Titan x Ultishot

louisvanhovell

Hi, yesterday I finally re-sealed and assembled some Titan parts that I had lying around. A .22 Manitou breech/barrel, I think the rest comes off a Bearcat. As the Titan range of pcp's has a modular build, as do BSA mmc airguns, everything can be mixed and matched.

The stock is from an Ultishot; a short-lived airgun brand from Cornwall that produced air shotguns. Lead shot at sub 12 ft/lbs isn't very effective. Anyway, it's funny how a box of parts that I thought about selling for about a year, have come together as a useable and very accurate airgun. Most people will probably find it ugly, but I like its quirkiness.

The sweet spot is between 125 and 80 bars. It has a power adjuster, but I've left it where it was; at about 10 ft/lbs with JSB Express 14.35 gr. Plinking up to 70 yards is great fun. It's quite pingy, which is a common ailment of Titans and Falcon FN's (they are a copy of the Titan design - there is some controversy here). A depinger from Robert Lane is on its way. I fitted a quick fill adapter from Best Fittings, with a nice delrin cap that doesn't look misplaced.

Servicing the action was a pain btw; someone, or perhaps Titan, had used Loctite on all threads. The brass parts are round, so I needed to be inventive and ask for some advice, to unscrew them without causing damage. Once all is apart, it's very easy to service and the build quality is high. John Bowkett designed these, and many design features are used in his later BSA mmc design (Ultra/Hornet/Techstar/Lonestar/Sportsman HV). 

Cheers

MPyFoYp.jpg

Edited by louisvanhovell

brilliant:good: as a boy i always wanted a titan mpt carbine. later as a teenager i managed to save up for secondhand fn12 lighthunter what a brilliant little gun. like most young lads i made a mistake and swapped it for something i thought would be better:mad:biggest mistake made i tried tracking that gun down but no luck. i do still own a falcon. a prarie which i had done in hydrographics good gun with lots of improvements but still liked the old lighthunter better.

a old shooting partner of mine who sadly passed away used to rebuild titan/falcons changing tubes tubes etc. he did shorten a fn 19 to a fn8 once if  i remember correctly.

great guns but as time moves on so does development i am afraid

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Looks like a nice rifle and a good detailed write up.

I know what you mean, but good guns are still good despite age.

yes sir you are 100% right. i use my old wehirauch which must be nearly 40 years old. i also have a nice lincoln and jefferies which is over 100 years old

10 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

How easy was it to adapt to quickfill? I have a stalker and the standard fill probe is ****! 

I can highly reccomend a reg for it there set at 90 bar and you can then get a decent amout of shots out of it without the silly power curve.

a tap washer makes a great de pinger in these guns.

Hi, it was very easy to adapt to quickfill: 

https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/fill-probes-adaptors/custom-parts/falcon-fn-quick-fill-upgrade/

It's simply a matter of screwing the male part on. 

Do you use a Robert Lane reg? It's a good idea. Using it in the sweet spot is possible as well, but then I can only fill to about 125 bars. Whilst I believe that these can be filled to 160 bars. 

What kind of gun have you got? A Titan Stalker? Have you got a photo? 

Many thanks, Louis

On 25/10/2018 at 18:19, bumpy22 said:

brilliant:good: as a boy i always wanted a titan mpt carbine. later as a teenager i managed to save up for secondhand fn12 lighthunter what a brilliant little gun. like most young lads i made a mistake and swapped it for something i thought would be better:mad:biggest mistake made i tried tracking that gun down but no luck. i do still own a falcon. a prarie which i had done in hydrographics good gun with lots of improvements but still liked the old lighthunter better.

a old shooting partner of mine who sadly passed away used to rebuild titan/falcons changing tubes tubes etc. he did shorten a fn 19 to a fn8 once if  i remember correctly.

great guns but as time moves on so does development i am afraid

Thank you. I had a fn12 lighthunter as well, with the profile stock. A very special gun. They do come up for sale every now and then. I agree that it is a nicer gun than the Prairie. 

I've had modern pcp's too, the most modern one being a fac .25 FX Bobcat. This Titan does everything I want though; it's accurate, it handles well, lightweight, well built, easy to service. I like it a lot more than some newer guns with a "made in China" feel (even though lots of very good stuff is made in the Orient these days). The trigger is exceptionally good and can be adjusted in 3 ways: first stage, second stage, angle of the trigger blade. The only thing I find a bit worrying is the thinness of the barrel. It's also quite long; I have this fear of hitting the end of the barrel against a tree, and damaging it, or losing the zero. Not sure if I need to worry though. 

On 25/10/2018 at 18:29, Mice! said:

Looks like a nice rifle and a good detailed write up.

I know what you mean, but good guns are still good despite age.

Thank you 

On 30/10/2018 at 20:48, Bass301gmh said:

I've got 3.   2 Titan FN19 in .22 & .177 and a Titan Bearcat in .177 all with Walnut stocks.  I've had them tuned by JB himself and can honestly say they are as good as anything out there!

Very nice. Here's a photo of my JB tuned Bearcat in .20. A lovely gun. I've just bought a nice period Weaver scope for it; this Hawke Airmax is good, but doesn't look right on the gun. 

Cheers

w8dZYQ2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i,ve had a titan pcp since 1994.

.was an expensive purchase at the time being there field target model in .177 with adjustable walnut stock non thumbhole mtc manitou 010 ?

i know they did not make many of them.

for an old design its pellet on pellet and can't bring myself to part with it for a more modern offering.

Edited by Remimax