Jump

Ultrastu

3 hours ago, motty said:

I wouldn't have a collar on a working dog. Swimming can pose potential problems for a dog wearing a collar.

Good pictures, though.

Cracking picture. 

Never had a collar on mine till i lost it. Maybe when I trust it a bit more the collar can go. 

34 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

My dog lives in his collar .never really comes off .except for a bath .

Whats the potential issue ? 

Keen to learn 

IMG_20181023_175251.jpg

IMG_20181023_175503.jpg

Underwater branches can catch in a dog's collar and it could potentially drown. Unlikely, but could happen.

Think of the number of snags at dog height, It is too easy for a dog to get caught up in thick cover or jumping a wire fence and getting snagged and choking, the collar could snag on a submerged branch when retrieving from water, and if the dog is out of sight it could have fatal consequences.

Of course if this happens when the dog is in sight and a few yards away you can walk or swim to help him/her, it might never happen but there is the potential it could, why take the risk? Get yourself a rope slip lead when working the dog, you can always put the collar on when he/she is at home if you are afraid it might get out and lost, is the dog chipped?

Another thing is, ask yourself why you don’t see many, if any, working dogs with collars on?

Edited by old'un

To be fair .ive never really considered it .no i dont worry about him running off and i walk him amost every where without a lead. Yes he is chipped .

The collar is there just incase i do need to physically controll him .but its VERY rare .

I guess its just habit since he was a pup .he has no problems wearing it .

Thanks for the infomation i will think on it .especially working in heavy cover / water. 

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:13, Ultrastu said:

Another one in flight 

20181021_001303.jpg

Love that pic stu, the reflection on the water really makes it great.

The collar issue will always raise different opinions, I've never heard of a dog being injured because of its collar, obviously its a risk but then so is a dog running into any cover.

Great pictures and a lovely dog be careful with tennis balls tho my lab  punctured one without me seeing it and swallowed it  nearly killing her last Christmas cost me just over five grand in vet bills not that I am complaining they saved her life and she is my world but you get my meaning  I still use a ball but hard ones with a long rope on it