"im mainly messing about"

ditchman

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice!!    I have some chunks of bronze about the place. An old bronze book end. I can cut a chunk off if you can use it. Never tried melting bronze but really wants melting and casting so sections can be cut as needed.

Also have some tine ends from Chital deer. I will examine and see how dense they are.

im ordering up some brass flat bar on monday for this and my other make a knife thread.....................

BUT....................later on winter time im going to build a forge/smelter....ive got all the stuff but i havnt time at the moment to build it....i will be using my leaf blower as a air source...as i can adjust the throttle on that..............my mate has been metal detecting for years and has enomous bags of little bits of brass and little bits of lead and copper...which is carp from old bonfires going back to victorian times....and he has been plauging me to build a smelter....i just need 3 smelting pots now...and i will get them when funds allow..

need to build the forge anyway to heat treat the blades that i will be making.............

i sent you a PM do you want the back end of that antler

:good:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant do much more until the brass plate arrives which i will order up monday,ish............

said i would get rid of the agricultural finish to it so i.....

1. super polished the metalwork....the bade...(very hard carbon steel)...when you hold it in the right light ...it has a blue'ish tinge to it
  2. also i wasnt happy as to how paper thin the point of the blade was....so i took 3mm off until there was some decent meat in it...
  3. then sharpened on a wet stone..........

thats all................

opinel polish 001tn_.JPG

opinel polish 002tn_.JPG

opinel polish 003tn_.JPG

opinel polish 004tn_.JPG

opinel polish 006tn_.JPG

opinel polish 007tn_.JPG

opinel polish 008tn_.JPG

opinel polish 005tn_.JPG

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Love the self portrait!:good:

if that is a self portrait.....then i must be a bloody Darlek...........................

10 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Thats looking Bonny Simon . Polished up lovely .

i tell you..........as that steel is sooo hard it went thro 6 stages of polishing.......180 grit.....600 grit....800 grit....coarse medium....medium medium.....fine medium....(jewerllers rouge)

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

if that is a self portrait.....then i must be a bloody Darlek...........................

i tell you..........as that steel is sooo hard it went thro 6 stages of polishing.......180 grit.....600 grit....800 grit....coarse medium....medium medium.....fine medium....(jewerllers rouge)

I tried one of those flap discs for a grinder , they have little bits of scotchbrite on them wow they are amazing . Just learning to Tig weld , so keep it for cleaning the steal.

Edited by johnphilip

37 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I tried one of those flap discs for a grinder , they have little bits of scotchbrite on them wow they are amazing . Just learning to Tig weld , so keep it for cleaning the steal.

well done when you TIG weld....it needs to be clean......also check you have the right electrodes....thoriated and zirconiated....one for ferrous one for ferric...and keep those tips clean....:good:

Only tried a couple of times ,found it hard to keep the filler wire running through my fingers , not keeping to well this year to many viruses all the time keeps laying me up . Was making some railing for the steps into me house , got most of it made then knocked on me backside lol. I tend to like stick welding , not done a lot realy .

30 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Only tried a couple of times ,found it hard to keep the filler wire running through my fingers , not keeping to well this year to many viruses all the time keeps laying me up . Was making some railing for the steps into me house , got most of it made then knocked on me backside lol. I tend to like stick welding , not done a lot realy .

running a good TIG is like rubbing your belly and patting yourself on the head at the same time............its impossible,,,,,then it suddenly "clicks"

christ .....you lot are costing me some money..................order up half a metre of 1 1/2" X1/4" flat brass bar ...inc del' and vat...£30.90p..delivery 1-2 days.......at this rate im going to start casting my own....

then i had one more piece of prong (antler)...i was am so taken with the first one im making.....thought i would make another one....so i bought some new files...(only for bone)  and shaped the hardest part of the making...didnt come out too bad ...the antler has 2 loverly curves in it which fit the hand soooo sweetly ..........will carry on with it tomorrow and clean (lighten) it up a bit....but leaving the battle marks on it.....(it will look nice with a flat brass pommel on it i rekon.....)

im messing about doing these knives as i want some practice and confidence as to when i do the real deal ones....and i will also try making some hidden tang jobbies.......

onward and upward....

2nd opinel 001tn_.JPG

2nd opinel 002tn_.JPG

2nd opinel 003tn_.JPG

Looking good Simon. I got some lovely files when i was stick making. One that shifts stuff. Has what looks like lots of small bits of hacksaw blades in it .and nice course files . More like rasps . They were not cheap . But helped  loads on things like rams horn .

Edited by johnphilip

8 minutes ago, Rookandrabbit said:

Cracking job and the blade is superb 👍

cheers..:good:  always been a fan of opinel knives cause of the steel.....also they have always ...(proberly need to check)  ground the blades with a full scadinavian grind  from top to bottom...which makes it easy for a novice to keep sharp and anyone else for that matter............

just waiting for the brass to turn up now and then i will crank up the linishing machine.............