Pulsar XQ38F

walshie

White hot for me. i did hear that red hot was better for protecting the night vision so tried that for a while  but when used much of the background is white so I don't think it helps. I also try to minimise the brightness and wish there were settings below zero. 

I am just about to send my pulsar back for repair as the eye cup rubbers have deteriorated. I received a spare set but lost them as the inner needs to be glued on. I did not realise until recently that you can change the front lenses from my current 38mm to a 50mm but for an extra £1000 I dont imagine that happening any time soon. 

Amazing pieces of kit. I have earlier tonight helped a local farmer find a cow in calf that escaped from a field and then in the last 10 mins shot a fox from the kitchen window. I am so reliant on it that I am dreading the thing going back for repair. 

Edited by oowee

• 1 month later...

Well i've had a month or so tweaking various settings and red hot seems to work best for my old eyes.  Thermal is a real game changer, but whereas before you would keep searching with the lamp in the hope of a bit of eyeshine, when nothing shows up on the thermal, you know there really is nothing around and you should be indoors. 

071218.png.9bd0f75c6f67baf9984b604e87636133.png

1 minute ago, racing snake said:

Always used white hot.

I always use whit but for a while tried red hoping that it would save night vision when i looked away. That did not work and I do not think it is so sensitive. I think the red needs a larger source to show it. We were on a golf course and in the roof was a fox laying on its side, ear upwards. The red could not see it but the white did. Also whilst a quick scan is all that you need I still do a double r triple take just in case something is moving through cover. Also if the 38 is focused on say 200 yds if there is a small heat source at say 600 it might not show up without a refocus. 

13 minutes ago, oowee said:

I always use whit but for a while tried red hoping that it would save night vision when i looked away. That did not work and I do not think it is so sensitive. I think the red needs a larger source to show it. We were on a golf course and in the roof was a fox laying on its side, ear upwards. The red could not see it but the white did. Also whilst a quick scan is all that you need I still do a double r triple take just in case something is moving through cover. Also if the 38 is focused on say 200 yds if there is a small heat source at say 600 it might not show up without a refocus. 

Never liked the colour palettes Grant, just found them an extra distraction. Only way to save night vision is to use same eye for monocular and scope, you can at least save it on one eye (natural night vision is independent as the pupil contracts to the light source). I've been mildly interested in the new Pulsar Accolade, but only because of the built-in RF. I'll resist until they bring out a monocular version though, the loss of natural NV from the binocular viewing would be horrendous.