Gamebore Black Gold 20 bore

I’m thinking of getting some of these in 30grm 5 and 6 for pheasant shooting. I won’t be shooting very high pheasants, maybe the odd one, more “mid range” pheasants. Just wondering if these would be good for what I’ll use them for?

Also, what is going on with the shot sizes? As far as I can tell, the gamebore cartridges all have different shot sizes for the same shot number. So the 6 in black golds is actually a 5 and the 5 and 4.5 loads are actually both 4’s? 

19 minutes ago, figgy said:

30g 5 

use 25g 6 for normal pheasants and enjoy what the 20bore is designed for. 

I currently shoot 30g 5. Don’t mind as I don’t feel recoil so I don’t mind shooting heavier loads. I can still get what the 20 bore is made for as it is light and smaller but i don’t see why not have these advantages with the same amount of shot as a 12 bore. 

I tried putting 28g through my 28bore when I had one. I have to admit it was much nicer with 21 to 23 gram carts and was a pleasure to shoot. With 19g it was very smooth and still gave good kills. 

Friend was putting black gold through his 20 bore and it was giving good kills but the gun did jump a bit. I can’t remember what weight carts they were.

Edited by figgy

I use black gold through my mossy hush .but darent put them through my light weight ou.as the recoil will be too great .

They are a punchy cartridge but kill well .loaded with diamond shot (harder than normal lead, so doesnt deform as much in the barrel and hence gives tighter and better patterns . (Holds energy well down range as a result. ) 

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I use black gold through my mossy hush .but darent put them through my light weight ou.as the recoil will be too great .

They are a punchy cartridge but kill well .loaded with diamond shot (harder than normal lead, so doesnt deform as much in the barrel and hence gives tighter and better patterns . (Holds energy well down range as a result. ) 

only use subsonic 30g 5's what's the noise level like .

29 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Would you say they are a punchy cartridge in particular. More recoil than a usual 20 bore 30 gram cartridge? 

Yes .i also shoot nsi 32 grm no 6 And they are a toucher easier on the shoulder and ears 

The way i look at it is in 20b .gamebore black gold 32 grm no 5 is the biggest baddest cartridge there is. If you cant kill what you aim at with these then its either too far away or you missed. 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes .i also shoot nsi 32 grm no 6 And they are a toucher easier on the shoulder and ears 

The way i look at it is in 20b .gamebore black gold 32 grm no 5 is the biggest baddest cartridge there is. If you cant kill what you aim at with these then its either too far away or you missed. 

Ah ok. Can’t be doing with that - no excuse for a miss 😱

In my life I only ever shot with 20 bores and reloaded up to 40+ grams so, not sure what the fuss is about. 30g is a slightly bigger payload than I would use for mid range pheasants, and my choice would be 28g 5 or 4. But if it gives you confidence, then go for it, surely won't do much damage other than knock some pheasants down.

Edited by Continental Shooter

4 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

In my life I only ever shot with 20 bores and reloaded up to 40+ grams so, not sure what the fuss is about. 30g is a slightly bigger payload than I would use for mid range pheasants, and my choice would be 28g 5 or 4. But if it gives you confidence, then go for it, surely won't do much damage other than knock some pheasants down.

Ok thanks. I’ll need more than confidence to hit anything! 

I don’t get recoil through my over under with 30 grams but wouldn’t like to try 40 grams! 

18 hours ago, Gungoesbang said:

Ok thanks. I’ll need more than confidence to hit anything! 

I don’t get recoil through my over under with 30 grams but wouldn’t like to try 40 grams! 

Haha 40grams is a lot and the shell is relatively slow. It was designed to shoot long distance competitions and very high pigeons migrating over the Pyrenees. If your problem is aim, then 40grams will only exacerbate that as they need more forward lead than usuan. I think a good speed 28-30 grams load on a M/IM choke should be enough for mid range pheasants. Don't forget to pattern the shells on your gun to see how they shoot. 

11 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Haha 40grams is a lot and the shell is relatively slow. It was designed to shoot long distance competitions and very high pigeons migrating over the Pyrenees. If your problem is aim, then 40grams will only exacerbate that as they need more forward lead than usuan. I think a good speed 28-30 grams load on a M/IM choke should be enough for mid range pheasants. Don't forget to pattern the shells on your gun to see how they shoot. 

I’m not planning on putting 40 grams through my 20. 30 grams should do me nicely. 👍🏻