Help needed about shotgun transfering

Hotch

Hi,

Can’t find much information online. 

My father in law has a shotgun which he is going to give me. He hasn’t got a valid SGC anymore what would be the consequences in signing it over to me? using his old SGC details. 

I’m a SGC holder. 

Thanks in Advance

Take the shotgun to a RFD and ask him to transfer it to his register on the understanding it is to be transferred onto your ticket as soon as he’s done so. Pay him for this service . It’s that simple. I’ve done it a number of times. 

Edited by Scully

3 minutes ago, Hotch said:

Thanks I will give the my RFD a call tomorrow. 

They will possibly ask why he is in possession of an illegally held shotgun, which may then be seized, then neither of you will have it, or they may be understanding and tell you to take it to your local RFD and have it transferred to your ticket.

It all depends on how your FEO or licensing team interpret it. The choice is yours.  

Just now, Scully said:

They will possibly ask why he is in possession of an illegally held shotgun, which may then be seized, then neither of you will have it, or they may be understanding and tell you to take it to your local RFD and have it transferred to your ticket.

It all depends on how your FEO or licensing team interpret it. The choice is yours.  

Good point I will call the shop first and see if they can help before potentially it all going to pot. 

18 minutes ago, button said:

How has he managed to keep a gun if he moved longer has a certificate?

It happens a lot fella. Firearms licencing depts are simply not up to speed and expired tickets are not 'chased up on' anywhere near as much as you might imagine. I know of two cases recently where SGC's expired and no-one from plod did anything for ages afterwards. One instance led to guns being left in a locked cabinet and the keys left with a solicitor until a new SGC could be sorted (this done by the holder when he realised his SGC had expired 9 months previously), and another case where a move of house (plod notified at the time) led to renewal notices being posted to the old address and family members being contacted some 5 months later to put plod in contact with the SGC holder and arrange temporary transferral of the guns held whilst renewal happened.