"im mainly messing about"

ditchman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i need to build a cutting table as....it will be easier to make the knives and do straight accurate cuts...rather clamp in in a vice and have the shakes.......

also i can use it for cutting the exsess off the tool steel when im shaping the full tang knives later in the season.....but for now this is primerly for the folding knives.........

i started off with a gash bit of plate cleaned it up smooth like....so it slides nice...got some flat bar ...and ready to cut and weld cleets to the mini grinder..........

cutting table 001tn_.JPG

cutting table 002tn_.JPG

cutting table 003tn_.JPG

cutting table 004tn_.JPG

cutting table 005tn_.JPG

cutting table 006tn_.JPG

cutting table 007tn_.JPG

cutting table 008tn_.JPG

cutting table 009tn_.JPG

cutting table 010tn_.JPG

cutting table 011tn_.JPG

cutting table 012tn_.JPG

cutting table 013tn_.JPG

cutting table 014tn_.JPG

cutting table 015tn_.JPG

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very interesting mate.

What will you need to make your Cutting Table?

all i need is what you see in the pics............trying to keep it as simple as possible as i will need to un-mount it when i need the mini-grinder on its own...........

51 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh, I wondered if it might be better made a little more solid and steady. Beefier plate for instance.

I realise you want to get the grinder out for other tasks.

that plate should be fine............it is a little warped but with the box section im about to cut....iwill clamp it flat and weld it then..........

all will be reavealed.............just going to have a coffee

did a bit more welding ...put some box sec' on it to flatern it out....cleaned it up and cut a large slot in it so ...

1. it will take a thicker cutting disc
  2. i can replace the disc without taking the grinder out everytime

got my delivery of brass bar....and squared a bit off for the first knife pommell and shoved it on the machine.............

result..:yahoo:....it cut beautiful..........nice clean straight cut....i will also (once marked out) cut off the excess as i can use it to make fine finishing cuts prior to putting it on the linishing machine and hand shaping and polishing..........

so there you have it......................

cutt' fin 001tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 002tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 003tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 004tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 005tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 006tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 007tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 008tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 009tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 010tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 011tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 012tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 013tn_.JPG

cutt' fin 014tn_.JPG

1 minute ago, johnphilip said:

I think you have made an amazing job of it Simon. You should get a good few cuts before the dics becomes to small . Could you clamp a flat bar to help on longer cuts. 

well.........its sort of like using a band saw.................so if you have a reasonable steady hand you can run a straight line...i finish everything off on the flat bed anyway.....

i will see how i get on.....im just silver soldering some pegs into the pommell so when i set it into the horn it will grip solid....sort of like anchor bolts in concrete or brickwork........

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

....im just silver soldering some pegs into the pommell so when i set it into the horn it will grip solid....sort of like anchor bolts in concrete or brickwork........

What a good idea! Never thought of that one, and I've have brass pommels come off stage weaponry before (they lead a very hard life...)

I'll have to give that a try - thanks, Ditchman 👍