Killing cone

Walker570

Ben the Jockey asked for a cone for the processing of poultry. He gave me some measurements and I came up with this.  Not yet complete, needs a rubber trim round the top and a coat of paint but should do the job.   I was flying blind really because apart from measurements had never seen one in the flesh.  Apologies for picture, a quicky with the phone.002.jpg.d615ddd1151dffe72a1bc8969bd61ce6.jpg

That looks about right. The ones we used had to 1inch bars hinged off a leg passing the centre of the cone. This was for stretching and breaking the neck. Then we bled them. Used mainly for geese. 

Now we use a pneumatic killer with a hard rubber ball on it to knock them senseless then they are bled.

Good work.

jeeeesus you bunch of limp wristed whatsits................legs in a slip knot to the beam....fan belt over the neck and step in it........flap flap bloody flap....all the blood drains into the neck pouch....clean kill no mess................

christ you will be strapping them into an electric chair....with a vicar standing next to them , in due coarse ....or gassing them.........

• 2 years later...
On 22/10/2018 at 22:30, ditchman said:

jeeeesus you bunch of limp wristed whatsits................legs in a slip knot to the beam....fan belt over the neck and step in it........flap flap bloody flap....all the blood drains into the neck pouch....clean kill no mess................

christ you will be strapping them into an electric chair....with a vicar standing next to them , in due coarse ....or gassing them.........

Brilliant comment, loved it.

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i aim to please...:good:

Very good Ditchman ,brought back memory's plucking turkeys and geese for Christmas ,the geese and big turkeys where done with fan belt . But that picture of walkers tube he was making looks good ,but I used to use a roadside orange done with top cut of to stop chickens flap and mark wings when they flapped . Happy plucking tagether    

11 minutes ago, Morkin said:

Very good Ditchman ,brought back memory's plucking turkeys and geese for Christmas ,the geese and big turkeys where done with fan belt . But that picture of walkers tube he was making looks good ,but I used to use a roadside orange done with top cut of to stop chickens flap and mark wings when they flapped . Happy plucking tagether    

where did you pluck turkeys..................i used to get extra money doing them at Lawrence Mack's turkey farm at Pott Row near Kings Lynn

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really had the knack of necking. Either just hurting them or ripping the head off.

At 20p a shell, I take them to the top field, give them a last meal, let them enjoy the view and blow their head off. After raising them for a few months, I like to think that they know nothing of their death. Not manhandled upside down into a cone, or a stick across their neck under my feet and so on. This way I know it’s instant, and if I was being farmed it’s the way I’d want to go.

but then I only do 2-6 at a time...

Edited by southeastpete