Future of shooting sports?

stuartyboy

Talking to others recently about shooting and the future of shooting sports. Seems that the general consensus among folk I've spoke to, is that our sport as we know it will not survive long term.

I knows this sounds pessimistic but is it realistic? 

Seems to be a lot of threads about attacks on shooting, further restrictions, etc. 

I believe that we will see further restrictions, more intrusive and stringent licensing requirements, re classification of shotguns to FAC, shotgun ammo to be held only on license, ban on all lead, etc.

All this, in my opinion, is designed to make it too much hassle for most folk to apply for or to renew their license rather than for public safety. And obviously we need strength in numbers for support.

Just putting this out there to see if anyone can cheer me up by contradicting this and to hear other peoples views.

I've been shooting for almost 30 years and even in that relatively short time I've seen a lot of changes, unfortunately mostly negative. I've been on marches, wrote to MPs, introduced a lot of people to shooting (many since successfully applied for their license), been member of shooting organisations etc etc but to no avail when it comes to the negative changes.

I hope I'm wrong but at times do wonder.

I can see where you are coming from in many ways.

I have been shooting for 40 yrs and have done pretty much the same as you.Got many people started off.My youngest son is now shooting with me and will be applying for his own cert soon.There seem to be many hurdles in our way.It is certainly is a lot more controlled and negative than when I started out.When we received the pistol ban.i had to give up target shooting and I gave up rifle shooting at the same time as the range closed.

However it is big business in reality and does contribute to local economies so I think we will be ok.We all have to stick together though.

I'm sure I read some where that there have been more applications for sgc / fac this year than ever before, and as politician tend to pick on minorities of one sort or another to further their careers the more there are of us the better as long as we stick together! That is going to be the hard bit as to many  shooters are happy to see other go to save their own skins

Ive got a couple of young guys i work with who are contemplating applying for SGCs and at our first syndicate shoot a couple of weeks ago there were 6 youngsters out of the 20 guns - we shoot 10 guns walk one stand one - so I'm optimistic BUT God help us if Comrade Corbyn gets in as he definitely wants to ban gun ownership.

I do share your fears however as there is a lot of negative press currently and a young keeper friend on a large estate has said he does not expect to reach retirement age in his current profession and his boss is of the same view.

Nah, I think we're alright, as bluesj said shooting is becoming more and more popular, BASC/NRA is getting stronger and larger membership. The Tories & the Lords protect shooting because a lot of them come from that sort of background. I was also buoyed watching MPs stand up and defend shooting in the Commons this year thanks to the joint effort against that stupid European weapon legislation. We need more BASC membership and a more vocal community, a touch of self-policing wouldn't hurt... 

The only thing that will upset this in my eyes is another mass-tragedy. I'm gonna get flak saying this but I reckon the 'practical shotgun' crowd are the biggest risk in this respect. It can attract the sort of 'SAS wannabe' kind of person who turns up in a black boiler suit with all the military gear, boxfed mags with buckshot in... I'm by no means saying that everyone into practical shotgun is a mass shooter in training, PS looks fun, I'd like to give it a go! I've just noticed that 1 in a 1000 is of the potentially unhinged variety and the kind of guns they can by are the most dangerous in my opinion; fast firing, heavy load, magazine fed shotguns. I saw a fella wearing head to toe camo, military knee/elbow pads, tactical gloves, assault vest... everything; I was thinking... If the Daily Mail got a glimpse of this guy running around with a deadly weapon the public will be on us in no time.

Anyway, rant over. I think we're fine as long as there's not another tragedy, as tragedies seem to inspire knee-jerk reactions.

Edited by AdamSouthEast

4 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Nah, I think we're alright, as bluesj said shooting is becoming more and more popular, BASC/NRA is getting stronger and larger membership. The Tories & the Lords protect shooting because a lot of them come from that sort of background. I was also buoyed watching MPs stand up and defend shooting in the Commons this year thanks to the joint effort against that stupid European weapon legislation. We need more BASC membership and a more vocal community, a touch of self-policing wouldn't hurt... 

The only thing that will upset this in my eyes is another mass-tragedy. I'm gonna get flak saying this but I reckon the 'practical shotgun' crowd are the biggest risk in this respect. It can attract the sort of 'SAS wannabe' kind of person who turns up in a black boiler suit with all the military gear, boxfed mags with buckshot in... I'm by no means saying that everyone into practical shotgun is a mass shooter in training, PS looks fun, I'd like to give it a go! I've just noticed that 1 in a 1000 is of the potentially unhinged variety and the kind of guns they can by are the most dangerous in my opinion; fast firing, heavy load, magazine fed shotguns. I saw a fella wearing head to toe camo, military knee/elbow pads, tactical gloves, assault vest... everything; I was thinking... If the Daily Mail got a glimpse of this guy running around with a deadly weapon the public will be on us in no time.

Anyway, rant over. I think we're fine as long as there's not another tragedy, as tragedies seem to inspire knee-jerk reactions.

But be prepared for more legislation. The UK equivalent of these is not an unthinkable possibility:

Waffenbesitzkarte

Jagdschein

"The only thing that will upset this in my eyes is another mass-tragedy. I'm gonna get flak saying this but I reckon the 'practical shotgun' crowd are the biggest risk in this respect. It can attract the sort of 'SAS wannabe' kind of person who turns up in a black boiler suit with all the military gear, boxfed mags with buckshot in... I'm by no means saying that everyone into practical shotgun is a mass shooter in training, PS looks fun, I'd like to give it a go! I've just noticed that 1 in a 1000 is of the potentially unhinged variety and the kind of guns they can by are the most dangerous in my opinion; fast firing, heavy load, magazine fed shotguns. I saw a fella wearing head to toe camo, military knee/elbow pads, tactical gloves, assault vest... everything; I was thinking... If the Daily Mail got a glimpse of this guy running around with a deadly weapon the public will be on us in no time."

Agree with those comments.....plus it's the image of rich/entitled guns dressed head to toe in costume, driving Range Rovers, shooting pheasants, reared, released and driven by beaters that do the sport no favours in the eyes of the public. I know that description is a cliche but it is all too often the only view the public have of shooting sports. 

Veganism is becoming very trendy especially with young people, many also see the production of meat as a big part of global warming. add to this the likes of Packham and RSPB .[ although they sometimes see the benefits of pest control]  Corbyn'ites and their class hatred.. then add high profile BOP disappearances, pheasant incinerating, and young women posing with dead sheep.. personally i would like the organisations like BASC take a more proactive stance to state the good work and conservation aspect of shooting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44488051

40 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Veganism is becoming very trendy especially with young people, many also see the production of meat as a big part of global warming. add to this the likes of Packham and RSPB .[ although they sometimes see the benefits of pest control]  Corbyn'ites and their class hatred.. then add high profile BOP disappearances, pheasant incinerating, and young women posing with dead sheep.. personally i would like the organisations like BASC take a more proactive stance to state the good work and conservation aspect of shooting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44488051

We should be capitalising on your first point. I read a very good article a few months ago about game meat (I think pheasant) being healthier and better for the environment than beef. (Off the top of my head) something like 30% more protein per pound, 10% of greenhouse gas production per pound and 1% of the water useage per pound of meat. BASC should be singing about that from the rooftops and getting some top chefs on the case for the telly-masses.

Edited by AdamSouthEast

1 minute ago, AdamSouthEast said:

We should be capitalising on your first point. I read a very good article a few months ago about game meat (I think pheasant) being healthier and better for the environment than beef. (Off the top of my head) something like 30% more protein per pound, 10% of greenhouse gas production per pound and 1% of the water useage per pound of meat. BASC should be singing about that from the rooftops and getting some top chefs on the case for the telly-masses.

Absolutely ! promote the positive rather than defend the bad.. compare a pheasants life to a broiler hen. I use this argument all the time in my food business which concentrates on wild game and fish

The one thing we must not allow to happen is think that all is well, and we can't be touched if we abide by the law.The anti shooting brigade will do all within their power to discredit us.We must not let apathy take us over.BASC,the Countryside Alliance and all other shooting organisations must fight our corner and publicise the good we do in the communities.We as individuals must also take every opportunity to tell people about our hobbies and introduce them to the countryside ways.Make no mistake if a labour government came to power every tree hugger in the country will be lobbying their MPs.

Absolutely ! promote the positive rather than defend the bad.. compare a pheasants life to a broiler hen. I use this argument all the time in my food business which concentrates on wild game and fish

Fair point - push the positives rather than trying to defend negatives, against antis who won't listen.:good:

4 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

What is needed is unity, whether you shoot clays, game,practical  or a 50 cal,no negative digs at other peoples idea of sport , there lies our best chance of our sport surviving.

This, in spades.

There is absolutely no point throwing someone else under the bus - every aspect of our support that disappears is another click of the ratchet. Once gone, it will be gone for good, and the anti' s will turn their attention to their next easiest target.

Look up Martin Niemoller...

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I say this all the time too; when someone is stuffing chicken in their face and tell me they don't think shooting is ethical (this has happened quite a number of times now) I lay out the following scenario to them: If you had to be one of the following animals for a lifetime, which would you choose?

A Pigeon:

• Over your lifetime you've got about a 90% chance of not being shot, if not more.
  • You're free your entire life and can fly wherever you choose and do whatever the hell you want, eating whatever you want
  • You can mate with whichever other pigeons you fancy when you fancy
  • There is a 10% chance that one day you'll be flying along enjoying the sun and you'll be dead instantly because you've been shot.

or a chicken raised for meat:

• You have a limited lifetime, you will be killed for food in your first 6 months of life.
  • You are either caged or have a limited area in which to roam, your diet is controlled
  • You have no choice in if or when you ever mate
  • There is 100% chance you'll be killed in a slaughterhouse with no chance of freedom or survival

Usually makes people think a bit. All the same arguments apply to wild game; deer, rabbits etc.

2 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

This, in spades.

There is absolutely no point throwing someone else under the bus - every aspect of our support that disappears is another click of the ratchet. Once gone, it will be gone for good, and the anti' s will turn their attention to their next easiest target.

Look up Martin Niemoller...

Just to be clear I'm absolutely not throwing practical shotgun under the bus and do not in anyway think it should be banned or anything. I'm saying it occasionally attracts the wrong kind of person and we/they/as a community should self police to stop these kind of people getting guns. I do not believe everyone should have access to firearms.

Edited by AdamSouthEast

3 hours ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Just to be clear I'm absolutely not throwing practical shotgun under the bus and do not in anyway think it should be banned or anything. I'm saying it occasionally attracts the wrong kind of person and we/they/as a community should self police to stop these kind of people getting guns. I do not believe everyone should have access to firearms.

Not everyone does have access to firearms, nor do the police believe everyone should have access to firearms.  But it is the job of the police to decide who has access to firearms, based on whether they meet specified criteria, and not for the likes of you or I to pass judgement on those who dress in a fashion we don't approve of nor who use firearms we don't approve of, no matter how it looks in the Daily Mail. 

Edited by Scully