.223 - 40g

I’ve always shot 40 grain vmax. Not much benefit over 55’s for trajectory. Under 200 yards the extra speed buys maybe an inch if I remember correctly.  Past that the low bc slows it down quicker so drop at 250 is about the same and past 300 a 55 ends up flatter. So for most people shooting fox and similar (ie inside 250 yards) just pick the more accurate one. 

I went with 40’s as it means the same powder to reload as my 20’s in the 17.

rick

Fast and light is not always flatter. The lighter the bullet the quicker it looses energy. And too fast (but not in 223) they expand too quick, i've had 4500fps 35 grain Vmax just expand on impact. I wont use them again on anything bigger than a rabbit. 

On 24/10/2018 at 12:31, Dougy said:

Fast and light is not always flatter. The lighter the bullet the quicker it looses energy. And too fast (but not in 223) they expand too quick, i've had 4500fps 35 grain Vmax just expand on impact. I wont use them again on anything bigger than a rabbit. 

4500 fps? Jeez they're not hanging about !😲  22.250  I assume?

Rich

On 25/10/2018 at 21:34, rapid rich said:

4500 fps? Jeez they're not hanging about !😲  22.250  I assume?

Rich

Yes it was. Still got 15 left after 12 months. 

20 hours ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

Stick with 53g vmax if your shooting distance, the 40 will drop so much faster after a couple hundred yards 

That's what I mainly use.  

I am using 50g vmax and they give me 3100 on the chrono and I must say they are excellent. Anywhere in the front 1/3 and it's dead and dead quickly which is handy when you are being paid. What they wont do though is a quartering away shot where you catch the rear quarter. The bullet is destroyed before you get to the vitals and a follow up is needed. 

• 4 weeks later...

One question that's been over looked, the barrel twist?

I use to run a 12:1 with 40 GN blitz kings. Out to 450yards they were unreal. Very very accurate and things just blow up. However, after 450 yds I was getting the odd bullet tumbling, 500 yards and it ran out of legs and key holes.

I wanted 800+ so changed it and went 8:1 twist. 40 GN bk just blow up mid air unless I run them slower, no point in that,  ended loading 50 GN but their not the same, not as splatty. I have since had a 222 rebarreled I to an 8 twist, light weight short small deer gun with 65gn gamekings. Now life has changed on me I will sell the tikka 223 and have stopped the long range stuff.