Questions

AndyUK

Hi i am new the forum and and wanted to ask a few questions.

My renewal is up for my shotgun cert and got a visit everything should be fine but some say you have to lock you shot gun shells up ? i keep mine under the bed is that ok.

Also i have been taking the keys with me everywhere for 5 years but someone said you can just hide them, is that correct.

Last question when they vistit will they want me to strip the guns down to check serial numbers.

BASC say;

the law does not require you to keep shotgun cartridges secure; however, it is good practice to do so. They are best stored in a cool, dry place where inquisitive children cannot get hold of them. When travelling in a vehicle, keep your guns and ammunition out of sight, preferably in the locked luggage compartment.

On the one occasion I was asked where I keep shells I told the truth that they are kept in a locked cupboard in the back bedroom. As for the serial nos, mine have always been checked for the stamp on the receiver but I've never been asked to strip the gun down and show the barrels etc.

It's probably better to leave the keys hidden in the house than carry them around but don't even mention keys unless the officer asks.