Jump to content
Rewulf

Rules..for the many, or the few ?

    Recommended Posts

    16 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

    To be honest, I think things have gone too far for a token sentence.

    She has run two trials, at great expense to the taxpayers. She has never admitted her guilt, shown no remorse whatsoever, lied, cast doubt on the honesty of at least three witnesses and thrown her brother to the wolves. Not to mention speeding, using her phone whilst driving.

    In addition, she is carrying on as if she has done absolutely nothing wrong. I will be interested in hearing Christine Agnew's mitigation speech. If she goes down the road of Onasanya was ill at the time or she was under pressure - it will count for nothing, as these excuses have already drawn a blank and would be treating the judge as being as stupid as Onasanya thought the juries were.

    It will also be extremely interesting to see what Festus gets for his 3 crimes that he admitted to and what she gets for maintaining her unrepentent and aloof attitude.

    Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
    Spellage!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    In the grand scheme of things, Festus , having admitted guilt , should get less than his sister.
    Should, being the operative word.
    I can see the book being thrown at him though , while she gets a token, quite probably suspended sentence, due to her illness, character ect.
    I believe even a suspended sentence over a year, gets her booted out of her seat however.

    Like has been said though, the troubling aspect of this story is the thinking behind trying to 'get away with it '
    When 2 supposedly upstanding members of the community, both 'devout' church goers , have such contempt for the law, that they are prepared to lie, and perjure themselves, just to avoid some points and £100 worth of fines.
    It makes you wonder where we are going in society.
    Did either of them think their colour or heritage would make them more believable , or indeed less touchable ?
    Like the original point of this thread, does being in a privileged position make you think you are above the law ?

    We can all remember footballers and celebrities Mr fixit lawyers making a mockery of speeding trials.
    Not to de rail , but the Asian grooming gangs, did they think having minority ' protected ' status, somehow makes the law less effective or applicable to them ?

    Where does this end?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    22 hours ago, panoma1 said:

    What's the betting, suspended sentence, fine and community service? And/or maybe a short token custodial sentence? Not enough for her to lose her mealticket!

    This could be a good test of our failing justice system?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Have long since observed that the end result is not the goal but that the correct processes allowing the correct boxes to be ticked are the desired objective.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    17 hours ago, Dibble said:

    Am I right in thinking if you don't show remorse you don't get parole?

    If you mean licence, generally you serve half your sentence, and the rest on licence (in the community) unless the judge recommended a minimum term.

    Remorse is not a condition of licence.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Slightly off topic, 

    Jeremy Corbyn stood accused of spreading fake news over the Christmas period, after highlighting a Channel 4 film that heaps praise on a homeless man, who complains he has not been given a bed and blames Brexit. Corbyn added his own comment, saying “this Government fails those who have given so much to our country.” The video highlights former soldier Stephen Rowe sleeping rough and complaining that in order to receive Government help “you have to fit the criteria”.In the video he does not say what criteria he fails to fit…

    Helpfully, ITV’s Peter Smith has pointed out that in this specific case “some avenues have been cut off to Mr Rowe” due to the fact that he was convicted of attacking and attempting to rape an 87 year old woman, and placed on the sex offenders register for life. The court described Rowe as “a danger to women”. Homeless veterans do receive Government help, difficulties arise in giving them a bed if they have a violent history of attacking women…

    This follows on from Corbyn’s praise of another homeless man who turned out to be a Portuguese national, and convicted paedophile who had been deported from the UK.

    UPDATE: Channel 4 News have now deleted their video from Twitter. Guido wonders if they neglected to carry out basic research before making the video, or if they just chose to leave out crucial details…

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    No longer just suspended as an MP, the disgraced former Labour Whip who compared herself to Jesus after her conviction has now been expelled from the party. Labour chairman Ian Lavery announced that she was booted out of the party after refusing to stand down and force a by election, allowing a new Labour candidate to stand in her place. She intends to sit for the remainder of the parliament. She might need to update her Twitter account… FROM GUIDO FAWKES WEBSITE LAST NIGHT, BEFORE ANY OF THE PRESS GOT IT!

    fiona.jpg?resize=540%2C269&ssl=1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)

    I really should get down to her "Surgery" and ask her a few questions!:whistling:

     

    Ian Lavery was in town last night to speak with labour supporters and to gauge the feelings as to whether they wanted her to continue to represent them!

    I presume the answer was NO!

    Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
    Syntax

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)

     

     

    On 04/01/2019 at 12:53, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    I really should get down to her "Surgery" and ask her a few questions!

    You should.

    The woman just cannot seem to stop digging. Snippet in our national paper yesterday saying she has been caught on a video pretending to chop lines of cocain with a credit card  (that was apparently something innocous) and then snort it !   I suppose she will blame someone else for leading her astray and then filming it, but the sheer arrogance of the woman is breathtaking.

    Edited by JJsDad

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    This damned woman is failing to vote in commons votes and will not answer any questions from the local paper although she continues to send in her weekly column which they dutifully print.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    This damned woman is failing to vote in commons votes and will not answer any questions from the local paper although she continues to send in her weekly column which they dutifully print.

    You can bet she continues to draw her salary and expenses as well.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, JohnfromUK said:

    You can bet she continues to draw her salary and expenses as well.

    That is another question the Peterborough Telegraph has asked her and we still await an answer!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    As I said she will "dig in tight as a tick" and keep taking the easy money! She is arrogant, has respect for no one.......and has no honour!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

    She is arrogant, has respect for no one.......and has no honour!

    Shame really - all the characteristics that do make up a successful politician these days

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

    As I said she will "dig in tight as a tick" and keep taking the easy money! She is arrogant, has respect for no one.......and has no honour!

    She and her brother need to get their affairs in order, as next week there is a very good chance of them having a holiday.
    At her Majesties pleasure.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

    next week there is a very good chance of them having a holiday.
    At her Majesties pleasure.

    They are both 'ethnic minorities' and she is female - and apparently has an illness - they will get a couple of weeks community service, suspended, he will get a driving ban, she won't because as an MP she needs to travel about her constituency.  She will get a fine, but pay it from here expense account.  She will then get promotion within her party (very likely to the Home Office or Justice Dept shadow briefs because she now has valuable experience of how British police and justice persecute and victimise 'ethnic minorities').

    Edited by JohnfromUK

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

    They are both 'ethnic minorities' and she is female - and apparently has an illness - they will get a couple of weeks community service, suspended, he will get a driving ban, she won't because as an MP she needs to travel about her constituency.  She will bet a fine, but pay it from here expense account.  She will then get promotion within her party (very likely to the Home Office or Justice Dept shadow briefs because she now has valuable experience of how British police and justice persecute and victimise 'ethnic minorities').

    She is currently an independent MP as she has been expelled from the Labour Party!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    She is currently an independent MP as she has been expelled from the Labour Party!

    I was getting facetious based on the title of the thread - "Rules for the many, or the few.

    I actually think they will both get a suspended and a fine.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    She is currently an independent MP as she has been expelled from the Labour Party!

    Exactly, she will get nothing from the labour party, in fact they would rather her go down, so they dont have to have a by election !

    Just now, JohnfromUK said:

    I was getting facetious based on the title of the thread - "Rules for the many, or the few.

    I actually think they will both get a suspended and a fine.

    Her brother will do time, he will be the scapegoat, she MIGHT get a suspended, I suspect it may be a year or more to satisfy her ejection from her seat rule.
    Like you say the fine is immaterial , but the public wants to see justice being done, and the cost of 2 trials and her lack of remorse will not help her.
    The race card has been played, and rejected, so shes got a small fallback of her illness and previous good character.
    But I wouldnt be surprised if she gets the same treatment anyone else would get, which should be 6 -12 months jail time.
    And this is completely her own fault for thinking she could blag her way out of it.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

    I was getting facetious based on the title of the thread - "Rules for the many, or the few.

    I actually think they will both get a suspended and a fine.

    The party see her as a massive embarrassment and first suspended her and very quickly raised that to expulsion as they have enough troubles to deal with.

    Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
    Syntax!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The Spectator sums the situation up quite nicely;

    At the end of last year Labour MP Fiona Onasanya was convicted of perverting the course of justice, after lying to police about a speeding charge. She has since been suspended from the Labour party but will remain the MP for Peterborough unless she is recalled or sentenced to longer than one year in jail.

    In response to the verdict, Onasanya had what we might call an unusual reaction. In messages to colleagues the MP compared her plight to that of Jesus and Moses and in a newspaper column, vowed to carry on fighting as an independent MP, promising to fight this ‘botched Brexit deal’:

    This is why I have continued to scrutinise this botched Brexit deal: a deal that does not take back control, nor provide industry, business, and left behind communities with confidence. I will continue to do so as we approach March 29, 2019, because Peterborough deserves much better than what is currently on offer.’

    Alas, Mr S has reason to believe that the MP might not be making the triumphant return she was hoping for. Onasanya’s local paper, the Peterborough Telegraph, has spotted that the MP did not vote on two major Brexit votes week (the Grieve and Cooper amendments), and Mr S can confirm that according to Hansard, she has not participated in any votes or spoken in the House of Commons this year.

    Should we send out the search party? Or maybe rest easy in the knowledge that  Fiona Onasanya has taken her own advice, and realised that Peterborough does indeed deserve ‘better than what is currently on offer’.

     

    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/fiona-onasanya-goes-awol/

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    The Spectator sums the situation up quite nicely;

    At the end of last year Labour MP Fiona Onasanya was convicted of perverting the course of justice, after lying to police about a speeding charge. She has since been suspended from the Labour party but will remain the MP for Peterborough unless she is recalled or sentenced to longer than one year in jail.

    In response to the verdict, Onasanya had what we might call an unusual reaction. In messages to colleagues the MP compared her plight to that of Jesus and Moses and in a newspaper column, vowed to carry on fighting as an independent MP, promising to fight this ‘botched Brexit deal’:

    This is why I have continued to scrutinise this botched Brexit deal: a deal that does not take back control, nor provide industry, business, and left behind communities with confidence. I will continue to do so as we approach March 29, 2019, because Peterborough deserves much better than what is currently on offer.’

    Alas, Mr S has reason to believe that the MP might not be making the triumphant return she was hoping for. Onasanya’s local paper, the Peterborough Telegraph, has spotted that the MP did not vote on two major Brexit votes week (the Grieve and Cooper amendments), and Mr S can confirm that according to Hansard, she has not participated in any votes or spoken in the House of Commons this year.

    Should we send out the search party? Or maybe rest easy in the knowledge that  Fiona Onasanya has taken her own advice, and realised that Peterborough does indeed deserve ‘better than what is currently on offer’.

     

    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/fiona-onasanya-goes-awol/

     Very good. 👍

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×