Shooting wild goats - news story

Ricko

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It puts money into an economy that needs all the money it can get, the price of wool has collapsed, I think sheep are fetching about half what they did a few years ago at market. The hills that used to be covered with sheep are bare now. Fishing was ruined by the EU and nobody wears tweed anymore

The goats will end up on a plate no doubt, its no different to driving them to the abattoir, except somebody is prepared to fly in, pay a taxi to take them to a hotel stay a few nights and then probably pay an extortionate amount to do the abatoir's job for them  

The hotel benefits it creates  jobs and everybody wins. How can a Scottish MP be so thick  as not to realise, this is the real world, shooting is an industry in a rural economy.

Not surprised a SMP has no idea what actually goes on in rural Scotland, the article says £155 MILLION is generated, if shooting was banned what are they going to replace this money with?

The woman in the article probably did more to boost tourism than the smp ever has.

To be fair someone shooting a posing with someones domestic sheep is not hunting in any way shape or form.

Have no problem with the goats or deer as will be wild

But shooting someones Blackie Tup is just wrong, i'd imagine it would be still in a small enclosure trying to fatten it up for tupping season (which will be a bit later up there)

But i can understand why farmer/landowner take the money for it, be worth ****** all at slaughter house and looking at its muzzle may be past its best for working hill ewes.

And in actual fact as long as a humane shot may be more humane than shipping it to the slaughter house by time transported/ferry rides etc, i bet that tup hasn't been handled or transported much in its life, so a bullet is probably less stressful.

I can see why farmer would bite there hand off thou

Stupidity like that and then smearing it over the net does shooting/stalking no favours.

But it also shows the type of views a very vocal minority of UK's general public have. With the rise of social media and knee jerk/popularist decisions it's only going to get worse for shooting over the next few yeas.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Yet facebook has anglers posting pictures of fish and thats ok, or a photo of their lovely steak dinner...hypocrisy!

Exactly this. It was only mid summer when I was listening to the BBC R2 Steve Wright show and he had a couple of ‘friends’ on who talked about fishing ( think they were presenting a programme ) and Steve Wright admitted he hadn’t been fishing for a long time but did enjoy it, and then asked ‘is it cruel?’ 

One of his guests sighed a bit and then said something along the lines of ‘ well it could be described as cruel’ but then went on to explain how it was all so very sustainable with fresh stocks every other year, and all the conservation work carried out by fishermen who put money back into the environment! 😳 Ring any bells? 

Something wrong when shooting alien vermin takes up the first spot on the scottish news and the guys that stole the Rolex watches from Gleneagles and got over 20 years is in second place . That snp mp from Argyll and Bute want to have a long hard look at himself wanting goat shooting banned when in brings in much need revenue to the area at a lean time for most guest houses and estates 

I think some of the sheep out there are/go wild.  i.e. they refuse to be rounded up with the others and over time go truly wild.  They are known as "Roughies" if I recall correctly, and take off like a deer at the first sight of a person. Probably reasonably difficult to stalk, but my knowledge is limited.

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

And in actual fact as long as a humane shot may be more humane than shipping it to the slaughter house by time transported/ferry rides etc, i bet that tup hasn't been handled or transported much in its life, so a bullet is probably less stressful.

This very much so. Someone should make that point to the stupid Tesco comment person. But I suspect it would be a waste of breath.

Just now, Piebob said:

I think some of the sheep out there are/go wild.  i.e. they refuse to be rounded up with the others and over time go truly wild.  They are known as "Roughies" if I recall correctly, and take off like a deer at the first sight of a person. Probably reasonably difficult to stalk, but my knowledge is limited.

When i was stalking for the forestry commission all those years ago at Rannoch we used to shoot a few wild sheep in the blocks with the agreement of the estates as there was a big worry about sheep scab then , if the estates wanted the sheep that where in the blocks it took a big effort with a lot of men and dogs as they where wild as hell and bolted as soon as they saw somebody  , and if you got them out the forestry blocks the sheppard had to do it slowly and try to walk them home as with the weight of the fleece they often could overheat and suffer from pneumonia 

Get feral sheep living in a few of the forestry blocks near me (infact know 1 farmer actually rounded them up after foot and mouth to restart his flock)

I'm no shepherd but that sheep is not a 'roughie', its in great nick and looks like a fair age too. Think someone said earlier looks recently shorn.

I'd be amazed if that sheep was 'feral/wild'

Also don't think there is an awful lot of big forestry blocks on Islay and less on Jurra

Some of the 'conservation' bodies/agencies probably shoot more goats than anyone in scotland if threatening these valuable regen woods springing up everywhere.

We have enough problems defending legitimate stalking wether deer or goats without some rich numpty shooting tame sheep and posting photos of it.

She there banging on about 'trophy' hunting too again and don't realise u only get trophies if animals are healthy and well managed

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Not surprised a SMP has no idea what actually goes on in rural Scotland, the article says £155 MILLION is generated, if shooting was banned what are they going to replace this money with?

The woman in the article probably did more to boost tourism than the smp ever has.

Sturgeons fictitious post independence North Sea oil?

3 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I'm no shepherd but that sheep is not a 'roughie', its in great nick and looks like a fair age too. Think someone said earlier looks recently shorn.

We have enough problems defending legitimate stalking wether deer or goats without some rich numpty shooting tame sheep and posting photos of it.

Agree entirely.

The media reaction had been hysterical and some of the comments of Scottish Government Ministers nothing short of gesture driven ignorant soundbites, but the photo of the blackie was seriously misjudged.

21 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Agree entirely.

The media reaction had been hysterical and some of the comments of Scottish Government Ministers nothing short of gesture driven ignorant soundbites, but the photo of the blackie was seriously misjudged.

But what you have to realise, is that it was all for her American market, she has a TV show over there I believe.

21 minutes ago, Penelope said:

But what you have to realise, is that it was all for her American market, she has a TV show over there I believe.

But even still she can go back home its her stalker/guides/ghiles over the whole of scotland/uk that could lose jobs over this.

I do appreciate that WILD sheep in many countries offer some of the hardest stalking there is but not in UK, canned hunting at its worst.

Bt is she trying to encourage/promote other stupid hunters to come over and shoot tame sheep too???

Althou i bet most upland farmers would love it getting paid big money to get rid of there cast tups.

Not wanting to be critical of landowners/stalker but mibee they should of not allowed her to shoot a farmers sheep, but sadly i also apppreciate money talks, esp if someone is offering u Big money for something which is almost worthless,

Must admit social media is a massive problem nowadays, shooting will always have a very small minority who are very anti and very vocal, social media gives them the perfect platform to get  together and create even more noise.

But the problem isthe vast vast majority who really don' t care enough to look into it are esily fooled and while click stupid petions, yet they'd never sign the same petion in the street.

There will be a raft of petions now about banning various forms of stalking in scotland (the daft ******* don't even realise most of the highland rural houses/estates and whole economy of the past was built almost purely on stalking) They don't think farming some of the worst land in UK paid for all those beautiful big houses up there??

Even now stalking will bring in decent money, while i doubt it solely keeps many estates affloat definately keeps folk in jobs and kids in rural schools

The non shooting public, quite rightly in my opinion, don't understand the need of some shooters/hunters to publicise, brag and crow about their successes! All it does is "add fuel to the fire" of the antis by drawing the publics focus solely on the "kill" as opposed to all the many other positive things that make up an enjoyable and healthy day in the field!

The public do not see, so are not focussed on the beast being slaughtered in the slaughterhouse, or kicking on the floor after being stunned, or hung up bled, skinned and gutted!.......... they just see the piece of meat, shrinkwrapped on the shelves at the local Tesco......the public do not want to see dead animals.....so don't show it to them!....if we do, we will get this reaction every time!

34 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The non shooting public, quite rightly in my opinion, don't understand the need of some shooters/hunters to publicise, brag and crow about their successes! All it does is "add fuel to the fire" of the antis by drawing the publics focus solely on the "kill" as opposed to all the many other positive things that make up an enjoyable and healthy day in the field!

The public do not see, so are not focussed on the beast being slaughtered in the slaughterhouse, or kicking on the floor after being stunned, or hung up bled, skinned and gutted!.......... they just see the piece of meat, shrinkwrapped on the shelves at the local Tesco......the public do not want to see dead animals.....so don't show it to them!....if we do, we will get this reaction every time!

That sums it up quite nicely.

All very unnecessary in my opinion.

2 hours ago, scotslad said:

Get feral sheep living in a few of the forestry blocks near me (infact know 1 farmer actually rounded them up after foot and mouth to restart his flock)

Also don't think there is an awful lot of big forestry blocks on Islay and less on Jurra

Some of the 'conservation' bodies/agencies probably shoot more goats than anyone in scotland if threatening these valuable regen woods springing up everywhere.

She there banging on about 'trophy' hunting too again and don't realise u only get trophies if animals are healthy and well managed

As I said in post 2, the ram had been clipped this year. we have older rams still working in a township ! perhaps it was a wedder ready for home consumption...