New auto

AdamW

So, I’m in the market for a new auto to replace the hatsan, going to be used as an all rounder, clays, pigeons and wild foul.

options are:

Beretta A400

Franchi

Benelli

Whinchester

Browning

others?

whats good, what’s not....

Edited by AdamW

Ive got an al390. Its been fautless for the last 6 year's or so  in operation. Even with light carts. I know a chap that has an ultra light 400 or something and that too is faultless in operation and accounted for hundreds of birds (if not thousands).

2 friends have hatsans. The old gen 1 is ok if lightly oiled and clean, it's been through the mill over the years but with 28g 70mm carts functions fine.  The newer model has worked without issue every time I've been out with him. There's plenty to choose from these days so you will be spoiled for choice.

New i think i would buy a Remington versamax not many about but seen a few and i like them.

But on the more comon new guns i think i would buy a Browning or winchester gold / maxus or sx4 or new old stock 3 if i could find one. They similar layout and work very well and a good buy as an all rounder /fowling semi auto.

A third one worth a look if your not logo compromised or a fashion victim is the Baikal MP153 (if you can find one) These guns work well and Russian or not they last well too.

7 hours ago, AdamW said:

So, I’m in the market for a new auto to replace the hatsan, going to be used as an all rounder, clays, pigeons and wild foul.

options are:

Beretta A400

Franchi

Benelli

Whinchester

Browning

others?

whats good, what’s not....

I have owned nearly every semi auto and my recommendation is still to do as you would with an over and under is to shoulder them all and see what suits. Even with adjustable shims it’s never guaranteed that the gun will fully fit you and you may find the weight and balance of one suits you better. 

I really liked my Benelli Vinci but due to a shoulder injury and the fact benelli are light inertia guns I now shoot an A400 Extreme, wished I could go back to the Vinci! 

You don’t say what your budget is or if your recoil sensitive. 

As an all rounder the A400 or the Maxus would be my choice for a true all rounder with wildfowling as part of the mix having 31/2” chamber. 

If you don’t want to shoot 31/2” carts the Benellis are a fabolulous gun and a lot better finished than most including the Maxus. The Franchi are made by Benelli but not the same gun.  

My choice would be made up by what I would shoot most of. If clays a Benelli SuperSport hands down Better than others can also do double duty for pigeons and fowling with 3”. 

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

You don’t say what your budget is or if your recoil sensitive. 

As an all rounder the A400 or the Maxus would be my choice for a true all rounder with wildfowling as part of the mix having 31/2” chamber. 

If you don’t want to shoot 31/2” carts the Benellis are a fabolulous gun and a lot better finished than most including the Maxus. The Franchi are made by Benelli but not the same gun.  

My choice would be made up by what I would shoot most of. If clays a Benelli SuperSport hands down Better than others can also do double duty for pigeons and fowling with 3”. 

Budget would be around 2k max, recoil is no issue.

main uses will be pigeon and wild foul, with occasional clay shooting.

I’d go try three the Franchi infinity but it my struggle with clay loads but should be good and reliable for everything else. The A400 great gun with good recoil damping but won’t do anything the Maxus won’t as far as shooting, the Maxus is a chunk cheaper. I’ve shot lots of autos and had a few myself. I now use a Maxus as my fowling gun for less recoil and the fact it don’t cost too much so I’m not bothered about mud or rain etc or crawling around with it and it getting scratched or a mark. The max 4 camo M2 I didn’t want to mark it. 

5 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Franchi Affinity for me , 7 year warranty and made by Benelli . Good quality and half the price of the Beretta

Ive not shot one but did have a hold last time I was in my local, unbelievably light and pointable. 

Would have it in a heartbeat if I had the cabinet space lol. 

33 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Franchi Affinity for me , 7 year warranty and made by Benelli . Good quality and half the price of the Beretta

+1

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

I’d go try three the Franchi infinity but it my struggle with clay loads but should be good and reliable for everything else. The A400 great gun with good recoil damping but won’t do anything the Maxus won’t as far as shooting, the Maxus is a chunk cheaper. I’ve shot lots of autos and had a few myself. I now use a Maxus as my fowling gun for less recoil and the fact it don’t cost too much so I’m not bothered about mud or rain etc or crawling around with it and it getting scratched or a mark. The max 4 camo M2 I didn’t want to mark it. 

I have put 24g through my Affinity, no problems