Seriously?

Scully

A couple from down south are staying in the holiday cottage my OH’s parents own, and have asked if it’s safe to drink the water from the taps without boiling it! It has all mod cons like central heating, a fridge, freezer, cooker etc etc including WiFi. 😳 I know we’re in the sticks, but...really? 

They then asked if there were any ‘good’ supermarkets locally, and thinking they meant high end, Oh’ s mother told them the closest thing to a Waitrose we have is Booths, but that there is also a M&S, and Sainsbury’s. They were looking for an Asda. 

On a local estate in my mates house they found ecoli ( guessed spelling ) 

its been coming out of the well for 400 years but he’s had to have a proper water cleaner fitted. £1200 I think he said

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

you would be surprised how many times you see people down here with supermarket trolleys piled high with bottled water.

the water is better up there than it is down here. 

Peckham springs ;) 

i can't drink tap water full stop only bottled on average 20 750mil a week, wen I'm down south fitting coffee machines i allways tell them it's £250 to fit a water filter if they refuse the machine doesn't get fitted only takes 4/5 months before scale stops the brew heads from running, and wen your four hours away it ain't happening

Somebody (George Bernard Shaw I think, but could be A N Other like Noel Coward) when offered a glass of water once (allegedly) said "No thank you. Fish **c* in that". 

Obviously dangerous stuff?

Edited by Eyefor

5 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Somebody (George Bernard Shaw I think, but could be A N Other like Noel Coward) when offered a glass of water once (allegedly) said "No thank you. Fish **c* in that". 

Obviously dangerous stuff?

It was that great tippler WC Fields who refused a glass of water with the comment that "Fish fornicate in it"

19 minutes ago, amateur said:

It was that great tippler WC Fields who refused a glass of water with the comment that "Fish fornicate in it"

he was also if he liked children...........

he replied "yes i do ................boiled"......................

13 hours ago, Scully said:

A couple from down south are staying in the holiday cottage my OH’s parents own, and have asked if it’s safe to drink the water from the taps without boiling it! It has all mod cons like central heating, a fridge, freezer, cooker etcetc including WiFi. 😳 I know we’re in the sticks, but...really? 

They then asked if there were any ‘good’ supermarkets locally, and thinking they meant high end, Oh’ s mother told them the closest thing to a Waitrose we have is Booths, but that there is also a M&S, and Sainsbury’s. They were looking for an Asda. 

I can well believe it.

A chap who works for us, he lives in town, brings his own tap water to work as he doesn't trust our spring water. I've told him hundreds of times, It's never made our sheep ill, so I can't imagine it will harm him.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

I can well believe it.

A chap who works for us, he lives in town, brings his own tap water to work as he doesn't trust our spring water. I've told him hundreds of times, It's never made our sheep ill, so I can't imagine it will harm him.

😀 A lad I used to sub’ with looked horrified and asked what did I think I was doing, when he saw me take a plum off a tree and eat it! I asked him where he thought they came from and he said, ‘well I get mine from Morrisons’, and just looked perplexed when I asked him where did he think Morrison’s got them. I wouldn’t mind but he was only from Kendal, hardly a metropolis. 

When I worked at a big factory in town at the foot of the Pennines, the water the factory used was pumped from a borehole; a water company which tested it claimed it was better than the water they used in their bottling plant at Armathwaite. 

Edited by Scully

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

he was also if he liked children...........

he replied "yes i do ................boiled"......................

No, it was babies that he preferred boiled.

and it was "I like children, little giirrll children, aged 'bout 18 to 20"

but the best of his sayings is  certainly:-

"No doubt exists that all women are crazy, it's only a question of degree"

……...probably caused by drinking bottled water

Apologies for semi-derailing the topic

Edited by amateur

8 hours ago, Scully said:

😀 A lad I used to sub’ with looked horrified and asked what did I think I was doing, when he saw me take a plum off a tree and eat it! I asked him where he thought they came from and he said, ‘well I get mine from Morrisons’, and just looked perplexed when I asked him where did he think Morrison’s got them. I wouldn’t mind but he was only from Kendal, hardly a metropolis. 

When I worked at a big factory in town at the foot of the Pennines, the water the factory used was pumped from a borehole; a water company which tested it claimed it was better than the water they used in their bottling plant at Armathwaite. 

I had a guy watching me dig my spuds out the ground and he hadn’t realised that’s where they’re from. I offered him some fresh peas out the pod and he refused. He said how’d you know if they are in date ??? 

I replied: you’ve just seen me pick them 

Doing an exercise in the Falklands, my section were out and about walking a few miles to set up an ambush, we came across a small stream flowing into a pool, crystal clear, ice cold water, we drank our fill and topped up water bottles, we walked a hundred yards up the hill following the stream and turned to follow it around a bank,and there was the rotting horse carcass with the stream flowing straight through the chest cavity.

It was so nice and cold and refreshing though. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

A couple of weeks ago i had to get on a bus into the town centre, next to the bus stop is a bramble bush and so whilst waiting on the bus i was happily grazing.  From the parts of the bush higher up than a tall dogs belly!

There was a 20 something girl who arrived at the bus stop and looked utterly horrified at what i was doing.  I suggested she try one and I think she was genuinely stunned when it tasted nice.

Curiously enough there is also a well laden blackthorn bush next to that same bus stop and nobody ever picks the sloes (apart from me).

19 hours ago, grrclark said:

A couple of weeks ago i had to get on a bus into the town centre, next to the bus stop is a bramble bush and so whilst waiting on the bus i was happily grazing.  From the parts of the bush higher up than a tall dogs belly!

There was a 20 something girl who arrived at the bus stop and looked utterly horrified at what i was doing.  I suggested she try one and I think she was genuinely stunned when it tasted nice.

Curiously enough there is also a well laden blackthorn bush next to that same bus stop and nobody ever picks the sloes (apart from me).

😃 I’ve been given some strange looks while brambling also, but that could be because I often find the only bags I have on me at any given time seem to be ‘poop’ bags! 

Just ensure you empty the right one into the bowl back home. 👍

On 23/10/2018 at 21:20, Scully said:

A couple from down south are staying in the holiday cottage my OH’s parents own, and have asked if it’s safe to drink the water from the taps without boiling it! It has all mod cons like central heating, a fridge, freezer, cooker etc etc including WiFi. 😳 I know we’re in the sticks, but...really? 

Yes and Sainsbury's is about to sell vibrators three models apparently.

On 24/10/2018 at 00:27, fern01 said:

According to a recently published scientific research paper people who drink a lot of water from plastic bottles and eat a lot of fish have high levels of absorbed plastic in their bodies.

Katie price must have been breast fed bottled water then! And her mum must be a fish mongers wife :hmm: