Smart ear defence

AdamSouthEast

I bought some genuine Howard Leight Impact Sport's. They worked fine for a while, then stopped working. I took them apart and found some poor dry soldering and a broken wire joint. I re-soldered the wire and dry joints. It worked fine again for around 6 months, then stopped again. I've only ever heard good reports about them, hence buying them. Perhaps i had the old Friday after set....

You have to watch out for the howard leight impact sport as there are a lot of fakes out there in Green. I had a pair (bought from amazon) and they went the same way and replaced them with a black set which apparently aren't copied as much. I checked these once they arrived and are they are genuine.

Edited by Northerner

22 hours ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Thanks for the advice guys, bought a pair of Honeywells as they seem the best value. If I don't rate them, I'll send them back and try out another suggestion.

Cheers

Having just discovered that my existing pair are duff, I've jumped on board and done the same. Thanks for the thread.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

Having just discovered that my existing pair are duff, I've jumped on board and done the same. Thanks for the thread.

Mine turned up today, only tried them around the house but seem A+. At full volume you can hear someone rubbing their hands together, very menacing.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:33, chilly1981 said:

Peltor comtac or msa soridin 

work really well internals are coated in resin so ok on rainy days 

there cut away at bottom so don’t interfere with gun stock like I found the Howard Lieghts to do. 

Exactly. The Howard Leights are a bit too bulky. Deben/Sordin do not tend to hit the stock as much.

17 hours ago, Northerner said:

You have to watch out for the howard leight impact sport as there are a lot of fakes out there in Green. I had a pair (bought from amazon) and they went the same way and replaced them with a black set which apparently aren't copied as much. I checked these once they arrived and are they are genuine.

How do you check they're genuine?

15 hours ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Mine turned up today, only tried them around the house but seem A+. At full volume you can hear someone rubbing their hands together, very menacing.

Damn. I don't entirely agree with Motty, but he's right. Not so much bulky as they extend too far down below the ear. Everytime I mount the gun I get a 'bonk' and if they're switched on it's a very loud bonk. Could drive you...............on a long day. Going back I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Damn. I don't entirely agree with Motty, but he's right. Not so much bulky as they extend too far down below the ear. Everytime I mount the gun I get a 'bonk' and if they're switched on it's a very loud bonk. Could drive you...............on a long day. Going back I'm afraid.

Ahh this is something I should try, didn't get a gun out to test them. Will test this tonight 😞

14 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Ahh this is something I should try, didn't get a gun out to test them. Will test this tonight 😞

I'm already quite deaf - sufficient to get a healthy MoD war pension -  so have decided to bite the bullet and have returned the Leights and have ordered some MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X Premium Edition. I can't wear the 'in ear' types and am even having trouble with my hearing aids at the moment so I figured better safe than sorry and as the pension is to cater for this sort of thing I might as well spend it - at least it'll save everyone having to repeat things several times.