Return of the tunny - how?

DrBlox

Was out fishing in a charter boat off Looe a few weeks ago and the skipper said that one or two of the boats had landed tuna off there this Summer.

They've got to be there for something .. there must be grub for them even if they're only concentrating on mackerel ?

I actually saw something big breach the surface a mile or so off our bow. Too far to be certain, but it didn't look like a dolphin/porpoise so I suppose that could have been a tuna ? This is what sparked the conversation about tuna on board.

Edited by Longstrider

On 23/10/2018 at 08:53, ditchman said:

they are starting to catch tuna south of lowestoft....dont know what type tho.......that was reported a couple of years ago......

When I was up in Scotland stalking last year, the guide who I know well showed me a photie of a yellow fin which had been caught off a boat locally in the Galloway area. It looked like a fair fish.

nom, nom, nom, I love tuna!

11 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

When I was up in Scotland stalking last year, the guide who I know well showed me a photie of a yellow fin which had been caught off a boat locally in the Galloway area. It looked like a fair fish.

nom, nom, nom, I love tuna!

thats on my bucket list..........i have never had fresh tuna fried steak...................

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

thats on my bucket list..........i have never had fresh tuna fried steak...................

Its really nice, just keep it pink in the middle! I`m hoping to get back down to Cornwall soon and hopefully while I`m trolling for bass from my kayak I might come across a tiddler in the 20-30lb range :P

20 minutes ago, henry d said:

Its really nice, just keep it pink in the middle! I`m hoping to get back down to Cornwall soon and hopefully while I`m trolling for bass from my kayak I might come across a tiddler in the 20-30lb range :P

they used to catch them off grimsby 800lb plus.........think Hemingway used to fish for them there....and even Hardy made a Grimsby Tuna reel so im told...

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

they used to catch them off grimsby 800lb plus.........think Hemingway used to fish for them there....and even Hardy made a Grimsby Tuna reel so im told...

Absolutely, I remember seeing one stuffed in the Hancock museum in Newcastle with the rod and reel used to land it, to a lad under 10 it was collosal and an inspiration when I got my first rod and reel

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bloody nora..............thats some fish.................

If you have Sky TV, watch 'Wicked Tuna' for a comparison. Catching Blue Fins off the US Eastern seaboard.

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/tunny-action

John Wayne.

image.jpeg.8ae741278ad00d83e12eaed5f4764ccb.jpeg

http://www.foaleandsons.com/The-Tunny-Club.html

Edited by Penelope

23 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Very interesting. Seems the tuna are making a come back, while the king of fish, the salmon is declining rapidly in the U.K.

no wonder with seal population on our coastlines.washed up dead salmon and sea  trout with bites out of back of kneck

On 23/10/2018 at 08:53, ditchman said:

they are starting to catch tuna south of lowestoft....dont know what type tho.......that was reported a couple of years ago......

No, that was Tunisians ...😀

22 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Bet they would be fantastic on the fly rod with a lure!

atb

7diaw

I’ve caught yellow fins off the rock break waters in canaries on spinning rod, to simulate this just hook up (quick) motorbike ..

On 31/10/2018 at 09:37, henry d said:

Its really nice, just keep it pink in the middle! I`m hoping to get back down to Cornwall soon and hopefully while I`m trolling for bass from my kayak I might come across a tiddler in the 20-30lb range

Haven't been for a while so haven't been checking. Are we still obliged to put them back - not just the undersized?