Government wasting Taxpayers money on needless advertising

JRDS

Why are they wasting money on adverts telling us not to take antibiotics when they are only available through your Doctors on Prescription and it is up to him or her to decide whether they are needed or not.   Total waste of Taxpayers money from where I am sat.

Edited by JRDS

No - they are trying to educate the right people.  In many cases when someone goes to the surgery with a cold (I know not necessary but they do) and the doc tells them it will be gone in a week, just stay warm and hydrated, some patients do not believe them and demand they "DO SOMETHING" and demand antibiotics.  Often it is both cheaper and easier to give in than have a 30 min  acrimonious argument and a report to compile when the patient has complained to the local health authority. 

5 minutes ago, walshie said:

I bet it didn't cost as much as all that remain nonsense that Cameron posted to everyone in the country. (For no reason.)

And it will be just a mere bagatelle compared to the cost of paperwork, civil servant increase, travel delays, shipping delays, lost jobs, lost production, lost investment, satellite systems, divorce bill, visa costs, new borders,  licencing, tariff fees and so on associated with Brexit. (for no reason)

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

And it will be just a mere bagatelle compared to the cost of paperwork, civil servant increase, travel delays, shipping delays, lost jobs, lost production, lost investment, satellite systems, divorce bill, visa costs, new borders,  licencing, tariff fees and so on associated with Brexit. (for no reason)

Predictable, but still only opinion no fact.

Edited by Yellow Bear

Listening to the news just, perhaps nothing compared to what will be wasted trying to keep out the returning IS fighters?

I see the family of one have already declared taking the refusal of entry to court.

Looks like we will pay for the lawyers, costs of repatriation, expenses, benifts etc when the judiciary do their usual turncoat trick?

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

You can't know that. No-one does. It's just hearsay, hyperbole and scaremongering at the minute. 

3 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

No - they are trying to educate the right people.  In many cases when someone goes to the surgery with a cold (I know not necessary but they do) and the doc tells them it will be gone in a week, just stay warm and hydrated, some patients do not believe them and demand they "DO SOMETHING" and demand antibiotics.  Often it is both cheaper and easier to give in than have a 30 min  acrimonious argument and a report to compile when the patient has complained to the local health authority. 

This is exactly what tends to happen.  A retired Doctor friend used to get people 'demanding' antibiotics ...... even so 'they didn't get a cold over Christmas'.

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

I sort of agree. But why do they “demand” antibiotics? Oh yes, because the same medical professionals ,who now preach the dangers of resistance, spent decades expediting patient transit by prescribing antibiotics for all manner of minor viral infections. You reap what you sow.

10 hours ago, SpringDon said:

I sort of agree. But why do they “demand” antibiotics? Oh yes, because the same medical professionals ,who now preach the dangers of resistance, spent decades expediting patient transit by prescribing antibiotics for all manner of minor viral infections. You reap what you sow.

Actually I think there are a lot of poorly educated people out there. And also a whole lot of people who think they’re owed something for nothing, and think it’s acceptable to shout and rave until they get what they want.  

My lodger is a nurse in intensive care, she had a family last night screaming at one of their nurses because she kept ‘getting in their way’ and was ‘always buzzing around’ whilst they were trying to see their dad. 

The guys on a ventilator and needs checks every few minutes. 

The Dr pulled them aside and said if they talk to the nurses like that they won’t even be allowed in the ward. 

Next thing they were wingeing to the nurse that the ventilator was too loud, and why can’t they turn it down because they’re trying to watch the tv! 

This conversation happened at my surgery as I was standing in the queue:

Concerned (healthy, middle aged) Patient: I'm worried about the swine flu virus epidemic. Should I get antibiotics, just in case?

Receptionist: 'we can't give out that sort of advice and we're really not in a position to give out antiBIOTICS for a viral infection [HINT, HINT].'

Patient: but why can't you? what should I do?

Exasperated, overworked GP who's just walked into reception to speak to exasperated, overworked receptionist: 'Go out, catch it, go to bed, get over it.'

A week later I found out the patient had made a complaint, which fortunately went nowhere. These people are out there, they do walk among us. Anything that stops people needlessly taking up appointments, getting drugs for unnecessary reasons and demanding things from doctors because they think they know best gets my vote.

Some people have a predefined demanding expectation before a consultation has even started that they know exactly what is wrong, what treatment they require and when they will be cured by. The diagnosis has already been established and that no questions or physical examination be required.

Would it not be wonderful!

I wish it was so simple, it would make things a whole easier.

atb

7diaw

7 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

This conversation happened at my surgery as I was standing in the queue:

Concerned (healthy, middle aged) Patient: I'm worried about the swine flu virus epidemic. Should I get antibiotics, just in case?

Receptionist: 'we can't give out that sort of advice and we're really not in a position to give out antiBIOTICS for a viral infection [HINT, HINT].'

Patient: but why can't you? what should I do?

Exasperated, overworked GP who's just walked into reception to speak to exasperated, overworked receptionist: 'Go out, catch it, go to bed, get over it.'

A week later I found out the patient had made a complaint, which fortunately went nowhere. These people are out there, they do walk among us. Anything that stops people needlessly taking up appointments, getting drugs for unnecessary reasons and demanding things from doctors because they think they know best gets my vote.

Simply amazing.