Rules..for the many, or the few ?

Rewulf

Latest;

"The former aide to a Labour MP felt "morally and legally" obliged to give evidence against her after learning she had tried to dodge a speeding ticket, a court has heard.

Peterborough MP, Fiona Onasanya, told police she was not driving her car when it was clocked doing 41mph in a 30mph zone in Thorney, Cambridgeshire on the evening of 24 July 2017.

But she is accused of lying about the incident and plotting with her brother, Festus, 33, to  blame a Russian man, Aleks Antipow, as person behind the wheel when the camera was triggered.

After reading about the trial her former head of communications, Dr Christian DeFeo contacted police to say that the MP had visited him on the night of the alleged speeding offence.

Appearing at the Old Bailey, Dr DeFeo said he had discussed with his wife, Christina Earle, whether to come forward and give evidence against the MP, and decided it was his moral duty.

He said: "I worked for Ms Onasanya and I have had enormous hopes invested in her. I never dreamed in my darkest dreams or thought that I would be sitting here.

"It is with the greatest reluctance that I have had to do this, but to do otherwise; I cannot. It is morally and legally unacceptable."

Dr DeFeo told the court he had run Ms Onasanya's 2017 election campaign and had also penned a "Westminster Life" column on the local newspaper.

He said after realising the alleged offence had taken place on the road where he lived on the night she had visited him, he decided to contact police.

Asked what time she arrived, he said: "I cannot say a specific time, however she arrived late and was there quite late because we offered her a bed to stay the night.

"She arrived in her car, a Nissan Micra. She arrived alone. She pulled up her car in front of our house and I greeted her at the door.

Asked how long the meeting lasted, he said: "As far as I am aware, no less than two hours."

Dr DeFeo also told the court he had never seen anyone but Onasanya behind the wheel of her Micra and was not aware of her knowing anyone else in the village of Thornley.

The court heard there had been a "bit of a falling out" between the MP and Ms Earle after an event marking 100 years of Labour in Peterborough was cancelled by Ms Onasanya.

Asked by prosecutor David Jeremy QC whether he "had it in" for Onasanya as a result of the dispute, Dr DeFeo said he did not, and added: "From day one I wanted her to succeed.

"I wanted her to be a great MP and I said on a number of occasions that I wanted her to be an MP as long as she wanted to be.

"It's a terrible thing to have to do this."

Ms Onasanya, from Peterborough, denies one count of perverting the course of justice.

Her brother has pleaded guilty to three charges of perverting the course of justice, including to one related to the July 24 incident.

The trial continues.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

"The former aide to a Labour MP felt "morally and legally" obliged

Of course, naturally - just doing his duty and all that.

So why do the letters CYA keep popping up in my head?

Not that I'm any fan of this Onasanya woman. I'm just pointing out that in these political circles you wouldn't need to trust anyone at all.

Edited by Retsdon

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Not that I'm any fan of this Onasanya woman. I'm just pointing out that in these political circles you wouldn't need to trust anyone at all.

I don't really get what you are trying to say. 

Are you trying to say that because She is a politician, that this crime and subsequent trial is political, or are you trying to say that because She is a politician, that the aide should have lied for her. 

The fact that She is a politician shouldn't come into it, other than if found guilty, She should never be able to be one again.

And because of her "trusted" protected, privileged representative position, and the associated financial and other advantages she receives.....if guilty, her dishonesty, greed and refusal to "come clean", must be taken properly into account prior to sentence .........and she should be made an example of!.....receiving the heaviest possible sentence!

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Are you trying to say that because She is a politician, that this crime and subsequent trial is political, or are you trying to say that because She is a politician, that the aide should have lied for her. 

I was just speculating on the aide's motive for bobbing up as a witness for the prosecution. Was it because he felt it was, as he says, his civic duty, or was it because he thought he might just be in line himself for some kind of charge of withholding evidence or whatever if he DIDN'T go out of his way to dob in his boss? If the police questioned him directly, fair enough, I can understand him not lying, but my impression was that he'd actually volunteered his services for the prosecution. But I don't suppose I"d bother crossing a room to talk to either of them, quite frankly, so not a big deal either way. :)

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

I was just speculating on the aide's motive for bobbing up as a witness for the prosecution. Was it because he felt it was, as he says, his civic duty, or was it because he thought he might just be in line himself for some kind of charge of withholding evidence or whatever if he DIDN'T go out of his way to dob in his boss? If the police questioned him directly, fair enough, I can understand him not lying, but my impression was that he'd actually volunteered his services for the prosecution. But I don't suppose I"d bother crossing a room to talk to either of them, quite frankly, so not a big deal either way. :)

:good:

42 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Dob in his boss ?

Believe it or not, there are still a scattered few people in society who have a conscience and a sense of right and wrong.

The police would not have questioned him directly , because he was not in the picture.
She claimed in writing that she was not driving the car, (in legal terms this is called making a false instrument, another thing she should be on trial for) so why would the police want to question Mr Defeo.
I know what youre thinking, why did he wait till the trial was half way through ? He surely must have known what was happening ?

Well, where did YOU hear about it ?
Its hardly been front page news, until well after the trial started, its STILL not really front page news, despite the imminent jailing of a front bench labour MP, a little like Ms Osamors sons trial and resultant furore.
Strange that.

As she didn't comment on any questions, it would not have emerged that she had a friend in Thorney - a very, very small village - who she now says she visited around 5.00pm on the very day - not 10.00pm. Hence the Police did not question him. He read about the event in the local paper - checked up that it was the same day she had visited him and his wife. Whether he and his wife have an axe to grind, it doesn't alter the facts. Are they committing perjury or will she? I don't see a third option.

What are the chances of a Russian - not in the country at the time, borrowing her car and her two phones, travelling through the same village later that evening?

6 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

As she didn't comment on any questions, it would not have emerged that she had a friend in Thorney - a very, very small village - who she now says she visited around 5.00pm on the very day - not 10.00pm. Hence the Police did not question him. He read about the event in the local paper - checked up that it was the same day she had visited him and his wife. Whether he and his wife have an axe to grind, it doesn't alter the facts. Are they committing perjury or will she? I don't see a third option.

What are the chances of a Russian - not in the country at the time, borrowing her car and her two phones, travelling through the same village later that evening?

About as likely as two Russian secret service agents coming here for a day or two solely to visit Salisbury cathedral! I would think? Lol!

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

And because of her "trusted" protected, privileged representative position, and the associated financial and other advantages she receives.....if guilty, her dishonesty, greed and refusal to "come clean", must be taken properly into account prior to sentence .........and she should be made an example of!.....receiving the heaviest possible sentence!

I totally agree but have just split my seams laughing. Teflon in abundance probably.

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Dob in his boss ?

Believe it or not, there are still a scattered few people in society who have a conscience and a sense of right and wrong.

The police would not have questioned him directly , because he was not in the picture.
She claimed in writing that she was not driving the car, (in legal terms this is called making a false instrument, another thing she should be on trial for) so why would the police want to question Mr Defeo.
I know what youre thinking, why did he wait till the trial was half way through ? He surely must have known what was happening ?

Well, where did YOU hear about it ?
Its hardly been front page news, until well after the trial started, its STILL not really front page news, despite the imminent jailing of a front bench labour MP, a little like Ms Osamors sons trial and resultant furore.
Strange that.

Thankfully a few.

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Agreed.

Ms Onasanya is pleading illness and forgetfulness now.
Me thinks its a bit late to start making excuses when youve taken the case to the Bailey, but no doubt she still believes she can swerve  jail.
To be honest, it wouldnt surprise me if she got a suspended sentence because of who she is.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-mp-fiona-onasanya-tells-court-her-brother-said-he-had-sorted-out-speeding-ticket-1-8711127

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What a cop out, I do hope she receives exactly what an ordinary person might receive!

Shes too busy being an MP to deal with it 😁
Although a solicitor by trade , didnt know that she had to fill the NIP out, blaming it on her brother and phantom Russians.
Surely a good church going woman, in public service, wouldnt lie to a crown court ? :whistling:

Was she driving the car at the time? She still appears to be dodging the issue. Either she was or she has no idea who was driving her car, to her friends' remote village, carrying her two mobile phones.

If she is found not guilty, I will genuinely lose all faith in the justice system.

Perhaps Festus could sort out Brexit, whilst he is on a roll.

Edited by Gordon R

38 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Surely a good church going woman, in public service, wouldnt lie to a crown court ?

She may have been following her respected leader's example on honesty (as a good front bench MP, one should of course follow one'sleader's example) ....... when he promised students loan refunds.

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Was she driving the car at the time? She still appears to be dodging the issue. Either she was or she has no idea who was driving her car, to her friends' remote village, carrying her two mobile phones.

Clearly someone else was - whilst she obviously made the (same) journey both ways by hitch-hiking or some equally untraceable means.  Completely innocent of anything other than lying, wasting public time and money - all of which are in a days normal work for an MP.