Debenhams now!

TIGHTCHOKE

We've had the John Lewis shock news and now Debenhams has stated it will close stores in order to survive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45975321

Why is any one surprised? This country is now buying more and more on line. No massively costly shop fronts to maintain.

So the high streets will all be gone, it is simply a retail evolution that most people are responsible for.

All this disgust and shock is so pointless.

I find pedestrianisation of town centres has also become a big factor. I work in property maintenance and deal with quite a few retailers, all of which report a loss of footfall due to this. You can’t just ‘pop’ into town and pick something up anymore. Now you have to pay to park in a car park 1/2 a mile away and then walk in, most likely in the **** pouring rain to boot. On the other hand you can find whatever you want,  get next day delivery and probably save a few quid without even leaving the house. And they wonder why most high streets are full of charity shops and travel agents. The mind boggles eh?!.

2 hours ago, Trevorevans said:

I find pedestrianisation of town centres has also become a big factor. I work in property maintenance and deal with quite a few retailers, all of which report a loss of footfall due to this. You can’t just ‘pop’ into town and pick something up anymore. Now you have to pay to park in a car park 1/2 a mile away and then walk in, most likely in the **** pouring rain to boot. On the other hand you can find whatever you want,  get next day delivery and probably save a few quid without even leaving the house. And they wonder why most high streets are full of charity shops and travel agents. The mind boggles eh?!.

agree with this out of town shopping has been encouraged towards shopping parcs  don't matter where you go in the country same shops same ****  inner town / city shops converted to eateries coffee shops and charity shops  / + car parking costs / retail shops do not have the backing of local councils  high rent and rates       charity shops new business get a concession local councils do not encourage inner city shopping experience rather walk around have a coffee and go home  

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We've had the John Lewis shock news and now Debenhams has stated it will close stores in order to survive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45975321

Why is any one surprised? This country is now buying more and more on line. No massively costly shop fronts to maintain.

So the high streets will all be gone, it is simply a retail evolution that most people are responsible for.

All this disgust and shock is so pointless.

Commented to a pal last week,I could not remember the last time I spent "money" (no jokes about tight Scots please I am a Geordie) on line or card is the norm now.

1 hour ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Huge Debenhams in Norwich and personally, I've only bought one item there in past 10-15yrs. When we visit Norwich we often walk through the store but it is never busy. I suspect this one might go as we have two massive shopping malls that are much more accessible. 

Massive shopping malls? Oh how sheltered a Norfolk person’s life is 🙂

Chapelfield is a small shopping centre and Castle Mall is half empty and projected to be further so unfortunately.

Debenhams has undergone some huge improvements in the particular store and I would genuinely be saddened to see it go- spent many an hour after school in the early 80’s downstairs in the toy department playing the handheld video games.

Have they moved with the times???

Over the last 10 years we've seen a lot of big names go bust.

Think about Blockbuster and Netflix, both involve people paying to watch films, one went bust the other thrived!

Don't think I've ever bought anything from Debenhams ever.

8 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Huge Debenhams in Norwich and personally, I've only bought one item there in past 10-15yrs. When we visit Norwich we often walk through the store but it is never busy. I suspect this one might go as we have two massive shopping malls that are much more accessible. 

This is what has happened in Harrow. Debenhams used to be right in the heart of the shopping centre but two new malls have left it isolated now. I still buy from them quite a lot but I tend to buy click and collect popping in about 7.45pm when the car parks are both free and empty to pick up my order

When I go at that time the shop is deserted

Edited by Vince Green

On 26 October 2018 at 13:36, ditchman said:

norwich is banning people stopping in their cars and dropping off folk and picking up......closing more roads off and continuing to put up buisness rates....parking charges are going stupid..all of which dosnt help

Yes, and more misery for Norwich-bound shoppers as another series of heavily used streets are going to be shut off before Xmas. Transport for Norwich are exactly the opposite - many, many older or less confident drivers now refuse to use our lovely City because of this lot! Wife works at a supermarket just outside the inner ring road and she has this conversation with customers every day. They are terrified by the changes even though in reality I have found them ok - in the day BUT very very disruptive as the roadworks progress. T for N are killing our city and they don't care - they just hate cars.

the interesting thing is Bonds......now john lewis ...they are in the centre of the city...and they are doing fine...and no problem with their large goods sales............

reason.............they have their own multi storey car park part of the building............

With regard to out of town shopping, I agree that this has had an effect on city/town centres, however I drove past a small retail park in a coastal town near me; Homebase closed, MFI closed, etc. These units have not been let again and remain empty, the economic slow down has had far reaching consequences.

One of the lads at work used to be in retail in a local town, went straight into his fathers shop from school and made a very good living for thirty odd years, and then B&M opened up when the Woolworths closed. He is now a labourer for a passive house building company. The local traditional sweet shop which has been in the same town since I can remember is closing this week, and for the same reason; can't compete with the buying power or the variety of the big store apparently. 

We are encouraged to shop online and footfall decreases in stores. The same goes for the banks, as in customers are encouraged to bank online, then both local branches HSBC and Barclays closed in my home town. There's only the PO left now.  

1 hour ago, countryman said:

Since woolworths went the high street shops seem to be going one by one. Most of us buy on line now for most of our things, it is sad to see it all going but we have all got addicted to the Internet. 

I don't think so. I can buy things cheaper online than I can in town. I don't get stuck in traffic or have to spend time where I don't really want to be.

I think it's everything that's starting to fail not just the highstreet. The US stock market is starting to crack, as is the rest of the world and people blame the internet. It's debt and people have run out of money and the economy is slowing. Checkout the FTSE and Dow over the last 3 month's. 

I don't think any further QE will solve this bubble!

Screenshot_20181028-154615_Finance.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-154607_Finance.jpg

Edited by Whatmuff