Its Never Easy

pigeon controller

28 minutes ago, motty said:

Was there something wrong with my reply?

Yes.

The original post was from Pigeon Controller which was informative, well written, descriptive and a really good read as his posts normally are and for people on this forum who are just starting out, the sort of thing that helps them. It gives them an understanding that you have to put the hours in, use your fieldcraft and experience sometimes with little to show for it but in this case, he got the reward. 

He gets some fine bags and always shares his experience and knowledge to help others which is what I think this forum is for. 

9 minutes ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Yes.

The original post was from Pigeon Controller which was informative, well written, descriptive and a really good read as his posts normally are and for people on this forum who are just starting out, the sort of thing that helps them. It gives them an understanding that you have to put the hours in, use your fieldcraft and experience sometimes with little to show for it but in this case, he got the reward. 

He gets some fine bags and always shares his experience and knowledge to help others which is what I think this forum is for. 

I agree with what you have said here, but I can't see anything wrong with my reply. I think PC himself will agree that it IS sometimes easy.

There are times throughout the year when you can work hard for little/no reward, and other times when you put in no effort and end up with a big bag.

Yes I agree but when you say you put in no effort, what I think you are saying is no extra effort as the experience of fieldcraft etc is already there through many outings and probably a good few years. To get to that point you need to have worked at it. Novices might not see that.

Think we are on the same page, but coming at it from slightly different angles.

59 minutes ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Yes I agree but when you say you put in no effort, what I think you are saying is no extra effort as the experience of fieldcraft etc is already there through many outings and probably a good few years. To get to that point you need to have worked at it. Novices might not see that.

Think we are on the same page, but coming at it from slightly different angles.

Yeah, probably. I think novices can also get good results with just getting out there on a field with some decoys. It doesn't have to take too much thought /experience/effort to get pigeons to decoy.

9 hours ago, motty said:

I agree with what you have said here, but I can't see anything wrong with my reply. I think PC himself will agree that it IS sometimes easy.

There are times throughout the year when you can work hard for little/no reward, and other times when you put in no effort and end up with a big bag.

But you do not get the 'easy' days sitting at home - you have to be out and about and watching so in a way you have worked hard for your 'easy' days.

Thank you for the kind words about my weekly posts. I do try to be informative and agree with Motty and Hammeron hammeroff when they say " easy days " with expirence some days are easy. 

Over the years I had regularly said " never set up and sit back" keep changing the pattern try different things and remember what works for future reference. 

On example that comes to mind was a large field with birds flighting over it and some decoying and 50% flying over high. We tried lots of changes and nothing changed. So we put the Magnet and four decoys way out three hundred yards out in the middle of the field this had the effect of attracting the birds to loose height and then spook on to our larger pattern. This resulted in a hundred plus bag.

Anybody scanning the field would have thought " blooming amateurs" fancy putting the magnet out there. 

Edited by pigeon controller

3 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Thank you for the kind words about my weekly posts. I do try to be informative and agree with Motty and Hammeron hammeroff when they say " easy days " with expirence some days are easy. 

Over the years I had regularly said " never set up and sit back" keep changing the pattern try different things and remember what works for future reference. 

On example that comes to mind was a large field with birds flighting over it and some decoying and 50% flying over high. We tried lots of changes and nothing changed. So we put the Magnet and four decoys way out three hundred yards out in the middle of the field this had the effect of attracting the birds to loose height and then spook on to out larger pattern. This resulted in a hundred plus bag.

Anybody scanning the field would have thought " blooming amateurs" fancy putting the magnet out there. 

As I have often said , we will never know everything about pigeon shooting , we might learn a fair bit over the years but we still don't know the full reason why they decoy well one day and the next day you can do the exactly the same thing and they totally ignore the set up , this is when experience kicks in and you start moving the decoys in or out and try different set ups like the one above rather than sit it out hopping things will improve , which they normally don't .

A lot of people will never get a 100+ bag , this might be down to a non productive pigeon area and not down to the skill it takes ( at times ) to get a big bag , at the end of the day , if you come off the field knowing you have had the maximum amount of shooting , then you should be well pleased with yourself , if you felt you should have had more , than its back to the drawing board .

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

On example that comes to mind was a large field with birds flighting over it and some decoying and 50% flying over high. We tried lots of changes and nothing changed. So we put the Magnet and four decoys way out three hundred yards out in the middle of the field this had the effect of attracting the birds to loose height and then spook on to our larger pattern. This resulted in a hundred plus bag.

This is what I call “hedge shy” it seems to-be at certain times of the year on stubble or rape, more so on stubble, not sure why, but like most pigeon shooters I have my own theory.  

Well done on the bag, that’s not bad for this time of year, 3 hours shooting, 64 birds picked, that’s roughly a shot every 3 minutes, think most people would be happy with that, well done.

38 minutes ago, old'un said:

This is what I call “hedge shy” it seems to-be at certain times of the year on stubble or rape, more so on stubble, not sure why, but like most pigeon shooters I have my own theory.  

Well done on the bag, that’s not bad for this time of year, 3 hours shooting, 64 birds picked, that’s roughly a shot every 3 minutes, think most people would be happy with that, well done.

A shot every 3 minutes and no passes.....

It also feels much easier on the days you hit 2 out 3 as opposed to 1 out of 5.

Just starting to see a few birds on rape around here. 

Always great to read P.C.’s and Motty’s reports.

8 minutes ago, Charlie1965 said:

A shot every 3 minutes and no passes.....

It also feels much easier on the days you hit 2 out 3 as opposed to 1 out of 5.

Just starting to see a few birds on rape around here. 

Always great to read P.C.’s and Motty’s reports.

Yep, good point but I am assuming he did not miss any....well not many. :whistling: