Scottish MP against new gun shop in Edinburgh

Alan Maughan

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909

If you want to see his letter then check out his Facebook page, he seems to be getting quite a spanking.

https://www.facebook.com/DanielJohnsonMSP/

Even the poll he started is 74% for the shop. I would encourage everyone to have there say in a respectful way.

Edited by Alan Maughan

The mind boggles.  

I’d guess the MSP was banking on the locals (it’s a particularly well off area of Edinburgh) being of the anti variety.  Even if I didn’t shoot, I’d have far bigger concerns for my elected representative to deal with, than a firearms dealer legitimately opening in the locality. 

As an aside, I’ve bought from the dealer before - very friendly, helpful and knowledgable.  And I think (depending on the electoral boundaries) one of said MSP’s constituents...

It is surprising the lack of rfd’s in Edinburgh currently given it’s size, wealth, number of shooters and the shooting opportunities on the doorstep. 

Edited by hod

I don't do faceache polls and the like but I had to click on the support button on the poll.

Had the same ridiculous arguments when I opened my shop but had the support of the police and the council. It was only local councillors that caused an issue.

Hadn't realised until now that the owner is EdBewsher from this forum and many others.

Edd

Ridiculous state of affairs but hopefully the publicity will help ed in the long run. The MSPs constituents need to have a word with him. He is also the one sprouting his trumpet about the american lady shooting goats on islay. Trumpet

24 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Another MSP is now screaming about banning hunting on Islay - one of its main money streams:no::oops::/

Same MSP. 

This comment made me chuckle 

Given the dubious reputation of many past politicians I would be more concerned that any party office is anywhere near a school. Gun sports seem to have the better reputation than politicians. At least the gun needs a finger on the trigger to misbehave whilst politicians are autonomous.

If my memory is correct there used to be 2  gunshops in leith  and 4 in edinburgh  they closed one by one last being dixons then  one opened in granton of all places, hope Edd gets it opened it will give me a choice then.

forgot i had bought chokes from him,good guy.

on the comments Sheena Beck said: “Too much violence on the streets already.”

They should shut half the  clubs and pubs in edinburgh thats where the majority of the violence stems from as i see it, not from guns

Edited by AULD YIN
add on info

7 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

If my memory is correct there used to be 2  gunshops in leith  and 4 in edinburgh  they closed one by one last being dixons then  one opened in granton of all places, hope Edd gets it opened it will give me a choice then.

forgot i had bought chokes from him,good guy.

on the comments Sheena Beck said: “Too much violence on the streets already.”

They should shut half the  clubs and pubs in edinburgh thats where the majority of the violence stems from as i see it, not from guns

"Field & Stream "Leith? a great shop never knew what you would  find second hand, I once bought a Hardy Perfect on my way back from Grantown & sold it following year in Grantown & profit  paid for my weeks salmon permit!

I bought a gun from ed recently when he was still operating from home and he will be one of the msps consituents 

A realy nice guy and as he has been operating as an rfd for some time and the shop will of been passed by the cheif constable / police scotland im sure he will be fine

As has been said it is a very well off part of the city and it will be a small minority who have a problem with the shops location and im sure the publicity will do him no harm !!

17 hours ago, novice cushie shooter said:

Ridiculous state of affairs but hopefully the publicity will help ed in the long run. The MSPs constituents need to have a word with him. He is also the one sprouting his trumpet about the american lady shooting goats on islay. Trumpet

Same MSP. 

Different MSPs', the guy in Edinburgh is the list labour MSP. 

That American Lady on Islay also shot a sheep, well a blackface Tup, as well as a few goats and deer. Then plastered it all over social media with the usual cousins enthusiasm that many here found distasteful, round here it's the shooting of the Tup thats got everyone talking, including the odd keeper, with enough social media traffic to spark wider media interest, so we're now subject to trial by media, every petting zoo aficionado and their pet are on radio and TV expressing their outrage at the moment. Mike Russel, the Islay MSP, isn't really to blame here. He's expressing his view, but he's not responsible for the viral nature of the story, he's responding to rather than initiating the copy. 

9 hours ago, guzzicat said:

"Field & Stream "Leith? a great shop never knew what you would  find second hand, I once bought a Hardy Perfect on my way back from Grantown & sold it following year in Grantown & profit  paid for my weeks salmon permit!

Yep,great pity the son went off his heid and held a gun at the polis when they tried to raid the shop..

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:04, panoma1 said:

I suspect he is just jumping on an anti shooting/public protection platform, because he thinks a politically correct crusade against this shop opening will win him support and political credibility with gullible, city based voters?

Of course the fact that he has got his face and name all over the papers and on the TV has absolutely nothing to do with it. How dare you even think that!

Jeez , you would think they would have something better to do with their time,voted snp once but never again, they get more extreme every day, they ought to get their priorities right,hell of a lot in edinburgh thats way higher priority than a gun shop,sadly i live here and see it.

I'll still be voting SNP, because there's much decided in the diddy parliament that affects me directly and IMO the Nats are the best of the bunch at the moment, when it comes to running the show locally. 

Shooting isn't going anywhere soon, Knickers & Co are politicking for the gallery of public opinion over the "Yank" and her antics. The locals of Morningside may support a gun shop, but the majority in my homeland don't. The recent failure of the Greens to win their "Hill Track Bill", whilst a pity in my personal opinion as the ground is starting to look awfully scared, is proof positive, all be it inspired by revenge for the Green's failure to back the Gov's education policy of sampling progress in P1 & 2, that they know where the cash comes from that keeps the few remaining local people on the ground working. 

It still is shooting heaven, but unless you have a pet laird or an in you have to pay. The other side of that is that shooting policy, other than air guns, is decided in London.    

• 4 weeks later...