Credit card or not

peck

My self and the wife are going to Spain next Wednesday and we are going to rent a car, all the companies that i have tried are asking for a credit card be put on the system so that if we have a bump they can take out of the credit card up to 1000 euros, now if i purchase the website insurance do i still have to use the credit card or can i use my debit card. i have been looking for hours and its driving me nuts going around it circles.

Does anyone use their debit card to pay for car hire or does it have to be a credit card?  HEEEEEElP 

Edited by peck

Easier if it's a credit card from my experience. Get Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select card. Best ones for Europe. But also make sure you buy your hire car excess insurance from a 3rd party not the hire company. Much better value. 

Just realised it's Wednesday you are going. That's going to be tight!

Edited by lukepulford

I would say both really, not just for car hire. I arrived in Slovenia one year and suddenly realised the money I should have with me was sitting back home in the safe.  Rang my bank and in short order they said go to any bank and use your debit card and you will be covered for that amount..four figures multiplied!!...to pay for a weeks hunting.  I was back at the parked car so fast my wife thought it had been refused.  Saved the day.   Now credit cards are essential for car hire in most countries, particularly the USA. It is a good idea, if you have time to shop around for insurance. I never have because the firm I use gives pretty good rates anyway and the one time I did have a bump, instant new/replacement car and no problems.

Money saving expert (Martin?) did a big article on this on the radio the other week. Saying that insurance and particularly extra insurance (collision damage waiver) was a big rip off. I think suggesting you take insurance before you go and stick to the line you have insurance.

try this  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

any fraudulent expenditure you can claim back on a credit card but not so easy on a debit card also foreign currency can work out cheaper   you are also covered on purchases if something goes wrong  when you get there     make a point of a walkaround video of car rental for future reference make sure rep sees you as well saves problems going forward 

Edited by Saltings

We had this trouble in the summer. Wife booked the car in my name when she was booking the flights because I was going to be the driver, reading through and you needed a credit card in the name of the driver...big problem is I haven’t got one! We had to cancel the booking, rebook night her name and had to pay an extra £13.50 for me as a second driver. Still very cheap to hire though. 

We took out 3rd party insurance before we went. The poor bloke behind the counter was giving out the same spiel to everyone about how they might not be properly covered by the 3rd party and should take out their companies extra insurance. And nobody took it out.