Can you swallow this Box Browning please

getthegat

I've been suffering for ages with bad indigestion, trouble eating certain foods and literally eating anything at times. I'm talking years not days here. So after a visit to the vets, sorry, doctors, I have been given an emergency referral to have a camera shoved down my throat. At the risk of freaking me out even more, has anyone had this done?

I'm hoping they put me out and wake me up when it's all over 🤔

Toldmy son and all he said was, "it could have been worst, could have gone up the other way" Aaaahhh!

Had it up my nose 9 months back. I suffer with sore throats and stomach acid. My throats burnt .

they shove it up your nose and then you cough and boom it’s down your throat.

it makes your eyes water and I almost chucked up lol but it’s seconds

its a funny feeling but then again mashing my fingers and having them rebuilt was worse ;) 

snapped my leg 5 years ago that bad I could see the sole of my boot. 

Are you on medication?

Edited by team tractor

Yep - several times - they don't usually put you out because you need the swallow reflex to assist (things may have changed - my last one was 10 years back) normally numb your throat a little - it's really no big thing and I have a fiver says that the first thing you think afterwards is " well - that was a load of worry over nowt" - "other" entry ;point is no worse really but the thought of 1.2 metres of instrument can be a little daunting:cry1:.

39 minutes ago, getthegat said:

I've been suffering for ages with bad indigestion, trouble eating certain foods and literally eating anything at times. I'm talking years not days here. So after a visit to the vets, sorry, doctors, I have been given an emergency referral to have a camera shoved down my throat. At the risk of freaking me out even more, has anyone had this done?

I'm hoping they put me out and wake me up when it's all over 🤔

Toldmy son and all he said was, "it could have been worst, could have gone up the other way" Aaaahhh!

I had similar symptoms.........debilitating acid, indigestion, really bad stomach pain, bloating and vomiting on occasions.....turned out to be gallstones! Put up with it for years. Quack was ******* useless, just repeatedly prescribed ******* gaviscon/antacids, which didn't touch it!......went to A&E in agony and they found the problem within minutes, with an ultrasound scan!

Good luck!

From the top downwards:

Bronchoscopy via the nasal passage and look into the lungs

Gastroscopy  via the mouth to look a little past the stomach

Cystoscopy via the genitalia to look into the bladder

sigmoidoscopy via the rectum to look in the lower bowel

Colonoscopy via the rectum to look further up into digestive system of the bowel

Each endoscope used for each procedure is slightly different in width and length

Lidocaine spray can be used to numb the back of the throat

If you choose to have no sedation you will be fully aware of the procedure.  Alternatively a Benzodiazapine injection will be offered to you if safe to do so, most commonly Midazolam a conscious amnesia sedation which can also help in decreasing anxiety is the drug of choice. If you have Midazolam you will advised not to drive, drink alcohol  or work for the next 24 hours after the procedure.

Wise words from TC 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Had both ends done, uncomfortable but if it sorts it out it is worth it.

atb

7diaw

4 hours ago, Longbower said:

Just hope they don't use a down , just after they have used it for an up. 

You'll never know, I don't think they ever do an up and a down at the same time, so you probably have a down following an up!:sick:

If they did do both ends at once wouldn't it be fun to watch the other camera coming through on the screen?:whistling:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax.

Had the gastro version. Told the doc' that I used to use the cameras when examining internal aircraft structures and always wondered what I looked like. So he positioned me and the screen so I could see it. Quick throat spray and the second swallow and we're off. Quite enjoyed it but you do have to concentrate a bit when they pump the air in to inflate your stomach so that they can see better. When they've finished you're reminded that they've pumped you full of air and one way or another it is cgoing to come out. Driving home my throat got a bit sore so stopped for a nice cool pint. Lunchtime and the pub quite full and I'm stood at the bar when without any by your leave there was a sudden major upheaval. Talk about embarressed!

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Had the gastro version. Told the doc' that I used to use the cameras when examining internal aircraft structures and always wondered what I looked like. So he positioned me and the screen so I could see it. Quick throat spray and the second swallow and we're off. Quite enjoyed it but you do have to concentrate a bit when they pump the air in to inflate your stomach so that they can see better. When they've finished you're reminded that they've pumped you full of air and one way or another it is cgoing to come out. Driving home my throat got a bit sore so stopped for a nice cool pint. Lunchtime and the pub quite full and I'm stood at the bar when without any by your leave there was a sudden major upheaval. Talk about embarressed!

as above had the spray not uncomfortable stomach biopsies  the camera is smaller than your little finger air and belching is embarrassing   did not want to wait around as self employed had a job to finish      my issue before camera  were soar stomach   bloated   feeling **** all the time bad guts   most if not every day exhausted all the time turned out to be gluten intolerant 

Edited by Saltings

Not laughed so much for ages and felt queezie and scared all at the same time. The laughter was the best. Great replies 😂

I'm ok with other peoples injuries and can deal with blood ok, was at two of my son's birthday, but when it's me.......I nearly faint having a blood test.

Edited by getthegat
Separate sentences

On 19/10/2018 at 21:19, TIGHTCHOKE said:

+1 I asked the doctor to be sure he got the order right! Relieved to discover it was two different cameras.

Bottom end one, doctor was a very petite lady, with very small hands,saw camera, looked about the size of a filter tip, thinks "this will be o/k" but I think she changed the small camera for a tilley lamp or summat!

i have had it done both ends no problem  just a nasty taste i was told to gargle i swallowd the first two mouths  full because a lot of strangers watching me   i was laughing   but when it was happening iwatched and got some photos  what they printed off for me and as for the other end the man who was working the camera was really clever he had both hands on my shoulders i hope all goes well for you cheers len

On 19 October 2018 at 21:19, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I had the same , too much coffee and no food??? Told me I had some abnormal cells in my system but don't worry biopsy cleared, one tablet in the morning clears indigestion . As they were doing both they knocked me out and I came round during the lower half camera it was a bit weird watching my insides but not painful. Had to be collected as they would not let me drive after. No after effects at all.

just remembered I had one up the front pipe some years ago which they knock me out for. The funny thing I remember was three blokes all on trolleys in a line outside of theatre with green cloths over us with a slit with the Crown Jewels out. We had the premed and could not stop giggling!!!!!

Edited by pigeon controller