DTL,

redial

This was my discipline many years ago. I watched a few lines recently and talked with some of the guys.

It seems to have changed slightly, no longer 3/4 & full  as the norm or even full & full. Many using 1/2 & 3/4 some 1/2 &1/2 and a lot using 8 shot.

Is it just DTL or is this the case for other trap disciplines.

Edited by redial
Error

I haven't shot DTL seriously for 30 odd years. Nowadays I shoot ABT, UT and OT the targets are quicker and have a greater distance.  I use more open fixed chokes my Perazzi is roughly 1/2 and 3/4 and my newly acquired DT10 is around 5/8 and 7/8.  Quite a few trap guns, notably Browning and Guerini, are available multichoked so I guess owners are experimenting with more open chokes.  I use Fiocchi cartridges with Italian 7.5 shot so 2.4mm or English 7.  

That was the year I finished 9th in the Skeet, using an AyA  no. 2. 26" barrels 1/4 &1/2 chokes.   It was the canon that I remember, more than the shooting  !  Bits of bog roll alight everywhere.  :lol:

I used a borrowed 1100 Trap and never had any complaints, BUT it was not ported. I went on to buy that gun. It was really only in the 90's when comps were 100 birds and 100 straights were common, winners being decided by second barrels that complaints about auto's started.  Mind you, the all time DTL winner Sandy Shiach NEVER complained.  

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Westley said:

That was the year I finished 9th in the Skeet, using an AyA  no. 2. 26" barrels 1/4 &1/2 chokes.   It was the canon that I remember, more than the shooting  !  Bits of bog roll alight everywhere.  :lol:

I used a borrowed 1100 Trap and never had any complaints, BUT it was not ported. I went on to buy that gun. It was really only in the 90's when comps were 100 birds and 100 straights were common, winners being decided by second barrels that complaints about auto's started.  Mind you, the all time DTL winner Sandy Shiach NEVER complained.  

Sandy !!!  names from the past.  Went from there to the Welsh Hills for a day on the grouse only to find the whole mountain ablaze.

On 27/10/2018 at 11:23, PhilR said:

I haven't shot DTL seriously for 30 odd years. Nowadays I shoot ABT, UT and OT the targets are quicker and have a greater distance.  I use more open fixed chokes my Perazzi is roughly 1/2 and 3/4 and my newly acquired DT10 is around 5/8 and 7/8.  Quite a few trap guns, notably Browning and Guerini, are available multichoked so I guess owners are experimenting with more open chokes.  I use Fiocchi cartridges with Italian 7.5 shot so 2.4mm or English 7.  

Was speaking to a lad last Saturday, one of the better shots, he's 1/4 n' #8's & 1/2 n' #7.5 english, plas wads, for DTL.

I'm 3/8 & 7/8 fiocchi Fblu "7.5" (2.4mm) plastic for both.