SQUIRREL KILLS

Walker570

We are attempting to hit 2000 by end of year, will members please enter every tree rat you kill between now and then to see if we can achieve this. Many thanks, keep whacking and stacking 'em anyway.

Extra effort up on the Borders as well to help the reds as much as possible.

Edited by Walker570

I have several large trees (sycamore, beech, crab apple, holm oak, holly) in the garden - and consequently at least four resident squirrels.  They used to raid the bird table - and consequently a PCP air rifle was used from an upstairs window to 100% safely and humanely remove them. 

More recently the squirrels that have taken their place keep well away from the bird table (though do come right up to the house), so I am at present 'tolerating' them.  We are in an area where there are no reds (and sadly no prospect of reds returning in the foreseeable future.)  Shots near the house (i.e. around the bird table) can be taken safely, easily and only my immediate neighbours (also shooting folk) would be aware.  Further afield in the garden is rather more public (and gets a bit far for the air rifle), so less suitable.

At present there are masses of acorns, beech nuts and sycamore seeds so they are busy with them.  It remains to be seen if they will be back at the bird table when food is less abundant, or whether they have learned their lesson.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

What about the songbirds? Come spring "your" resident squirrels will happily munch on any eggs they find.

This is true, but the songbirds have a much greater risk from other garden visitors, especially felines, but also foxes.  I'm surprised that pigeons always rear young in the same Holm oaks in which the squirrels live.  I'm never quite sure what does go on there as the foliage is so thick it is difficult to see, and they are huge trees.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 2 months later...