Pellet Scales.

Popgun 47

13 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i think rewulf means tenth of a grain,,yes ebay coin/jewelry scales very accurate have checked on my beam scales just to make sure there right.they measure gram/grain/carat/etc.

No, 1/10 of a gram, 1 grain is .0647 of a gram

So a 10 th of a grain would be .0064 of a gram

You wont get those sort of scales for cheap money.
But will easily do the job on pellets.

Any one of the scales with a resolution of 0.001g will do. Mine was £15 off of evilbay. Use them on a flat level solud surface and place pellet csrefully on same spot each time to ensure consistency.

Note that these often only go up to 50 or 100g and exceeding this can break them, so don't exceed the weight limits.

Edited by Stonepark

Some confusion here with decimal points surely. 

If Rewulf’s scales are only accurate to a tenth of a gram, then they couldn’t distinguish between an 8.5 grain pellet and a 10.0 grain pellet. Not much use is it.

More likely it’s a hundredth of a gram, that is 0.01 gram or 0.15 grain.

Pellet weights are usually quoted to the nearest one hundredth, 0.01, of a grain.

If you want to sort individual pellets for weight you need to be looking for scales with an accuracy of at least one thousandth of a gram, 0.001 gram, or 0.015 grain.

Sorry Rewulf, but the scales you are recommending are only accurate to one hundredth of a gram. If pellet manufacturers quote weights to one hundredth of a grain then that is the degree of accuracy you need. To weigh to one hundredth of a grain you need scales capable of 0.65 milligrams. 

So an accuracy of one milligram or one thousandth of a gram, 0.001 gram,  is not really quite enough but probably the OP’s most viable option. 

21 minutes ago, wobbly bob 2 said:

Sorry Rewulf, but the scales you are recommending are only accurate to one hundredth of a gram. If pellet manufacturers quote weights to one hundredth of a grain then that is the degree of accuracy you need. To weigh to one hundredth of a grain you need scales capable of 0.65 milligrams. 

So an accuracy of one milligram or one thousandth of a gram, 0.001 gram,  is not really quite enough but probably the OP’s most viable option. 

You do realise the cost of scales that can accurately measure 1/1000 th of a gram.

A bit too much for a man who just wants to check pellet consistency.

18 hours ago, wobbly bob 2 said:

Some confusion here with decimal points surely. 

If Rewulf’s scales are only accurate to a tenth of a gram, then they couldn’t distinguish between an 8.5 grain pellet and a 10.0 grain pellet. Not much use is it.

More likely it’s a hundredth of a gram, that is 0.01 gram or 0.15 grain.

Pellet weights are usually quoted to the nearest one hundredth, 0.01, of a grain.

If you want to sort individual pellets for weight you need to be looking for scales with an accuracy of at least one thousandth of a gram, 0.001 gram, or 0.015 grain.

What's the odds that x are weighed and the weight divided by x to get an average?

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You do realise the cost of scales that can accurately measure 1/1000 th of a gram.

A bit too much for a man who just wants to check pellet consistency.

Many on the Bay at around £10 to £12.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Digital-Milligram-Scale-50g-0-001g-Electronic-Gram-Grain-Jewelry-UK/302714164488?hash=item467b2b9508:g:D9kAAOSwMm1a3VAr:rk:1:pf:0

I have 3 scales for my pellets, the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 which for the money about 40 odd quid isn't too bad for accuracy, but my main scale is the Kern TAB 20-3 which is better not too expensive at about £80 to over a £100.  I also bought.. which was the 3rd scale a cheap copy of the Frankie from ebay for £12 and it is garbage and no longer in one piece the readings were all over the place ...do not buy very cheap they are cheap for a reason.  I use F1 and M1 calibration weights to ensure accuracy.  

Cheers

MM