Sign in to follow this  
foxnet22

Single malt

Having called into my local store for a bottle of my favourite tipple jura  I was informed that jura no longer produce it's superstition bottle.this was a lightly peated malt that I was becoming  rather fond of .any recommendations for a replacement lightly peated malt I could  try .

Whenever Highland Park is mentioned it reminds me of the following. .....

A mad Irish Doctor friend of mine, introduced me to Highland Park in the eighties when we were up stalking in the Borders.

Very nice !

We were staying in a B & B in Greenlaw and he drank more of the botttle than myself and the following morning he pulled the trigger on a good Roe Buck, with an empty chamber. 

CLICK !!! And the buck ran off never to be seen again !!

I was in a high seat a fair way from him and could still hear the cursing.

Edited by Robertt

I was in Lidl the other day and noticed their Ben Bracken range - they do an Islay, Highland and Speyside for around £17.50 each.  I looked them up and they get great reviews, anyone tried them? 

10 hours ago, simonm said:

I was in Lidl the other day and noticed their Ben Bracken range - they do an Islay, Highland and Speyside for around £17.50 each.  I looked them up and they get great reviews, anyone tried them? 

I think you should do some tasting on our behalf!:good::lol::good:

If you are after a lightly peated dram then I would suggest, in no particular order:

1. Benromach "Peat Smoke"

2. Balvenie "Peat Week" (Balvenie only produce a peated dram for one week each year, hence the name!)

3. Bowmore 15

4. Tomatin "CuBocan" (I've changed my mind, I am going to put this one at the top of the list, it really is quite delicious)

5. Core range Bruichladdich's

If you want to step it up a little then experiment with:

1. Ardbeg "Uigeadail" or "An Oa"

2. Any of the Laphroig "Quarter Casks"

And if you want to go as hardcore as it gets then I would say take a double dose of brave pills and try:

1. Any of the Bruichladdich "Octomore" releases, but in particular the "Octomore 8.3". As a caveat: Be warned, it has a stratospherically high Phenol Part per Million rating somewhere north of 300ppm. It is certainly an experience however!

I have tried the Ben bracken islay malt and it’s not bad. Perhaps not as pleasant as a bottle costing double but in a hip flask I’ve had people drink whyte and mackay neat and tell me it was very smooth. Talking of which claymore not bad neat without ice or a splash of water.

Highland Park is one of my favourite s along with Caress Gold Reserve for general sipping whisky. 

Never was a fan of the Jura Superstition.

The CO OP I found has a very nice  Highland12 year old malt with lots of dried fruit and nuts flavour, with a very good finish. Perfect for this time of year.

Go to your local whisky shop and see and taste some similar whiskies you might find a replacement for Superstition.

Edited by figgy