini52 said:

If it has happened before and the chap allowed it to happen again he's not learning is he?

And as I said, a Google away and you get this

It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be 'dangerously out of control'. A 'dangerously out of control' dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so

15 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

If you have a spare cartridge, why would you own a dog that bites?

Now, now, careful! Actually I used to have a dog that bit people. Border collie - well bred too, but a sly back-of-the-leg grabber if people came on the place. Didn't shoot him though - sold him back down into Wales where he'd originated. 

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Now, now, careful! Actually I used to have a dog that bit people. Border collie - well bred too, but a sly back-of-the-leg grabber if people came on the place. Didn't shoot him though - sold him back down into Wales where he'd originated. 

To bite a kid in Wales?

36 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Right lets get this straight:

He owns a dog that likes biting other dogs, it has done this on more than one occasion previously going by what you've posted?

So he leaves it in the garden with the gate open? I don't think i'd trust him with guns if he can't keep a dog under control!

+1

14 hours ago, guzzicat said:

To bite a kid in Wales?

No, to run in sheepdog trials down there. We're talking 30 years ago and I sold him for £1500. Anyway, he didn't bite randomly. He only bit if someone walked right in front of his kennel and he could sneak out and get behind them without them seeing him.Otherwise he was absolutely fine. If he'd been kept in a kennel with a fenced run, I likely wouldn't even have known about this foible he had. And I didn't sell him because he bit, I sold him because he wasn't versatile enough a dog for me to want to keep. Besides, the lad who bought him knew all about him and wasn't bothered.

Edited by Retsdon