Rules..for the many, or the few ?

Rewulf

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

"if the sentence is less than a year then a recall petition can force a by-election if it is signed by more than 10% of the electorate in the Cambridgeshire seat."

Time to start an online petition?

Fiona Onasanya, Peterborough’s Labour* MP who was last year found guilty of perverting the course of justice, has been sentenced this morning to three months. She has become the first woman MP ever to be jailed…

The judge said that  “If she wasn’t an MP or wasn’t in a position of responsibility, she would go inside. It’s not one law for those in a position of power, and another for those who are not.”

“By the time you met a police investigator, you knew that you were providing information that you knew to be untrue. You deliberately committed the offend of which you are convicted.  That was a disastrous decision. It is an aggravating feature that you both persisted with dishonest course… It was a serious and flagrant offence.”

Onasanya’s defence argued that as a barrister and an MP, prison time would be overly harsh, as “she will no longer be able to work in either of her chosen professions.” Guido would have thought that she should have considered this before attempting to pervert the course of justice…

Her brother Festus, who had previously been sentenced to 54 months back in 2011 for offensive robbery, and had a raft of drug offences is expected to serve prison time for ten months. His guilty plea entitled him to a reduction of 15%.

Upon her conviction last year, Onasanya compared herself to Jesus, claiming she was “in good biblical company” with Joseph, Moses, and Daniel as well, “who were each found guilty by the courts of their day.” Today she failed to rise again…

A by-election is now all but certain. The sentence leads to a Recall Petition, triggering a by-election if 10% of Peterborough constituents sign it. Onasanya won the heavily leave voting seat in 2017 with a majority of just 607. The local Tory candidate is already out campaigning…

*Former Labour MP, she votes with the Labour front bench even though she was expelled from the party.

UPDATE:  Labour have called on Onasanya to “act honourably and resign.” A spokesman said “she should do this without delay and not take another penny in salary from the public purse.” They’ve also confirmed that they will support efforts to out her through a recall petition if she refuses to budge…

5 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Labour have called on Onasanya to “act honourably and resign.” A spokesman said “she should do this without delay and not take another penny in salary from the public purse.” They’ve also confirmed that they will support efforts to out her through a recall petition if she refuses to budge…

I will believe this when and if  it happens - at the moment the leiboor party are changing their mind with 180 deg flips more often than their socks.

incredibly lenient sentence, historically 8 months to 4 and a half years for an MP committing perjury  - a pity the crown cannot appeal the leniency of the sentence - I hope that she does appeal as it would give another judge the chance to deal with her properly and in proportion.

35 minutes ago, Lord v said:

Has future BB or celebrity get me in there contestant written all over her.

You have a point there !

First female MP to be jailed ever.. I can see the book sales and film rights now .
She is (in)famous , and Im not even joking, the longer she fights for staying in Parliament the more publicity (= £ ) she gets.

Idris Elba for uncle Festus ?? 🤣

Edited by Rewulf

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You have a point there !

First female MP to be jailed ever.. I can see the book sales and film rights now .
She is (in)famous , and Im not even joking, the longer she fights for staying in Parliament the more publicity (= £ ) she gets.

Idris Elba for uncle Festus ?? 🤣

I bet Channel 5 are already on the blower. 🤣

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I had already sent them an email, but the charge of perverting the course of justice doesn't meet the criteria. But I listed the other crimes she committed but wasn't tried for like, fraud (which does meet the criteria) and purjury.

Fingers crossed but I don't think it will go anywhere.

Edited by Newbie to this

11 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Fingers crossed but I don't think it will go anywhere.

Looks like it is going ahead; https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/jailed-mp-fiona-onasanyas-sentence-to-be-reviewed-after-complaint-it-is-unduly-lenient-a4054406.html

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-47071120

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A date has apparently been set to waste more taxpayers money on this useless waste of space!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-47203814

She'll be out by then anyway! 

Her best bet would be to keep it shut, she's too bothered about the £1500 a week gravy train stopping. 

• 2 weeks later...